EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 07:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,483 Posts

In California, there is absolutely no signs of an EV slowdown. I was amazed at not only the large numbers of new Tesla's on the road, but of the numbers of Ioniq 5's, Ioniq 6's, Kia EV6 and EV9's, Porsche Taycans, BMW i4, i5 and iX, as well as the most number of Cyber Trucks I've seen in a day. Ugly as they are, I was glad to see them! Also I saw multiple truck loads of Tesla's on my way to SoCal, and I saw several truck loads of Ioniq 5's and 6's heading to NorCal, probably offloaded in Long Beach.

Of course Tesla is the King, you could see the Tesla chargers full to the brim throughout Orange County and Riverside County, like this one in Irvine, CA

The Super charger stalls are on all sides of this complex, and all full. EV's are in full swing, no matter what the naysayers spin
Old 04-29-24, 08:43 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 892 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if those 'mfg capabilities' produced cars that could only be sold at a massive loss per car, not much value in buying. i suspect someone will pick up the pieces in bankruptcy for pennies on the dollar.
Yeah you're probably right, I was just hoping they had something of value because I really don't want to see them humiliated and sell off for pennies.
Old 04-30-24, 07:47 AM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

I was in Coquitlam, BC last weekend and saw a lot of Teslas (3/Y). However, I didn't see one single charging station nor signs on the street where EV charging is available.
On the other hand, I stopped by a gas station somewhere near Bellingham, WA and there's a Tesla supercharger station but all unused (maybe 10-15 stalls).
Old 04-30-24, 10:05 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
A bit off topic, but one of the reasons I'm uncomfortable with either my family or myself driving older cars with older safety tech:

The story behind this: my nephew and my sister-in-law were getting on the freeway a couple of weeks back, it was raining hard, and the car immediately hydroplaned and spun around and was struck head on by the car behind them. This is an early 2000's (maybe 2003?) Toyota Corolla, no traction control, no stability control, maybe Anti-lock braking, not sure about that. Thank God nobody was seriously hurt, my sister in law suffered a fracture on her chest. My nephew has been driving only about a year. I warned my brother to get him a newer car, it didn't have to be brand new, just something with traction/stability control, maybe something 2015 and on. But he was like: "It will be alright". Well, thankfully nobody was killed. Hopefully the next car he gives him will be a bit newer
In that case... maybe you should buy a modern ICE. I read hydroplaning is not too uncommon with teslas. No?
Old 04-30-24, 10:37 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
In that case... maybe you should buy a modern ICE. I read hydroplaning is not too uncommon with teslas. No?
I've never experienced better road grip in wet conditions than either my Polestar or Tesla. I can floor either car on wet roads and the tires barely spin. Something about the way the motors deliver power to the wheels, with complete precision, which is one reason EV's are kings off the line.

If I go hard on my Sienna (and my previous IS350) the wheels always spin in wet conditions and the nannies have to reign them in. To me EV's are better in wet conditions. The only thing I've heard about EV's is that you need to turn OPD on low or off on icy roads
Old 04-30-24, 11:22 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,743 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I read hydroplaning is not too uncommon with teslas. No?
Where did you read this? I'd like to see the article.
I've never experienced better road grip in wet conditions than either my Polestar or Tesla. I can floor either car on wet roads and the tires barely spin. Something about the way the motors deliver power to the wheels, with complete precision, which is one reason EV's are kings off the line.
My Model Y is outstanding in the winter, next level. In a way it's too good you have a feeling of complete invulnerability kinda makes me nervous.
Old 04-30-24, 11:25 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 118 Posts

If I go hard on my Sienna (and my previous IS350) the wheels always spin in wet conditions and the nannies have to reign them in. To me EV's are better in wet conditions. The only thing I've heard about EV's is that you need to turn OPD on low or off on icy roads
This sounds more an AWD thing vs it being EV related. No?

An AWD Corolla could provide the same level of stability I would think
Old 04-30-24, 12:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,611 Likes on 1,878 Posts

AWD systems arent created equal...
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (04-30-24)
Old 04-30-24, 12:10 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
This sounds more an AWD thing vs it being EV related. No?

An AWD Corolla could provide the same level of stability I would think
AWD definitely helps, but I think it's more the way EV's deliver their power. They are are like an on-off switch where they can pull power instantly when needed. My friend has an M3 Competition AWD, and I can beat him off the line every time in my Polestar, but we are more evenly matched when doing rolling races
Old 04-30-24, 05:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,611 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Its also the low weight of an EV, and the fact that power can be metered to each wheel and axle much more quickly and precisely
AMIRZA786 (04-30-24)
Old 04-30-24, 07:10 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 118 Posts

AWD definitely helps, but I think it's more the way EV's deliver their power. They are are like an on-off switch where they can pull power instantly when needed. My friend has an M3 Competition AWD, and I can beat him off the line every time in my Polestar, but we are more evenly matched when doing rolling races
Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its also the low weight of an EV, and the fact that power can be metered to each wheel and axle much more quickly and precisely

Power? Watch out for the coal 💨at red lights
Old 04-30-24, 07:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
https://youtu.be/SLv2u8dAx8g?si=JDfhL_c0-hHdPWAx

Power? Watch out for the coal 💨at red lights
I never said ICE can't do it, they just need to expend more energy, need special tires, launch correctly etc. I think on paper my friends Competition is rated at 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds, but he has to launch just right, so maybe 2 out of 5 he gets it. EV, just mash the throttle, no special tires, most road conditions. My Polestar will give me 0 to 60 in 3.7 seconds every time until I run out of battery
Old 04-30-24, 07:35 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,743 Likes on 2,324 Posts

I counted frames that truck did 0-60 in 2.5 seconds according to the speedo. Wheel spin.
Old 04-30-24, 08:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I counted frames that truck did 0-60 in 2.5 seconds according to the speedo. Wheel spin.
I was thinking the same thing. I have a friend who takes his Polestar to a drag race track in San Dimas, CA (invited me a few times) and all the other cars have to warm up their tires and launch to get good times on the board. In the quarter mile he beats all but the super modded, super high performance cars like a C8.

This is not a criticism of ICE, it's just that we have a cheat code that lets us mash down on the throttle and achieve consistent performance. No special tires, no high octane or E85, and no supercharger required
Old 05-02-24, 03:45 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Where did you read this? I'd like to see the article.
My Model Y is outstanding in the winter, next level. In a way it's too good you have a feeling of complete invulnerability kinda makes me nervous.
Hydroplaning can occur on any type of vehicle (more so on AWD) and condition of tires plays an important factor. But regenerating braking certainly can set this up. Of course if you're a well experienced driver, you should be fine and know what to do when you hit the water. But when panic, people tend to either press on the accelerator/gas more or quickly let it go. Either way with Tesla is a bad move and can lead to hydroplaning. As active as you are on here, I'm surprised you have not seen any report from real owners on your social media feeds. I'm not sure if it's coincident but Tesla talk about how to reduce hydroplaning in their manuals too.

AMIRZA786 (05-02-24)

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation