ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Does the 2002 es300 have a cvt transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-15, 05:23 PM
99custom
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Does the 2002 es300 have a cvt transmission?

Sorry for simple question, I thought it was drive by wire then I read on edmunds.com it was a CVT.

My wife has a 2002 es300 and I hate the transmission shifting so I'm curious.
Old 06-27-15, 05:33 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

drive by wire only describes how the throttle works, meaning previously there used to be a cable that would operate the throttle body but now its drive by wire in that the computer sends a signal to the throttle body telling it how far to open based on the position of the pedal. i don't believe there are any lexus currently out that have a CVT, I could be wrong on that though.
Old 06-27-15, 05:48 PM
99custom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PuReChaos
drive by wire only describes how the throttle works, meaning previously there used to be a cable that would operate the throttle body but now its drive by wire in that the computer sends a signal to the throttle body telling it how far to open based on the position of the pedal. i don't believe there are any lexus currently out that have a CVT, I could be wrong on that though.
Thanks for explaining the drive by wire. I'm wanting to use some lubegard in the transmission to smooth out the shifting. But you can't use it in CVT cars. I normally don't use products like these but lubegard has such high reviews on amazon.
Old 06-27-15, 07:06 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, for your ES...If you are not happy with the shifting, disconnect the battery terminals for a few minutes so it will reset the computer's memory of driving style and it will adjust and make a huge difference. Honestly feels like a different car after you do this every once in a while.
Old 06-27-15, 10:53 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

My wife has a 2002 es300 and I hate the transmission shifting so I'm curious.

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...#ixzz3eKh62n95
If the transmission isn't shifting well, address the underlying mechanical problems and don't throw nonsense mousemilk like Lubeguard at it. Bad experience with that stuff myself in an Acura recently (now rebuilding the transmission partly or perhaps mostly because of it; was working perfectly before I added it).

Known issue with the 2002 gen ES300 and U151E are that the 3 lower engine mounting points (reduced from four on the prior gen) were a bad design flaw. General fail points are the front center mount, and the upper torque strut (dog-leg brace between the Rube Goldberg-esque front engine mount brackets and the Left upper strut tower). Left and Right mounts usually are OK but worth inspecting.

Replace those two, break open the tranny cooler lines near the radiator and exchange out the tired old mediocre T-IV and put in Valvoline MaxLife ATF synthetic (cheap at Walmart in gallon jugs). You'll be shocked how nice the unit is after that. Our 2002 has 240k miles on it and runs BETTER than new (with synthetic fluids and good maintenance).

Pulling the battery to reset the PCU as mentioned is a valid thing, too. If a lead foot has programmed in that response, it will reset. However, the learning curve of the PCU is pretty fast. My partner has a lead foot and when we switch, I can see the PCU re-learn my habits within a day/50 miles or so of stop/go. She drives the car Monday to Friday and I mostly do on the weekends. It will learn my habits fast. No need to really do that and blank out the stereo/homelink/etc. if you don't want to.

Last edited by Oro; 06-27-15 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-28-15, 08:06 AM
99custom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Oro
If the transmission isn't shifting well, address the underlying mechanical problems and don't throw nonsense mousemilk like Lubeguard at it. Bad experience with that stuff myself in an Acura recently (now rebuilding the transmission partly or perhaps mostly because of it; was working perfectly before I added it).

Known issue with the 2002 gen ES300 and U151E are that the 3 lower engine mounting points (reduced from four on the prior gen) were a bad design flaw. General fail points are the front center mount, and the upper torque strut (dog-leg brace between the Rube Goldberg-esque front engine mount brackets and the Left upper strut tower). Left and Right mounts usually are OK but worth inspecting.

Replace those two, break open the tranny cooler lines near the radiator and exchange out the tired old mediocre T-IV and put in Valvoline MaxLife ATF synthetic (cheap at Walmart in gallon jugs). You'll be shocked how nice the unit is after that. Our 2002 has 240k miles on it and runs BETTER than new (with synthetic fluids and good maintenance).

Pulling the battery to reset the PCU as mentioned is a valid thing, too. If a lead foot has programmed in that response, it will reset. However, the learning curve of the PCU is pretty fast. My partner has a lead foot and when we switch, I can see the PCU re-learn my habits within a day/50 miles or so of stop/go. She drives the car Monday to Friday and I mostly do on the weekends. It will learn my habits fast. No need to really do that and blank out the stereo/homelink/etc. if you don't want to.
I changed all the motor mounts and tranny mount at 100K. the car rides smooth and shifts smooth 95% of the time, it just has an aggressive 2-3 shift completely out of nowhere once and awhile and it bothers me. I've done the drain and fills with the Toyota trans oil every 25k.

No one has yet answered if the tranny is CVT though?
Old 06-28-15, 11:46 AM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Not a CVT. You actually answered your own question by asking about the shifting harshness. A CVT transmission
does not have shift and/or speeds.

Last edited by HomerJay; 06-28-15 at 11:47 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 06-28-15, 01:36 PM
99custom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by HomerJay
Not a CVT. You actually answered your own question by asking about the shifting harshness. A CVT transmission
does not have shift and/or speeds.
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I just hear people complaining about CVT trannys all the time on car forums, I didn't actually know how they worked..Thanks
Old 06-28-15, 06:13 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, Nissan is a big proponent of them, but they are very odd to drive in my opinion. They kind of leave you on the edge of your seat waiting for a shift to happen haha, it's quite different. Definitely not a fan.
Old 06-29-15, 06:32 AM
285exp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PuReChaos
All the hybrid Lexi have cvts.

OP, Google is your friend,