EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-23, 06:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i find the whole musical batteries types hard to follow...

can you say what made you believe it had the iron battery pack?

yup, can't follow any of that.

nca? lfp? 2170? 4680? i know some of it, the 4680 is larger cells which were touted for years before they came out (including on here) as the great breakthrough yet it seems tesla still doesn't use them widely for some reason, why is that? the iron batteries seem inferior... are they?

when you order a tesla, do you have ANY idea what's going to be in it, or do you just have to read thousands of posts and articles to 'believe' what it will have?
Interesting questions Bit. I remember the 4680 was talked about a lot. Batteries must change constantly. Never really thought about it, but how do you know what you are getting?
Old 04-24-23, 07:29 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,483 Posts

i find the whole musical batteries types hard to follow...

can you say what made you believe it had the iron battery pack?

yup, can't follow any of that.

nca? lfp? 2170? 4680? i know some of it, the 4680 is larger cells which were touted for years before they came out (including on here) as the great breakthrough yet it seems tesla still doesn't use them widely for some reason, why is that? the iron batteries seem inferior... are they?

when you order a tesla, do you have ANY idea what's going to be in it, or do you just have to read thousands of posts and articles to 'believe' what it will have?
Haha don't worry about being confused, I get confused as well LoL. So the LFP batteries, or Lithium Iron phosphate chemistry battery packs (4680) at this point are only being used in the Model 3 base and Model Y AWD base models. I got confused because my brother in law told me that he thought that Tesla was installing them in all new models, but I think he just misheard or misunderstood, and I should have verified what he told me

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-24-23 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-24-23, 07:31 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

AMIRZA786 - when you get the Y you'll have 3 EV's, right? last gen ioniq, polestar 2, and new Y?
That is correct. Ioniq EV will go back to Hyundai in November after it's lease ends

EDIT

If you count my daughters Bolt, that will be 4 EV's

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-24-23 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-24-23, 08:12 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Figure out a way to make it look more like performance
I'm probably going to go with some better rims, but keeping it on the 19" as 20" wheels are just way to harsh for me. Might look into lowering it 1/4 to 1/2". Ultimately it's probably going to end up going to my wife, so I don't want to go too far
Old 04-24-23, 10:16 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 324 Posts

[QUOTE=AMIRZA786;11493171]I remember the Tesla show room on El Camino Real, I literally lived on the same street about half mile away, the In and out was across the street! My daughter and I used to walk past it when she was about eight years old. I don't think that showroom is there anymore[/QUOTE]
I am talking about just north of Wolfe Road on the El C. Across the street from the Marie Callender pie shop shopping center.
The Tesla Store showroom is there; in fact they added another with the ex-Nissan (or maybe ex-Chrysler Dodge) showroom 2 blocks north.

With the current prices, I gotta stay outta there. My neighbor's BMW 3 got totaled when a huge tree toppled during the storms. He just took ownership of a Model Y like yours, only dark grey. Beautiful! They are already thinking of getting a Model 3 for his wife, who works in Palo Alto. The cult is growing... There's a reason for it.
Old 04-24-23, 10:31 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=JeffKeryk;11493520]
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I remember the Tesla show room on El Camino Real, I literally lived on the same street about half mile away, the In and out was across the street! My daughter and I used to walk past it when she was about eight years old. I don't think that showroom is there anymore[/QUOTE]
I am talking about just north of Wolfe Road on the El C. Across the street from the Marie Callender pie shop shopping center.
The Tesla Store showroom is there; in fact they added another with the ex-Nissan (or maybe ex-Chrysler Dodge) showroom 2 blocks north.

With the current prices, I gotta stay outta there. My neighbor's BMW 3 got totaled when a huge tree toppled during the storms. He just took ownership of a Model Y like yours, only dark grey. Beautiful! They are already thinking of getting a Model 3 for his wife, who works in Palo Alto. The cult is growing... There's a reason for it.
Yes, I know the area, I bought a Townhouse on the eastside of El Camino Real in 2006, I think it was next door to the Hotel. Marie Calendars was just half a block away heading towards Wolfe Road. I used to walk every evening, make a left on Wolfe and walk all the way to the bridge where the Caltrains tracks ran and turn back. I remember sometimes my daughter would go with me, she had an imaginary friend she called "Arithmetic". She must of have been 7 or 8 years old, and we would pass this house and she would be mumbling about how Arithmetic lived there LOL. I had no idea at the time what she was talking about!

I also remember the Nissan dealership, I test drove a Quest Minivan when my wife totalled our 2004 Sienna in 2013. Nope. Bought another Sienna. Glad the Tesla showroom is still there
Old 04-24-23, 11:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

If you count my daughters Bolt, that will be 4 EV's
that's gotta put you in the 1% of the 1% in the u.s.!

Haha don't worry about being confused, I get confused as well LoL. So the LFP batteries, or Lithium Iron phosphate chemistry battery packs (4680) at this point are only being used in the Model 3 base and Model Y AWD base models. I got confused because my brother in law told me that he thought that Tesla was installing them in all new models, but I think he just misheard or misunderstood, and I should have verified what he told me
so the iron batteries ARE the 4680's?
i somehow thought from reading they were in some way inferior to the other batteries that have been used all along (not as good range, for example)... is that in any part true?
but you're pretty sure you're getting the other original (smaller) type of (2170?) batteries
Old 04-24-23, 11:26 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

that's gotta put you in the 1% of the 1% in the u.s.!

so the iron batteries ARE the 4680's?
i somehow thought from reading they were in some way inferior to the other batteries that have been used all along (not as good range, for example)... is that in any part true?
but you're pretty sure you're getting the other original (smaller) type of (2170?) batteries
Yep!

They are still working on the 4680, thus why it's in limited use on their base models. At this point what I've read is that they are less energy dense than the Lithium Ion batteries in use. They could be limiting them with software, as my brother in law told me that prior to the latest software update, recommended charging was 90 percent, but now recommended charging is 100 percent after the software update. Because of the less energy density, range is slightly less. But these will supposably last longer than the Lithium Ion batteries.

Yes, for sure I'm getting the 2170 battery pack, which I'm not sure if its a smaller battery pack or larger one, but it will give 330 miles range (290 to 300 realistically the way I drive)
Old 04-24-23, 11:37 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,155 Likes on 857 Posts

Congrats, so you are getting what battery tech exactly?

You started off listing the new iron based ones that are popular (I'm using them) for safety and discharge capability but it sounds like it's still not out for the Y yet?

Any reason you didn't opt for the top model?
Old 04-24-23, 11:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Congrats, so you are getting what battery tech exactly?

You started off listing the new iron based ones that are popular (I'm using them) for safety and discharge capability but it sounds like it's still not out for the Y yet?

Any reason you didn't opt for the top model?
Well the Long Range Y I bought doesn't use the Iron Phosphate battery pack, currently only the Y and 3 base models use it. As far as why I didn't get the Y performance...I opted for range instead. The Y Long Range still has plenty of power at 425 HP. As I mentioned earlier, I travel a lot, and the extra range is what I wanted most. Also, the Performance Model comes with 20" wheels, I really hate them. They are loud, and they make the ride harsher. I would end up swapping them out for 19" anyway. Also the Performance has stiffer suspension, I prefer the softer suspension because when I travel, a lot of the roads suck. Lastly, the wife is probably going to end up with this car is a couple of years.

And thanks!
Old 04-24-23, 12:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Well the Long Range Y I bought doesn't use the Iron Phosphate battery pack, currently only the Y and 3 base models use it. As far as why I didn't get the Y performance...I opted for range instead. The Y Long Range still has plenty of power at 425 HP. As I mentioned earlier, I travel a lot, and the extra range is what I wanted most. Also, the Performance Model comes with 20" wheels, I really hate them. They are loud, and they make the ride harsher. I would end up swapping them out for 19" anyway. Also the Performance has stiffer suspension, I prefer the softer suspension because when I travel, a lot of the roads suck. Lastly, the wife is probably going to end up with this car is a couple of years.

And thanks!
Ah okay thanks, I wasn't sure if it would still have the higher density pack or the new tech one when yours showed up.

Do the YP and LR have the same battery pack? The site is unclear.....the range is close enough that the heavier wheels on the P may be the only cause....

Makes sense if you will be giving it to your wife and using smaller rims anyway, I assume it will be your primary for a while though? Or will you continue using the PS?
Old 04-24-23, 12:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Ah okay thanks, I wasn't sure if it would still have the higher density pack or the new tech one when yours showed up.

Do the YP and LR have the same battery pack? The site is unclear.....the range is close enough that the heavier wheels on the P may be the only cause....

Makes sense if you will be giving it to your wife and using smaller rims anyway, I assume it will be your primary for a while though? Or will you continue using the PS?
Yes, both YP and LR use the same high density battery pack. And yes, it's the 20" that eat the range on the YP. I'm pretty sure there won't be any other battery pack used between now and the delivery date. The 4680 is still being developed and most likely won't be fully ready for other models until next year. They use it in the base models because it's much cheaper to manufacture than the current high density battery pack

Yes, it will probably be my primary vehicle when I get it, either my wife or son will use the Polestar (I'm betting my son will convince his mom he "needs it more") and we will continue to use the Ioniq EV as well until we turn it over in November. My wife is actually very comfortable with the Ioniq, so she will probably switch from the Sienna back to the Ioniq (my son uses the Ioniq right now to go to college)
Old 04-24-23, 12:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Yes, both YP and LR use the same high density battery pack. And yes, it's the 20" that eat the range on the YP. I'm pretty sure there won't be any other battery pack used between now and the delivery date. The 4680 is still being developed and most likely won't be fully ready for other models until next year. They use it in the base models because it's much cheaper to manufacture than the current high density battery pack

Yes, it will probably be my primary vehicle when I get it, either my wife or son will use the Polestar (I'm betting my son will convince his mom he "needs it more") and we will continue to use the Ioniq EV as well until we turn it over in November. My wife is actually very comfortable with the Ioniq, so she will probably switch from the Sienna back to the Ioniq (my son uses the Ioniq right now to go to college)
Thanks, I figured they may have been the same since I could not find any differences other than the base using a low density pack. As far as the rest goes are the motor units the same or are there actual hardware differences? If not then the long range makes a lot of sense provided someone can figure out how to override the controllers to allow the full motor capability but I don't think that's possible on Tesla yet.....
Old 04-24-23, 12:51 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Thanks, I figured they may have been the same since I could not find any differences other than the base using a low density pack. As far as the rest goes are the motor units the same or are there actual hardware differences? If not then the long range makes a lot of sense provided someone can figure out how to override the controllers to allow the full motor capability but I don't think that's possible on Tesla yet.....
I believe both the LR and YP both use the same motors, software limits power. But there is also bigger tires and brakes as well as stiffer suspension (at least different tuning) on the YP. But someone will figure out how to "jailbreak" the software
Old 04-24-23, 01:10 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I believe both the LR and YP both use the same motors, software limits power. But there is also bigger tires and brakes as well as stiffer suspension (at least different tuning) on the YP. But someone will figure out how to "jailbreak" the software
Seems like I was correct then lol!

Yeah I wouldn't bother with a performance if the only difference was a artificial paywall and software lockdown. Hardware differences sure but not if it's just a money making separation.....

I hope someone figures out how to defeat the OTA updates or it will never be possible to unlock the hardware you paid for.

Quick Reply: Arrived...2023 Model Y in Black