EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

CNBC: BYD Rising

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-24, 02:28 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 68 Posts
Default CNBC: BYD Rising

Interesting vid from CNBC about BYD. I have to admit, their cars look good, and they sell tons of plugin hybrids. Not sure about reliability though. I'll stick with Toyota for now, even if they manage to get into USA.

Old 03-26-24, 05:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

i watched this video before seeing it here... but thanks for posting.

anyone who thinks tesla or any automaker is completely invincible needs to watch.

it was notable that tesla buys batteries from byd.

i'm shocked at the sheer number of different models that byd has launched.
Old 03-26-24, 07:47 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i watched this video before seeing it here... but thanks for posting.

anyone who thinks tesla or any automaker is completely invincible needs to watch.

it was notable that tesla buys batteries from byd.

i'm shocked at the sheer number of different models that byd has launched.
When the Chinese enter the US market, they are going to dominate it, that's my feeling. One of my friends was in Mumbai for business and there are BYD's (fully electric) everywhere in India, most of the Ubers he road in were BYD. He told me the quality is excellent, and extremely smooth and comfortable, even with the horrible roads in India. Showed me a bunch of pics, they look really nice. The Chinese automakers have learned how to build cars, and both Tesla and Toyota are going to get a run for their money once they are here in NA
Old 03-26-24, 10:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla must innovate to continue to be successful. manufacturing skills are part of it, but if they can get fsd to be trusted for example, their valuation and success will be assured for a good while.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (03-26-24)
Old 03-26-24, 10:17 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 538 Likes on 332 Posts

It's going to be a while before BYD can be sold here if for no other reason than the small matter of the close to 30% tariff on Chinese made vehicles (2.5% general tariff on imported vehicles plus an additional 25% tariff specific to cars made in China). Just like Tesla manufactures in China, BYD will need to manufacture here before any there's any meaningful prospect of volume sales in the US. The upcoming Model 2 and current 3/Y seem to me to be more than capable of ensuring Tesla's continued sales success in the US, regardless of BYD's possible future entry.
Allen K (03-26-24)
Old 03-26-24, 10:18 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 628 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
It's going to be a while before BYD can be sold here if for no other reason than the small matter of the close to 30% tariff on Chinese made vehicles (2.5% general tariff on imported vehicles plus an additional 25% tariff specific to cars made in China). Just like Tesla manufactures in China, BYD will need to manufacture here before any there's any meaningful prospect of volume sales in the US.
I could see some targeted tariffs if they try to manufacture in Mexico too
swajames (03-26-24)
Old 03-26-24, 10:19 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

It's going to be a while before BYD can be sold here if for no other reason than the small matter of the close to 30% tariff on Chinese made vehicles (2.5% general tariff on imported vehicles plus an additional 25% tariff specific to cars made in China). Just like Tesla manufactures in China, BYD will need to manufacture here before any there's any meaningful prospect of volume sales in the US. The upcoming Model 2 and current 3/Y seem to me to be more than capable of ensuring Tesla's continued sales success in the US, regardless of BYD's possible future entry.
I understand they may be close to building a factory in Mexico
Old 03-26-24, 10:45 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 631 Likes on 474 Posts

I thought the plan was to build in Mexico to allow for sales in the US. That seems to not be true. At least that's what they're claiming.
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/business...ure-in-mexico/
Old 03-26-24, 10:47 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I could see some targeted tariffs if they try to manufacture in Mexico too
How would the US explain that?

Would the Chinese government retaliate by imposing tariffs on tesla cars then? Tesla gets more than 20% of its sales revenue from China.
Old 03-26-24, 11:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

byd is already building commercial ev's in california.
Old 03-26-24, 11:20 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by asj2024
How would the US explain that?

Would the Chinese government retaliate by imposing tariffs on tesla cars then? Tesla gets more than 20% of its sales revenue from China.
Targeted tariffs are nothing new. They could require x amount of raw materials for the vehicles come from Y countries and work with other countries to ensure their products won't get hit.

Tesla is already producing in China. Can't tariff domestically produced products.
swajames (03-26-24)
Old 03-26-24, 11:23 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 538 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
byd is already building commercial ev's in california.
Not the passenger cars we’re talking about, and not at scale.

But it does prove the point that they will have to build here to sell here (USMCA) and follow sourcing rules on parts etc.
Old 03-27-24, 10:21 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

In San Francisco, I noticed our city's public buses just got replaced with ones made by BYD...they are electric (like the previous ones, non BYD) but I find it interesting they won the contract, especially with all the Anti-China trade agreements between the two countries
Old 03-28-24, 07:06 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Probably the local production that bit mentioned above. There's no question that BYD is making compelling products, how they get consumer products in the US market at scale will be the challenge
Old 03-28-24, 07:12 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
Probably the local production that bit mentioned above. There's no question that BYD is making compelling products, how they get consumer products in the US market at scale will be the challenge
Bribes

Quick Reply: CNBC: BYD Rising