EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-23, 08:36 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,541 Posts

[QUOTE=bitkahuna;11600053]
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Went back to driving my Y today, and the Model Y and Ioniq 5 couldn't be more different cars. And not in a bad way.[ay./quote]

enjoyed your post!

since i tend to have quite a bit of work gear in my ioniq, i am unlikely to be throwing it into curves anyway (to avoid stuff flying everywhere).

if i want handling, i'll go for the LC500 like i did today.

you know you can turn whatever you want off right?

haha, didn't know that spot was very deep or that there were usb-c ports in it! i use the usb-a right above it for plugging in the iphone to do carplay. i'm definitely going to check out the usb-c's though!

i was lucky that although the dealer originally wanted an unreasonable price with much b.s. involved, i quickly negotiated it down to what i felt was reasonable, got the deal done in about 3 hours, came back after they'd prepped it, and drove off!
For sure you can turn off the nannies, but I leave them on for my wife . They are really not that bad in the scheme of things

The LC is definitely going to be funner in the curves, no argument there

Although you got the price you wanted, the fact that you had to negotiate it down is sad. It means the dealership has padding it adds it can play with. Buying directly, that extra padding you had to waste 3 hours negotiating on won't exist. Hyundai gives you a price, you either take it or leave it. Buying a car direct is the easiest way to buy a car (I've done it twice), and literally takes minutes. And you can do everything from your home or the office, on your laptop or smartphone. My next car will most likely be another Tesla, or if Polestar has a good leasing deal when my Polestar lease is up, I'll lease another Polestar
Old 10-22-23, 08:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Although you got the price you wanted, the fact that you had to negotiate it down is sad. It means the dealership has padding it adds it can play with. Buying directly, that extra padding you had to waste 3 hours negotiating on won't exist. Hyundai gives you a price, you either take it or leave it. Buying a car direct is the easiest way to buy a car (I've done it twice), and literally takes minutes. And you can do everything from your home or the office, on your laptop or smartphone. My next car will most likely be another Tesla, or if Polestar has a good leasing deal when my Polestar lease is up, I'll lease another Polestar
sure i get all that. i didn't want a 3/y knowing the highland improvements were coming for one thing and the x is more than i wanted to spend.

about the rotator cuff injuring deep storage space... i just went to look at it and it's maybe 7" deep? and there's no usb-c in there (or anywhere else), just the usb-a and 12v socket above it, and 4 more usb-a in front and back.
Old 10-22-23, 08:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sure i get all that. i didn't want a 3/y knowing the highland improvements were coming for one thing and the x is more than i wanted to spend.

about the rotator cuff injuring deep storage space... i just went to look at it and it's maybe 7" deep? and there's no usb-c in there (or anywhere else), just the usb-a and 12v socket above it, and 4 more usb-a in front and back.
What I meant was reaching it from the sitting position, not how deep it is. Not going to happen easily. I'll look at it again, I was writing that based on memory, which as you know, can be faulty
Old 10-23-23, 07:39 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 884 Likes on 508 Posts

Went back to driving my Y today, and the Model Y and Ioniq 5 couldn't be more different cars. And not in a bad way. The Ioniq 5 like the Y is cutting edge tech, just implemented differently. Someone like my wife who is not very tech savvy can just get in it and with a very little direction just drive it. The Model Y is not complicated to drive at all, but someone coming from a traditional car can easily get confused with just seeing a screen in the middle of the dash. The two cars also drive completely different, with the Ioniq 5 geared more towards comfort and road isolation, while the Y is more performance oriented. Being a bit lower to the ground than the Y, it's a little quieter on the hwy, but it doesn't feel as quick. At 320 hp and 446 ft-lbs of torque, it's quick enough!

In the handling area, I feel the Model Y does a better job. It feels extremely competent throwing it into a curve or corner, even though it's a big heavy SUV. The Ioniq 5's nannies are a bit too intrusive, for my liking, but they probably save a lot of lives!

