EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Shell to unload 1,000 retail locations in pivot to EV charging

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-24, 08:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,483 Posts
Default Shell to unload 1,000 retail locations in pivot to EV charging

Shell to unload 1,000 retail locations in pivot to EV charging

As part of its energy transition strategy, energy giant Shell (SHEL) plans to shed some of its retail gasoline stations to focus more on EV charging sites.

“We are upgrading our retail network, with expanded electric vehicle charging and convenience offers, in response to changing customer needs,” Shell said in its 2024 Energy Transition Strategy report. The company plans to “divest around 500 Shell-owned sites (including joint ventures) a year in 2024 and 2025." The company's plans were first reported by Bloomberg News.

The closures will shrink the company's retail footprint by 2.1%. In 2023, the company operated 47,000 locations.
Shell said it will need to find additional locations or expand the size of current Shell locations in order to boost its charging business. The company said it would spend more on public charging, as opposed to home charging initiatives that are more popular in regions like North America, because Shell believes public charging will be “needed most by our customers.”

Shell said it will be focusing its efforts more in China and Europe, where the EV market is more developed and demand is high for public EV charging stations. Shell says it aims to increase the number of charge points it has from the 54,000 it operates today to 200,000 by 2030.

Currently, Shell's EV chargers are located at Shell filling stations, on-street locations, and at “mobility hubs” as well as other sites, including supermarkets. In the US, the company said its Volta charging acquisition completed in 2023 gave it one of the largest charging networks in the country.

According to Shell’s Recharge EV charging map, the company operates just over 3,700 charging stations in the US with multiple charging plugs at each location. By comparison, Tesla offers around 6,000 charging stations with over 15,000 DC fast-charging plugs and several thousand more Level 2 chargers.

Currently, Shell's EV chargers are located at Shell filling stations, on-street locations, and at “mobility hubs” as well as other sites, including supermarkets. In the US, the company said its Volta charging acquisition completed in 2023 gave it one of the largest charging networks in the country.

According to Shell’s Recharge EV charging map, the company operates just over 3,700 charging stations in the US with multiple charging plugs at each location. By comparison, Tesla offers around 6,000 charging stations with over 15,000 DC fast-charging plugs and several thousand more Level 2 chargers.

Nathan Niese, associate director of electrification and climate change for Boston Consulting Group, believes retail operators like Shell may have the right strategy for charging.

"If you have the right street corners with the right amount of traffic and the right footprint, if you can turn over some of those existing stations that already have a convenience store, that already have a car wash," Niese said to the Automotive News. "That's a really good cocktail for business success."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/shell...l?guccounter=1
Old 03-19-24, 08:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

there's barely any shell stations where i live - most have transitioned to large 'other' brands that are a lot more about the convenience store and large gas station experience.
circle-k, racetrak, wawa, and coming soon near me, buc-ee's, haha
i think these places don't care about making much on gas, it's just a way to get customers, and oil companies like shell aren't really interested in that.

i do think ALL or most gas stations will have at least 1 fast ev charger at some point, which will help accelerate the transition even more.
Old 03-19-24, 08:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,611 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
there's barely any shell stations where i live - most have transitioned to large 'other' brands that are a lot more about the convenience store and large gas station experience.
i think these places don't care about making much on gas, it's just a way to get customers, and oil companies like shell aren't really interested in that.

i do think ALL or most gas stations will have at least 1 fast ev charger at some point, which will help accelerate the transition even more.
Gas station operators don't make money on gas, they make it on the store, repair work in a shop, a carwash etc. EV charging is a great way to add revenue to a gas station.

The fuel delivery merchant is who makes money on the fuel.

This is one of the big growth areas, gas stations offering fast charging as well, its a BOON to the operator because the customer needs something to do for 20 minutes...which is shop and eat. Would much rather have a captive customer for 25 minutes you can sell a ton of stuff to than a customer for 5 minutes you make .12 cents off of who might buy a soda.
Old 03-19-24, 08:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

We have a family friend who owns a gas station, and he makes money on the convince store. He breaks about even selling gasoline, at least that's what he's told us
Old 03-19-24, 08:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
We have a family friend who owns a gas station, and he makes money on the convince store. He breaks about even selling gasoline, at least that's what he's told us
maybe ask him if is considering putting in a charger or 4/8...
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (03-19-24)
Old 03-19-24, 08:40 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 892 Likes on 714 Posts

We have a lot of small gas stations down here.

It would kill them to pull the pumps and put in chargers.

I think they pretty much count on people coming in and out fast.

If everyone spent 20 mins in a spot, there would be nowhere to park very fast.
Old 03-19-24, 08:49 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330

​​​​​​ Around the Tesla chargers heading to SoCal, people head to the restaurants and convince stores. There's one supercharger stop where Tesla has a coffee shop, it's always full
Old 03-20-24, 05:28 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 324 Posts

Gas stations, as we know them today, are a lousy place for Superchargers. It makes zero sense.
Old 03-20-24, 06:20 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 632 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Gas stations, as we know them today, are a lousy place for Superchargers. It makes zero sense.
Not all are created equal. We have some very nice ones in our area, but there are also a few I would never stop at. The new ones being built seem to all be looking towards the future and either have areas already dedicated for chargers, once installed, or already have a couple setup.
Old 03-20-24, 06:27 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

When we were in your area last year, the Wawa had a couple chargers in the back of the lot. I didn't look too closely at them, because we didn't have an EV yet. I'm sure the Ocala area will be adding tons of chargers over the next couple years. As I'm sure you're aware, it's becoming a popular place for retirees. We did see quite a few BEV's when we were checking the places out.
Old 03-20-24, 07:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
When we were in your area last year, the Wawa had a couple chargers in the back of the lot. I didn't look too closely at them, because we didn't have an EV yet. I'm sure the Ocala area will be adding tons of chargers over the next couple years. As I'm sure you're aware, it's becoming a popular place for retirees. We did see quite a few BEV's when we were checking the places out.
didn't know that a wawa has chargers, nice. wawa has stormed into this area in past 5 years. and yes, ocala is absolutely booming, not just for boomers retirees but because of the billion $ equestrian center and other things going on. yeah i'm proud of what little 'slowcala' is becoming...

Old 03-20-24, 07:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

small gas stations sure, but there's loads of giant ones which would work well.
Old 03-20-24, 07:29 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

didn't know that a wawa has chargers, nice. wawa has stormed into this area in past 5 years. and yes, ocala is absolutely booming, not just for boomers retirees but because of the billion $ equestrian center and other things going on. yeah i'm proud of what little 'slowcala' is becoming...

https://youtu.be/NeYc_Dh65Bw?si=VSzIoTTTQDRxmahC
OT: We went to the Equestrian Center when we visited. That place is amazing! My wife has a sister who has a house on a few acres right down the street from it. A couple of their neighbors have horses and they go to quite a few of the events.
Old 03-20-24, 07:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,611 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

They need to innovate and offer things for people to do for the time they charge. Convenience stores, food people can sit down and eat, etc.

Depends on the gas station. If we're talking about a Wawa, Sheetz, Buc Ee's, Royal Farms thats totally not true. If its just a small community gas station with a small store then I would agree.
Old 03-20-24, 07:34 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

small gas stations sure, but there's loads of giant ones which would work well.
In Cali, you will never find gas stations like Wawa here. The biggest gas stations are Costco's, but I could see that changing if chargers were being installed. Speaking of Costco, I'm surprised not one here has charging stations. Most of the Safeway's, movie theaters etc have chargers. Possibly because there is already way too much traffic coming through Costco

Quick Reply: Shell to unload 1,000 retail locations in pivot to EV charging