EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Shell to unload 1,000 retail locations in pivot to EV charging

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-24, 08:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I typically also just get gas and go, I think most people do. Sometimes if I'm thirsty I will go in and get a drink or a snack.

They wouldn't be building all of these Sheets and Buc'ees and Wawas and Royal Farms everywhere if everybody always just got gas and went lol. EV chargers are a great option in those places and a lot of them already have them. I can stop for 25 minutes to charge and have lunch and all, thats great. Way better than stopping in a Walmart parking lot to charge
exactly. I have like 200 mile trip that i repeat 15 times a year, and I always stop to eat where they have chargers because.... i will have to eat when i get there anyway, and why not add some charge too?
Or I can not do that and blaze through to final destination and have 5%-30% (depending on car) and then have to find a spot for quick meal, just without charging.
Old 03-23-24, 09:40 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes, I represent three gas station owners. I already said that.

They typically do not own the land, it’s usually on a ground lease. The fuel distributors usually do the build out and then the operator pays them back out of their profits. It’s financed by the fuel distributor, they normally don’t need to secure any outside financing. Owning the land under gas stations is a good gig.

The operator then makes their profit off of what’s left over after the franchise costs and the wholesale cost of the fuel, profit per gallon in about .08-12 cents per gallon. The revenue mainly comes from the ancillary services, and operators actually sometimes rent those out. For instance the car wash at a station might be rented by a second person and the equipment inside it belongs to them, same with a repair shop.
I think me and you are discussing 2 different things.

When i think of gas station business - I’m referring to a company that owns and operates multiple locations usually more than 10. They typically have long term land lease but often own the RE and the pumps. These are the ones I have come accross and know. They sell under Shell, BP, Gulf etc.

Are there individual operators which dont own anything? Sure
Its not surprising they dont make much profit since they didn’t
make any capital investment into the business.
Old 03-23-24, 10:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Isn't Mother Nature already helping with that?
ha, as you probably know, hurricane damage is almost entirely in coastal areas and typically that's mostly south florida (both sides), the gulf coast, NE florida (jacksonville area). the rest of the state (vast) is largely unaffected except maybe tree damage and some flooding now and then. buildings are also built (by code) to withstand 135+mph winds so that helps, unless you're in a mobile home.

when i was deciding to move to florida, i'd already picked out ocala (nw central florida, nw of orlando) because it was rarely impacted by storms. i've been here 19 years now. the worst year was when my home was being built before i moved (2004) and that took down a few trees on my property, but other than that it was fine. but yes, sanibel island for example (sw florida) had enormous damage recently. lovely place but i wouldn't live there. i also watch with amazement at the growth in miami. it's only a matter of time.

I would pay 5 times what something costs just not to have to go to Walmart, and I refuse to go to Walmart lol
now that's funny. i wouldn't go into walmart just for a beverage, but shopping? sure. it's significantly cheaper than other stores for the same thing. don't go often, but when i have a bunch to get it's a good option. their online store/app is now excellent too. the stores vary widely too. some are nice and spotless, others rather dingy.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I’m a pay at the pump and gone guy.
Originally Posted by link13
I am also a pay at the pump and go guy.
I typically also just get gas and go.
i'm a "don't have to get gas ever" guy*.
*well my lexus needs it but that's a weekend car, so gas is about every 3-4 months

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
When i think of gas station business - I’m referring to a company that owns and operates multiple locations usually more than 10. They typically have long term land lease but often own the RE and the pumps. These are the ones I have come accross and know. They sell under Shell, BP, Gulf etc.
gas stations do make money from gas, but it's low margin but businesses like you mention do huge volume and typically have great locations. the stores however are huge margin and obviously tons of people go in to get a drink or a snack or one of those week old slowly spinning hotdogs all with giant margins. plus lottery tickets, cigarettes, alcohol are also great money makers. and of course car washes, the gouging atm machine, etc.
Old 03-23-24, 01:10 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,482 Posts

A lot gas stations around my work also have chains like Subway running out of them. I go occasionally to a Chevron near my work to pick up a Subway sandwich. They also have a hand carwash, a bit on the pricey side
Old 03-23-24, 01:31 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 891 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
... and obviously tons of people go in to get a drink or a snack or one of those week old slowly spinning hotdogs all with giant margins. plus lottery tickets, cigarettes, alcohol are also great money makers. and of course car washes, the gouging atm machine, etc.
A small two pump station with convenience store near me said that they pay their rent every month with fountain drinks.
​​​​
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
A lot gas stations around my work also have chains like Subway running out of them. I go occasionally to a Chevron near my work to pick up a Subway sandwich. They also have a hand carwash, a bit on the pricey side
I guess we never really appreciate things until they are gone.

I'm sad but RIP for $5 foot long. Haha
​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (03-23-24)
Old 03-23-24, 01:35 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
A small two pump station with convenience store near me said that they pay their rent every month with fountain drinks.
​​​​

​​​​​​
Nope. I remember those . My last sandwich there was a 6" Egg and cheese for $8 and some change. That's without chips and a drink. There are two nice ladies that work there, sometimes they will throw in avocado for free 😂
Old 03-23-24, 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,877 Posts

I think me and you are discussing 2 different things.

Most of them operate more than 1 yes. We’re not talking about different things. There are conglomerate operators who operate multiple businesses, but the vast majority of gas stations operators run their businesses exactly like I have described. It’s a franchise model, the distributor whose franchise they have chosen does the capital improvements and sometimes owns the land and sometimes they don’t. The distributor is not “Shell” or “Exxon” it’s an intermediary and then they pay the franchise cost to the brand.

The operator owns the pumps and equipment, they are just financed by the distributor.

now that's funny. i wouldn't go into walmart just for a beverage, but shopping? sure. it's significantly cheaper than other stores for the same thing. don't go often, but when i have a bunch to get it's a good option. their online store/app is now excellent too. the stores vary widely too. some are nice and spotless, others rather dingy.
I refuse to shop at Walmart. They are a terrible employer, abusive to their employees and they run small businesses out of town. Plus they’re just ugly and classless, I’d rather pay more to shop somewhere else.

gas stations do make money from gas, but it's low margin but businesses like you mention do huge volume and typically have great locations. the stores however are huge margin and obviously tons of people go in to get a drink or a snack or one of those week old slowly spinning hotdogs all with giant margins. plus lottery tickets, cigarettes, alcohol are also great money makers. and of course car washes, the gouging atm machine, etc.
Of course they make money from gas, the gas just keeps them alive, the profit for the owner/operator is in the other things that the station does to earn revenue.
Old 03-23-24, 01:47 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 118 Posts

i'm a "don't have to get gas ever" guy*.
*well my lexus needs it but that's a weekend car, so gas is about every 3-4 months

As of today, LC might be my next car. Is it fun to drive? I’ve yet to test drive one.

Originally Posted by Margate330
​​​​

​​​​​​
Until recently Subway had BOGO free foot long. $10 for two foot longs. Now I think the special is BOGO half off.
Old 03-23-24, 07:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
As of today, LC might be my next car. Is it fun to drive? I’ve yet to test drive one.
is the pope catholic?

it's great fun to drive, quick, slow, cruising, etc. i have the dynamic handling package which gives it amazing steering.

funny though, the drivetrain feels ancient compared to my ev. it's not slow though, and sounds amazing.

anyway, i'd say we're way off topic on this thread.
BayeauxLex (03-24-24)
Old 03-24-24, 12:39 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

I've noticed the 7/11's here seem to be slowly removing their gas pumps and just transitioning to convenience stores only. If I had to guess, the transition happens on a by-location basis when it comes time that the tanks would need significant repairs or replacement. At that point, they just tear it out because it's not worth the investment to keep going.

Maybe they'll put charging stations in where the pumps were, right now i just see big empty pavement, not even painted with parking stalls. We're going to need a lot of pull-through charging infrastructure for trucks that are towing. That said, I'd hate to use a convenience store sized corner lot for charging given the slower charge times. Gonna be a lot of impatient people depending on the growth of charging locations vs growth of EV sales. Though I guess that will be offset somewhat by people charging at home/work.
Old 03-25-24, 07:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

This morning passed several gas stations heading to work...average is around $4.79 for Unleaded. That's the cash price . And it's not even summer yet. Good God. I don't think gas prices are going down here in Cali anytime soon
Old 03-25-24, 11:58 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

This morning passed several gas stations heading to work...average is around $4.79 for Unleaded. That's the cash price . And it's not even summer yet. Good God. I don't think gas prices are going down here in Cali anytime soon
California is my consolation prize for Nevada having the second highest gas prices.
AMIRZA786 (03-25-24)
Old 03-25-24, 12:05 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
California is my consolation prize for Nevada having the second highest gas prices.
Lol no consolation prize here for being first! I was in Carson City, NV last summer, and gas was a lot cheaper than California. The cheapest gas I've seen so far is one of my cousins who lives in Houston shared his receipt in a Whatsapp group chat....$2.30...for Premium 😕. I think he was trying to make us feel bad. Mission accomplished
Old 03-25-24, 12:55 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Lol no consolation prize here for being first! I was in Carson City, NV last summer, and gas was a lot cheaper than California. The cheapest gas I've seen so far is one of my cousins who lives in Houston shared his receipt in a Whatsapp group chat....$2.30...for Premium 😕. I think he was trying to make us feel bad. Mission accomplished
Here's a pic from 2022 when gas prices were at their peak because of the war in Ukraine. Regular unleaded and my tank is 36 gallons.....

AMIRZA786 (03-25-24)
Old 03-25-24, 01:00 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Here's a pic from 2022 when gas prices were at their peak because of the war in Ukraine. Regular unleaded and my tank is 36 gallons.....

Quick Reply: Shell to unload 1,000 retail locations in pivot to EV charging