EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Onward

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-24, 09:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Norway has amazing weather IMO never gets super hot or cold not for everyone but for me that is ideal. I bet vehicles last a very long time because of this.
don't take my word for it... this from 'visitnorway' website:

In winter, the average temperature in Norway is -6.8 degrees Celsius, but the local conditions may vary quite a lot. Around Oslo, snowfall is common and the average winter temperatures are just below zero.The lower inland areas of Finnmark, Troms, Trøndelag, and Eastern Norway often have very cold winters with lots of snow.

The inland areas of Northern Norway have an Arctic climate with snow and cold temperatures. However, the climate is usually much milder in coastal areas, thanks to the Gulf Stream. Strong winds occur frequently.

The coastal areas of Fjord Norway and Southern Norway also enjoy a milder climate, with temperatures around 0 degrees Celsius at sea level. However, much of the region is snowy and cold, which makes for good skiing conditions, especially in the mountains.
Old 03-12-24, 09:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

and there's this...

Old 03-12-24, 09:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,743 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Oslo had a decent number of subzero days in Jan this year
True but it was twice as cold here we had a few days of -50F. Cold snap hovered over much of the northern climes.
Old 03-13-24, 05:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
True but it was twice as cold here we had a few days of -50F. Cold snap hovered over much of the northern climes.
yup... i've never forgotten being in edmonton in winter once (-50f like you said ). even in toronto where i lived it was f-f-f-f-freezing in winter. global warming seems to have improved things though.

but you have a Y there in alberta... what's been the worst experience of having it in winter?
Old 03-13-24, 05:54 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 628 Likes on 435 Posts

The point is, in Norway it can get blisteringly cold and their chargers work while it gets close to 0F in the states and EA chargers begin struggling despite them rolling out a new gen of hardware. Tesla has less issues and the Chicago issues earlier in the year seemed more like user error than actual hardware failures.
The following 3 users liked this post by Allen K:
AMIRZA786 (03-13-24), LeX2K (03-13-24), Mike728 (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24, 10:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

obviously being in florida i don't care but i'm sure it will all get fixed and reliable soon and competition will help.
Old 03-13-24, 12:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,743 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yup... i've never forgotten being in edmonton in winter once (-50f like you said ). even in toronto where i lived it was f-f-f-f-freezing in winter. global warming seems to have improved things though.
That has to be complete shock to the system. Toronto is actually worse it gets cold and humidity can be near 100%.
but you have a Y there in alberta... what's been the worst experience of having it in winter?
Y is better than my gas cars in super cold conditions. Sure the range takes a bigger hit than petrol but in every other way it is way better. I Pre-heat the cabin and never have to worry about the battery freezing I just get in and drive. Plus the Y is outstanding in slippery conditions the weight distribution, weight in general and traction control make it unstoppable. Y is so much better than my AWD Highlander it's not funny.
Originally Posted by Allen K
The point is, in Norway it can get blisteringly cold and their chargers work while it gets close to 0F in the states and EA chargers begin struggling despite them rolling out a new gen of hardware. Tesla has less issues and the Chicago issues earlier in the year seemed more like user error than actual hardware failures.
That was because a sub station went down I think.

I hope other regions/countries study Norway and learn from it you're right if they can go all EV it can be done anywhere. One striking thing is because almost every car is electric the cities are much quieter.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (03-13-24)
Old 03-20-24, 12:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

in the 'features i've not tried yet' i now have 1 less

the car has HDA or highway driving assist on major highways like interstates. that means you can take your hands off the wheel for longer (it does an excellent job of staying in lane, slowing, speeding up etc., which i was already very familiar with) and it's also supposed to be able to change lanes itself which i had not tried. every time i went to change lanes with hda on i'd see a message saying "conditions not met for lane change" or something so i wanted to figure out what magic spell i had to invoke to get it to do it.

without reading the manual i figured it out, although maybe there's a better way in the manual!

so driving along in adaptive cruise / hda, if i tap the turn signal (which normally is a 3 blink signal) and actively TURN into the next lane, it won't do it automatically. however, if i tap the turn signal and just gently nudge the steering wheel in that direction, a second or two later it WILL keep the signal going, and steer the car into the next lane, with some visual indicators on the gauge showing you it's doing it. in HDA/adaptive cruise the car also shows a very tesla like display showing imagery for the car, the lanes, and all vehicles around you, very accurately.

i now want to try out the self parking (parallel and regular parking lot spot). will report back.
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (03-20-24), bowser (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 02:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Its a great feature, my Mercedes has it.
The following users liked this post:
bitkahuna (03-20-24)
Old 03-28-24, 10:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

quick update... had the car a little over 5 months now and about 5800 mi. on it. it's my work car. i had a santa fe suv before, which obviously was taller with more room, and i sometimes miss that, but i like having the more nimble vehicle. maybe it's not much shorter i don't know, but it seems easier to park and with all that power it's a blast to drive. i have to say though the '21 santa fe awd calligraphy i had was exceptional. the 2.5 turbo engine was plenty fast, and it had the fastest 'starter' i've every experienced with almost no vibration so the auto start/stop was fine unless it was baking hot out and the a/c wasn't quite as powerful with the engine off. anyway, back to the ioniq 5.

recently i've been trying it in the eco mode most of the time vs. normal, to see if i actually get better efficiency, and it seems i do. my avg for the life of the car right now is 3.2mi./kwh which isn't bad given that my drive almost anywhere is first 8 mi. of 70+mph on a highway. the efficiency definitely goes up in stop and go traffic. before i got an ev i imagined it might use quite a lot of power when just stationary, but in my experience, i can't detect it using ANY (even with lights, audio, and ac on) but i know it is.

it's very comfortable. very quiet. tech works great. adding the eleacc wireless carplay adapter made that lacking feature (car only supports wired carplay) go away and it works great too.

the plasticky floor mats aren't great... the mat has curled up some in sill area on the driver's side. i might replace at some point.

one thing i'm not a fan of is the matte silver color. the car has all kinds of info/warnings/guidance on cleaning it and even came with buckets and loads of mr beasley ? cleaning supplies. i'm just not a detailer so i do the best i can... pressure wash, foam canon, let it sit, clean with suds, pressure wash, dry, good enough.
The following 3 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (03-28-24), LeX2K (03-28-24), Mike728 (03-28-24)