EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2025 EQS Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-24, 09:19 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It looks even worse now with the traditional Mercedes “grille” panel on the front. Now it just looks like a giant computer mouse with a Mercedes grille and a hood ornament, Fix the shape of the car Mercedes! The grille wasn’t the problem. The interior looks the same to me, and I still don’t like the hyperscreen.
Old 04-11-24, 12:23 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I don't know if MB have released the range estimates for this refresh but we should be well beyond range anxiety by now given the relatively low daily mileage of the average American. Anything over 250 mile range and the average driver is lasting a week plus on a singe charge. If it turns out you don't fit that profile and/or you can't change at home then sure this (or any EV) might not be for you. But for the average driver, there is literally nothing on the market that won't see them through a working week with little to no range anxiety.
You are absolutely right. But you are speaking in rational facts. Unfortunately humans as a species are far from rational, and these internal hangups continue to exist, even when there's no real rational basis for them.
The following 2 users liked this post by geko29:
bowser (04-11-24), swajames (04-11-24)
Old 04-11-24, 02:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I have an ignorant question to ask. How much range would a car lose by being more "traditionally" shaped instead of "EV shaped"? Ex: if this EQS was shaped exactly like an S550, how much would the range decrease? 10%? If yes, on a car that might get 200 miles/day (highway only), why would I care if it got 180 miles by having a more "traditional" design? This is part of what I don't understand about Hyundai and Kia designs. They make beautiful mainstream cars, but (IMO) make EV's that are odd in shape and design in order to maximize efficiency. For the average person driving 50-70 miles/day and could charge at home nightly, who cares?
Remember, the EQS anf the Model S have similar drag coefficients. You can design a aerodynamic car that is attractive

Originally Posted by Carfan94
It looks even worse now with the traditional Mercedes “grille” panel on the front. Now it just looks like a giant computer mouse with a Mercedes grille and a hood ornament, Fix the shape of the car Mercedes! The grille wasn’t the problem. The interior looks the same to me, and I still don’t like the hyperscreen.
The shape changes are coming in 2026, this is just an emergency tweak.
Old 04-11-24, 04:34 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (04-11-24)
Old 04-11-24, 07:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
In person the interior is a let down, quality is much closer to an E Class than an S Class,
to you. not everyone will see the interior the way you do. you have a major issue with any plastic from knee level and below. i on the other hand, couldn't care less, i think there would be a wide range of views on this. i think the exterior is much more of a love hate for people than the interior.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I have an ignorant question to ask. How much range would a car lose by being more "traditionally" shaped instead of "EV shaped"? Ex: if this EQS was shaped exactly like an S550, how much would the range decrease?
but you can't make an eqs 'exactly like a s550' (s580?) because the drivetrains are entirely different, without significant interior space compromises in either the ice or the ev versions.

10%? If yes, on a car that might get 200 miles/day (highway only), why would I care if it got 180 miles by having a more "traditional" design? This is part of what I don't understand about Hyundai and Kia designs. They make beautiful mainstream cars, but (IMO) make EV's that are odd in shape and design in order to maximize efficiency. For the average person driving 50-70 miles/day and could charge at home nightly, who cares?
as geko pointed out, even if people only do 'short' commute type daily use, that doesn't mean they NEVER go longer distances. for example, if my ioniq 5 only had 180mi. max range, i would not have got it. on a trip i make a few times a year, i would not want to have to do several charging stops.

The proof is in the sales and what MB is doing though,
maybe, i don't know what their expectations were. the lc500 sells in tiny numbers too... did lexus 'screw up' with the design? i don't think so, it's just a niche purchase. i can't believe mercedes expected the eqs to sell in the same volume as the s-class.

clearly the car doesn’t land with buyers as they had hoped.
what do you base this on?

There are many traditional MB buyers like me who want a more traditional looking MB EV.
no doubt. but there's corvette buyers who wanted a more traditional looking corvette than the radically different mid engined c8. can't please everyone.

this:
it is amazing to me how much the traditional grille and the hood ornament improve its appeal.
and this:
Originally Posted by Carfan94
It looks even worse now with the traditional Mercedes “grille” panel on the front. Now it just looks like a giant computer mouse with a Mercedes grille and a hood ornament
you know what they say about opinions... everyone has one.

we should be well beyond range anxiety by now given the relatively low daily mileage of the average American.
not this again. averages are just that, averages. it means a lot of people do over the average daily. even without considering the average, most drivers will take the cars on drives/trips WAY longer than 'average'. maybe once a year. maybe once a month. point is, with limited range that may be ok for 'average' daily use, it's a royal pain for longer use.

Anything over 250 mile range and the average driver is lasting a week plus on a singe charge.
my ioniq 5 gets about 250 on a 100% charge. concensus is charging to 100% and then not charging again until it's very low, and doing that over and over, is really a bad idea for battery health. of course those with charging at home wouldn't do this anyway. i tend to charge every other day in normal commute use. was doing to 90%, now to 80% because it's 'enough'. and 80% means about 200mi. of range. won't need it on a typical day (a commute and back is less than 40), but many days i drive closer to 100 or more.

Remember, the EQS anf the Model S have similar drag coefficients. You can design a aerodynamic car that is attractive
irrelevant as they have entirely different drivetrains. you can't make the s class design today an ev, and you can't make the eqs an ice car unless both went majorly under the knife.
Old 04-11-24, 07:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
to you. not everyone will see the interior the way you do. you have a major issue with any plastic from knee level and below. i on the other hand, couldn't care less, i think there would be a wide range of views on this. i think the exterior is much more of a love hate for people than the interior.
You should read and watch the reviews. It’s a $130,000 ultra luxury car, the interior is important. This is not a “me” thing, it’s commonly brought up in reviews and in discussion of the car in the MB world.

Also, I’m a consumer in this segment remember.

but you can't make an eqs 'exactly like a s550' (s580?) because the drivetrains are entirely different, without significant interior space compromises in either the ice or the ev versions.
BMW 7, Genesis G80…

maybe, i don't know what their expectations were. the lc500 sells in tiny numbers too... did lexus 'screw up' with the design? i don't think so, it's just a niche purchase. i can't believe mercedes expected the eqs to sell in the same volume as the s-class.
They expected it to do much better than it has. It’s a big sales disappointment.

what do you base this on?

The poor sales and the emergency refresh. Talk to dealers, like I said my dealer has stopped stocking EQS sedans entirely. The EQS sedan has the worst resale value of any car currently on sale. I can lease an EQS at the same MSRP as an S Class for half the payment. That’s not because it’s a runaway success that’s because they have massive, massive incentives to try and sell them. I was offered a $130,000 EQS 580 for $750 a month. $130,000 S580 is $2,000 a month.

So, that’s what I base the comment “it hasn’t landed like they would have hoped” on

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/10/mercedes-eqs-is-missing-the-mark-according-to-dealers-and-sales-data/

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/cars/news-blog/report-mercedes-having-tough-time-selling-evs-44503384

https://www.autoblog.com/2024/02/12/mercedes-benz-planning-new-design-language-for-its-range-of-evs/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudnd2b3J0ZXguY29tLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAI8aPaiWsB8LkPVaFb7nMUStGDnccDzjw4uTpdhiD5gqe7xhfE6fNTvPhSmHbjjDP9XHi73z_1pxb8s3qXPWWImpkYUYYp42eh2Ob7P0eDIi4HF60lLwC4Jcqhh2F608aUXguMI0DaFe47rru_Pue-jt_9vneRRo5SGjEFeujn_y

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-11-24 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-12-24, 01:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts

In person the interior is a let down, quality is much closer to an E Class than an S Class, hopefully this refresh includes improvements there but it’s hard to tell in pictures.
that was the main focus, quality and also comfort of interior, especially back seat.
Old 04-12-24, 01:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts

I don't know if MB have released the range estimates for this refresh but we should be well beyond range anxiety by now given the relatively low daily mileage of the average American. Anything over 250 mile range and the average driver is lasting a week plus on a singe charge. If it turns out you don't fit that profile and/or you can't change at home then sure this (or any EV) might not be for you. But for the average driver, there is literally nothing on the market that won't see them through a working week with little to no range anxiety.
Well they increased battery capacity by 10%, so range goes up by 10%. It has one of the largest ranges on the market.

It just never looked good and it was also cheap inside... probably target market is old and is afraid of driving EVs too.
Old 04-12-24, 06:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
that was the main focus, quality and also comfort of interior, especially back seat.
We'll see. The fact that the manufaktur interior, which is super high end still has a plastic airbag cover while an S Class with the base leather has a leather cover doesn't fill me with confidence.
Old 04-12-24, 08:42 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Yeah I don’t wanna be banging my knees on hard plastic in a $130,000 car. Lol

I went to the car show and I was horrified by how many luxury cars have hard plastic B pillars, my 3GS it’s nice and soft. And when you scoot the seat back it’s very noticeable.
Old 04-12-24, 09:31 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

. I was offered a $130,000 EQS 580 for $750 a month. $130,000 S580 is $2,000 a month.
Well damn, my Dad's been looking at Lucid and the lease deals are not too bad. He just loves the car and design. He is one of the few that likes the Mercedes EV's too. Don't think he was aware of this. I will let him know though!

Edit: just toured through lease hacker website briefly and jeez!!! The deals on them are wild.

Last edited by GFerg; 04-12-24 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-12-24, 10:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Deals are wild!

The Lucid is a more attractive car IMO, but the EQS rides better and is more traditionally luxurious and the tech is much better. If he like the looks the EQS is a great choice, just lease it!
The following users liked this post:
GFerg (04-12-24)
Old 04-12-24, 12:24 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I still dislike the shape and wouldn’t buy this car, but it is amazing to me how much the traditional grille and the hood ornament improve its appeal. I’m excited to see the 2026 refresh..

Hopefully there will also be interior quality improvements, although still on that black one with the Manufaktur interior it still doesn’t have a leather wrapped airbag cover so I’m dubious…

The shape changes are coming in 2026, this is just an emergency tweak.
I read the C&D article a few days and ago and checked with my contacts. Your timeline isn't matching up. 2024 announcement is for the battery update and grille, 2025 is when the proper facelift with 800v architecture and new motors made by MB will be installed. The shape is going to remain the same until its model run ends in 2028. This was always the plan and they haven't deviated - this grille and battery intervention were the only things not on the original schedule.

If you disagree, I'd love to see where in the C&D article you pulled that info because the only 2026 mentions in there are about the first of two S-class facelifts and the debut of the MB.EA platform on a different model line.
Old 04-12-24, 01:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Here is the article:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...ss-eqs-future/

Yes the full redesign comes for 2028 which will be an all new body:

Originally, Mercedes had intended to replace the EQS and the S-class in 2028 with a joint all-new, fully electric model. But the market seems to have other ideas. The EQS still needs to retire in four years and will be replaced by a completely new design that revives the traditional three-box sedan proportions.

Dubbed V580, the next EQS is based on MB.EA-L, the largest format of the brand's new electric architecture, which will make its debut in the 2026 GLC. All MB.EA products will feature a new grille inspired by the more upright proportions that were an untouchable Mercedes trademark for decades. The three-pointed star is also looming larger than ever, be it on the hood, in the grille, or as a stylized multi-mode front and rear light element. A source who must remain anonymous commented to
Car and Driver: "Let's be honest, the EQS has always been perceived by our customers more like a stretched E-class than a proper S-class. The followup model needs to under promise and over deliver, or even newcomers like Lucid and Yangwang will eat us for breakfast. And it will."

I also bolded the bit about the stretched E Class to show that isn't just my assessment.

The refresh that is coming for 2026 won't change the overall shape, but there will supposedly be tweaks to the front and rear ends to make it more upright and traditional looking. If you watch the reviews from the press unveiling of this 2025 they discuss that so presumably it was part of the press package.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-12-24 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-12-24, 07:26 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Interestingly, Mercedes ran several commercials for their EVs during today telecast of the The Masters, one of which was for a Maybach version. None mentioned any lease numbers though.

Quick Reply: 2025 EQS Refresh