In the seating category, both are comfortable, with the Ioniq having a bit more comfortable seats, and better bolstered front seats. Also the Ioniq has cooled seats, although I never use this feature, and with pre-cooling, I never will, so don't really care about that. The back seats in both vehicles are very comfortable, but the Y wins when it comes to roominess, storage space, and overall trunk space. The Ioniq has this weird storage area in the middle of the front area that's just bizarre. It's way too deep to be useful, as you would end up tearing your rotator cuff trying to reach in there. There are two usb-c ports down there, and again, trying to reach them is a big task, something you just set and forget

Overall, I'm happy with both cars, as each has its own unique strengths. And my wife loves the car, which is all that really counts. I think Hyundai would really give Tesla the run for its money if it wasn't hindered by s h i t t y dealership networks. Give me the option to buy one directly from Hyundai, I would have no issues replacing this in two years with another Hyundai
Great post, this was a really great read. We just so happened to switch cars for the day yesterday so I got to spend some time with Model Y too. It was a lot of fun. It's a really cool car, definitely sportier than not. I even washed it
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (10-23-23)
Old 10-23-23, 07:42 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 884 Likes on 508 Posts

This is who tested the EQS SUV last week and got a braking run of 60-0 in 111 feet. They just tested the EQE SUV and got 120 feet.

AMIRZA786 (10-23-23)
Old 10-23-23, 08:34 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't see much different from buying direct vs. dealerships. Buying direct means you pay a set price. You could do that with dealers too. Just pay the price they ask you to pay. () People don't and feel they over pay for whatever reason. That's when they bargain/deal. Also with some dealerships, you can deal in your trade in. I heard Tesla gives jack about trade in which makes sense, why would they want to buy used ICE cars?
Old 10-23-23, 08:57 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I don't see much different from buying direct vs. dealerships. Buying direct means you pay a set price. You could do that with dealers too. Just pay the price they ask you to pay. () People don't and feel they over pay for whatever reason. That's when they bargain/deal. Also with some dealerships, you can deal in your trade in. I heard Tesla gives jack about trade in which makes sense, why would they want to buy used ICE cars?
What the dealership is selling it to you is what they padded on top of it. I guarantee that if I bought directly from Hyundai, I would easily save $5K to $8K, and I would save hours of time that I didn't have to negotiate and listen to their BS. Every dealership just makes it up as they go along. An example, another dealership my friend went to was asking for $5k down and $550 a month on a lease for the exact same car as mine. Bit told me a few months back that his dealership was asking $800 a month LoL! You can't make this s h i t up. Well apparently they do.

You know what? I would actually pay more to bypass a dealership and buy direct and not listen to their BS sales pitches and waste hours of my precious time. I want to be able to sit on my couch, order my car, do the financing and have it delivered directly to me. I've already bought two cars using that method, and that's going to be the way I buy (or lease) my next car

Alright, angry rant over
Mike728 (10-23-23)
Old 10-23-23, 09:07 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 635 Likes on 477 Posts

I don't see much different from buying direct vs. dealerships. Buying direct means you pay a set price. You could do that with dealers too. Just pay the price they ask you to pay....
If it only worked that way. I've posted this before, but we had an agreed upon price for an Ionic5 Limited, via email. When we got there, we were told the quote was inaccurate and then told it was a few $k more. We only wasted a small amount of time "negotiating" with them before realizing it was going nowhere and left. I then went on Tesla's site and ordered the Model Y like I was buying off Amazon. The only hiccup was with the trade process. Tesla's original quote range was $2k above their final offer. We had to scramble and sold it via KBB at a local Audi dealer for $2,500 more than the final Tesla offer. That process went fairly smooth.
AMIRZA786 (10-23-23)
Old 10-23-23, 09:21 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 469 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
If it only worked that way. I've posted this before, but we had an agreed upon price for an Ionic5 Limited, via email. When we got there, we were told the quote was inaccurate and then told it was a few $k more. We only wasted a small amount of time "negotiating" with them before realizing it was going nowhere and left. I then went on Tesla's site and ordered the Model Y like I was buying off Amazon. The only hiccup was with the trade process. Tesla's original quote range was $2k above their final offer. We had to scramble and sold it via KBB at a local Audi dealer for $2,500 more than the final Tesla offer. That process went fairly smooth.
What the dealership is selling it to you is what they padded on top of it. I guarantee that if I bought directly from Hyundai, I would easily save $5K to $8K, and I would save hours of time that I didn't have to negotiate and listen to their BS. Every dealership just makes it up as they go along. An example, another dealership my friend went to was asking for $5k down and $550 a month on a lease for the exact same car as mine. Bit told me a few months back that his dealership was asking $800 a month LoL! You can't make this s h i t up. Well apparently they do.

You know what? I would actually pay more to bypass a dealership and buy direct and not listen to their BS sales pitches and waste hours of my precious time. I want to be able to sit on my couch, order my car, do the financing and have it delivered directly to me. I've already bought two cars using that method, and that's going to be the way I buy (or lease) my next car

Alright, angry rant over
There is no comparison buying direct and buying from a dealership. No time wasted, the process takes less than 10 minutes to place the order. No up selling, no Bait and Switch. If you add in the time for financing, uploading docs etc it comes out to less than 30 minutes spread over several days. you should have seen the games the dealership was playing. They had me pick the car from inventory, than suddenly when I showed up it was "sold" already. Than the one available was $1000 more because of some added accessory or the color. I specifically told them not to try and upsell me in the back and forth emails, yet they continued to try and upsell me. Then they lied to me about my previous lease. Had I not filed a complaint with the DMV, I would have been out of pocket $2K.

As far as trade in, dealerships do the same thing. Last year they gave me buyout quote for my IS350, than when I brought it for inspection, they dropped it $2k although the car was in mint condition. Their excuse was "changing market conditions" . I ended up selling it private

Situations like these make me appreciate my network of contacts even more, and I'm grateful to have them. I hardly ever have to negotiate or present an offer since they already know to give me their best offer. I conduct thorough research beforehand and verify that it's a good deal. I only visit the dealership to test drive and sign the contract. However, I don't become complacent and always do my homework. I'm aware of the market trends and if it's not the right deal or time, I don't make a deal.

Last edited by UltraLux22; 10-23-23 at 09:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by UltraLux22:
AMIRZA786 (10-23-23), signdetres (10-23-23)
Old 10-23-23, 09:22 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

There is no comparison buying direct and buying from a dealership. No time wasted, the process takes less than 10 minutes to place the order. No up selling, no Bait and Switch. If you add in the time for financing, uploading docs etc it comes out to less than 30 minutes spread over several days. you should have seen the games the dealership was playing. They had me pick the car from inventory, than suddenly when I showed up it was "sold" already. Than the one available was $1000 more because of some added accessory or the color. I specifically told them not to try and upsell me in the back and forth emails, yet they continued to try and upsell me. Then they lied to me about my previous lease. Had I not filed a complaint with the DMV, I would have been out of pocket $2K.

As far as trade in, dealerships do the same thing. Last year they gave me buyout quote for my IS350, than when I brought it for inspection, they dropped it $2k although the car was in mint condition. Their excuse was "changing market conditions" . I ended up selling it private
Mike728 (10-23-23)
Old 10-23-23, 10:29 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

yes Tesla does make many/most things easier on the one hand, but they aren't above at least some squirrelly dealership-type crap on the other. Their trade offers are legendarily low.
Old 10-23-23, 10:35 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

This morning took the Polestar to work, as the Y was being blocked and I was late running to work

As I mentioned previously, this car is the funniest to drive, and definitely has spirit! Nearly 500 hp worth of spirit .

Seating is not nearly as comfortable as either the Y or Ioniq, but it's a great commuter. It's tech is also way behind the other two cars. I have another 14 months on the lease, I may just replace it with another Polestar if their lease terms are what they are today
signdetres (10-23-23)
Old 10-23-23, 10:40 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
yes Tesla does make many/most things easier on the one hand, but they aren't above at least some squirrelly dealership-type crap on the other. Their trade offers are legendarily low.
I never do trade-ins. Most of my cars I've just given to other family members.

As far as what Tesla does with trade-ins, I believe they use Autonation for quoting and selling the trade in. I heard they use CarMax as well
Old 10-23-23, 11:26 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Alright, angry rant over
I never do trade-ins. Most of my cars I've just given to other family members.
As far as what Tesla does with trade-ins, I believe they use Autonation for quoting and selling the trade in. I heard they use CarMax as well
I guess you only wanted to read my post the way you wanted to read not the way it was written. I think you're overly biased about tesla brand. Everything is very green even when you say negative things about it.

You just happened to get yours when the price dropped/changed. No dealership/business goes extra mile to save buyers money. Yeah the only hiccup. Depending how much your trade in is worth, by trading in, you save the tax on the car you're getting too.

Old 10-23-23, 11:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I guess you only wanted to read my post the way you wanted to read not the way it was written. I think you're overly biased about tesla brand. Everything is very green even when you say negative things about it.

You just happened to get yours when the price dropped/changed. No dealership/business goes extra mile to save buyers money. Yeah the only hiccup. Depending how much your trade in is worth, by trading in, you save the tax on the car you're getting too.
100 percent guilty . I am biased. But to say I never criticize Tesla is just not true and patently false. Go back and take a look in the Tesla Business thread, I'm highly critical of Elon and the way he does stuff. Just because I hate the dealership model and think they are a bunch of crooks has nothing to do with Tesla. How many Tesla's do I own, please remind me? And how many other EV's do I own?

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation