EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-23, 06:01 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 892 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This color works!
Tesla needs colors and flavors and happy to see this.

Originally Posted by pd7702
Midnight Cherry Red is a pretty nice color. The 3,200 euro price is insane for a paint job.

Though I still think Mazda's red is nicer looking. (in photos anyways)
Maybe the cool rims upgrade is part of the $3200 package?

Seems like a lot for just paint but some pant jobs are more work than just shooting a solid color.
Old 07-08-23, 11:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Amazing how many choose to overlook the fact that Teslas had no federal tax incentives for buyers from 2020 through the end of 2022, yet still kept on selling and sales kept on increasing. In the largest markets, many buyers were likely income-thresholded out of state incentives too.
so not really amazing at all as many tesla buyers didn't qualify or don't qualify anyway, plus from 2020-2022 tesla had basically no competition, if you wanted an ev, basically it was going to be a tesla.

Equally amazing how some here have developed a genuinely unhealthy obsession with a type of vehicle they don't own...
not sure who you're referring to by this 'some' (you mean like lex2k? ) but there's a high likelihood my next vehicle will be an ev. i may even have to compromise a lot and get a tesla because basically availability and offerings are so thin overall.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You keep saying that. If I lived in a State like Texas, Arizona, NM etc and had my same income I would probably be considered affluent. Here I'm just middle class, if that even exists anymore.
not trying to make this persona, but you have 5 vehicles, you live in silicon valley, you work in tech, you have a large retirement fund and stock portfolio you've mentioned quite a bit about, yup, you're affluent. and sure, there's a lot of affluent people where you are. and yes, no idea what 'middle class' is any longer... probably people who 'look' like they live well but are buried in debt.

As far as Government incentives, EV's are not the only vehicles that get some type of tax benefit, as gasoline is subsidized in America (by not heavily taxing it like they do in Europe), which is why people love big trucks here. Take away cheap gas, and let's see what they start buying. Let gas start creeping up to European prices, and the Model 3/Y will suddenly triple in popularity.
i don't think we're supposed to discuss gas in this ev forum.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Those are just the wheel covers for aero. The rims look like this when you take them off

Or this if they have the 19" Gemini Wheels:

they look great without the covers! too bad range is impacted without them. how much would you say? 10%?
Old 07-08-23, 12:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so not really amazing at all as many tesla buyers didn't qualify or don't qualify anyway, plus from 2020-2022 tesla had basically no competition, if you wanted an ev, basically it was going to be a tesla.

not sure who you're referring to by this 'some' (you mean like lex2k? ) but there's a high likelihood my next vehicle will be an ev. i may even have to compromise a lot and get a tesla because basically availability and offerings are so thin overall.

not trying to make this persona, but you have 5 vehicles, you live in silicon valley, you work in tech, you have a large retirement fund and stock portfolio you've mentioned quite a bit about, yup, you're affluent. and sure, there's a lot of affluent people where you are. and yes, no idea what 'middle class' is any longer... probably people who 'look' like they live well but are buried in debt.

i don't think we're supposed to discuss gas in this ev forum.

they look great without the covers! too bad range is impacted without them. how much would you say? 10%?
No, for sure we are not supposed to discuss gasoline, but since there is a heavy focus on EV's being heavily subsidized, I thought I would mention that all cars in the US are in some way subsidized, either being in a tax credit, rebate, or what fuels them

From some research I've done, you only lose about 10 miles of range removing the aero covers. Many don't really care and remove them, I actually don't mind them, and since I do a lot trips, 10 more miles can make a big difference.

This is just my opinion, but even with all the other EV offerings, Tesla will always be the top dog for at least the next 5 to 10 years. I've driven in a bunch of different EV's (Ioniq 5, Audi E-Tron, BMW i4, Polestar 2) and cars like the E-Tron and i4 offer better ride with air suspension and more traditional vehicle controls, but they don't match Tesla in motors, battery and software. They all have to use bigger batteries just to match Tesla's range. They are so far behind Tesla in every way, including factories, and God knows when they are even going to break even on their investments. Let me put it this way...we are in a 500 mile race, and Tesla left 5 AM and is going 90 mph, everyone else left at noon and are going 60. They will eventually reach 90 mph, but unless Tesla has a breakdown or flat tire, good luck catching up. Although adopting the NACS connector and Tesla opening up their charging infrastructure does give legacy automakers a chance to offer worry free charging to it's potential customers
The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (07-08-23)
Old 07-08-23, 12:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,743 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Least talked about aspect of Tesla's business. Megapack is 2 years out for delivery wait times are getting longer.

https://www.tesla.com/megapack/design

Old 07-09-23, 05:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Dojo is running and doing meaningful work. To what extent we don't know. To be honest I was skeptical this compute cluster would ever become a reality.

JeffKeryk (05-08-24)
Old 07-10-23, 12:51 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 246 Likes on 138 Posts

Tesla Cleared To Begin Gigafactory Mexico Construction

https://insideevs.com/news/676051/te...roduction/amp/

Nuevo León governor Samuel García recently announced that the local authorities had cleared all paperwork, meaning Tesla will likely commence construction of Gigafactory Mexico very soonGigafactory Mexico will reside outside Monterrey, a sizable city in the Northeastern portion of the country. This comes after Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador announced on February 28th that Tesla selected Nuevo León for its upcoming manufacturing site.

The following day was March 1st, or Tesla's 2023 Investor Day, and Musk revealed further plans for Gigafactory Mexico. Musk said that the firm's next-generation vehicle will be produced there, alluding to Tesla's next entry-level EV.

Recently, Governor Samuel García said, "What we have of information is that right now they are already in the final stage of the design of the new car, new model, which is going to be, as far as we know, the best electric and economical car in the world, and it is going to be a hit."

With site production imminent, it means a closer step to a new generation of Tesla vehicles. If Tesla can maintain an affordable entry price of around $25,000, or even $30,000 for that matter, this new vehicle will be a sure sales success.

"We do not yet have a date of when, but the good news is that all the permits, of the environment, of energy, of water, everything is already halved, it is progressing," García said. "So at any moment we are going to give them the news that the first stone is being laid."
The following 3 users liked this post by Hameed:
AMIRZA786 (07-10-23), JeffKeryk (07-10-23), LeX2K (07-10-23)
Old 07-10-23, 10:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I wonder how many factories Tesla will build to produce the $25,000 car. Demand for a truly affordable EV seems almost limitless.

Some hardware *orn.

Old 07-11-23, 04:55 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I wonder how many factories Tesla will build to produce the $25,000 car. Demand for a truly affordable EV seems almost limitless.

Some hardware *orn.

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/sta...49267067813888
One reason Tesla chose Monterrey is that it is a relatively educated, affluent area. The Model 2 could be a suitable, or nearly perfect, vehicle to open up a new LATAM market.
Factory workers can afford them and buy them. Then watch their family and friends follow.
AMIRZA786 (07-13-23)
Old 07-13-23, 10:13 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Interesting.....

https://electrek.co/2023/07/13/tesla...aiCw1dVeXx8dd8
Old 07-13-23, 10:20 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
What's more interesting about this article is how Google sells our search history data....
Old 07-13-23, 11:21 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

"The Tesla Model Y may spend a bit more time as the world’s top-selling car. As per a recent study from Kelley Blue Book, Americans registered twice as many Tesla Model Y crossovers year-over-year in the period between January and May 2023"

"Data from Experian, a firm that tracks new vehicle registrations, revealed that electric cars now make up about 7% of new car registrations for the first five months of the year. For comparison, electric vehicles comprised 4.6% of new vehicle registrations in the same period last year"

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...ing-usa-study/
Old 07-13-23, 11:49 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Model Y makes up 36% of all EVs on the road in the U.S.

AMIRZA786 (07-13-23)
Old 07-13-23, 01:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

For those of you that travel or have travelled between SF and LA, remember this famous landmark restaurant off the I-5 in Firebaugh?

Well, they just tore it down, and rumor is, the Tesla superchargers next door will be taking this whole area and expanding

https://www.sfgate.com/centralcoast/...d-18195585.php
Old 07-13-23, 08:56 PM
Lead Lap

Received 765 Likes on 515 Posts

Cybertruck testing in New Zealand.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/tesla-...HNTH63PAOSXVQ/
Old 07-14-23, 04:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
If you don't mind please put a description of what's in the link so people don't have to click to find out what is interesting.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-14-23 at 04:53 AM.
Tdes395 (07-14-23)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread