ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2019 es A C

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 08:02 AM
floorman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 es A C

Hello, new to forum, looking at 2019 es350. Question, how do you turn off A C Key pad ? Thanks
Old 05-22-19, 09:36 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm not clear what an A C Key pad is, so I can't tell you how to turn it off.

Assuming A C means Air Conditioning, I can tell you that you have a lot of control over the HVAC system on the ES. Mostly done on the Multimedia screen, many functions are also available via buttons on the dash above the console. I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish.
Old 05-22-19, 09:43 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

I have a 2019 ES 350 and am also unsure what you are asking. Most settings are accomplished thru the menu, then climate control. You must go into climate control to turn the A/C on or off...
Old 05-22-19, 09:53 AM
floorman
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Woodrow;10523740]I'm not clear what an A C Key pad is, so I can't tell you how to turn it off.

Assuming A C means Air Conditioning, I can tell you that you have a lot of control over the HVAC system on the ES. Mostly done on the Multimedia screen, many functions are also available via buttons on the dash above the console. I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish.[/QUOTE

Thank You I was wondering how to turn off air conditioning. My 03 es had a separate button on dash. Looks like a lot of functions are controlled by Multimedia screen. Technology marches on
Old 05-22-19, 10:15 AM
ES350mark
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I have a 2019 ES 350 and am also unsure what you are asking. Most settings are accomplished thru the menu, then climate control. You must go into climate control to turn the A/C on or off...
Having owned a 2013 Lexus ES 350 (UL) and now a 2015 Lexus ES 350 (UL) this has been an issue that should have been addressed on the new gen. You would think it would be so much easier to press a AC button instead of having to go thru the HVAC menu to shut down the compressor, only to have to repeat the process every time you shut down the car. My Acura RL has a separate AC button or just say "AC off" on voice command which is so simple and easy.
Old 05-22-19, 10:31 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

There is a button on the dash to turn off "Auto" mode and the fan, but as bc6152 points out, you have to turn AC off all together in the climate control screen. An interesting point is that it also has an "ECO" mode where AC and heater outputs are limited in order to prioritize fuel economy. With previous cars, I have also turned off AC in the winter, but I'm not sure it's necessary anymore. Honestly, I'm not sure it ever was necessary, but I did it anyway.

You're gonna love this car!
Old 05-22-19, 10:44 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Good to have the AC run all year round to keep seals etc lubricated.. Just riase the temp if it's too cold. Or a fairly simple click on the screen to turn it off once you're in CLIMATE mode.
Old 05-22-19, 12:34 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Not sure if this is the case on the 2019 ES or not - on the 2018 LS I just leave it on auto and the only thing I touch is the temperature control. The new system actually does a real nice job of keeping the cabin at the temperature you want, including the seat cooler/heater. On my prior LS cars I kept having to adjust the AC system as I could never get auto to keep the cabin comfortable. So while Lexus has removed many of the buttons that we were all used to, they have substantially improved how Auto AC works.

Last edited by nsaldanh; 05-22-19 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-22-19, 01:45 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I've read and heard, many times, that running the compressor helps to keep the seals in the system lubricated, and I'm sure that that is true, but that doesn't mean that, to keep the seals lubricated, you need to have the compressor running 100% of the time.

For me, there are times when the outdoor humidity is at a perfect level, and I don't want the compressor running because taking any more moisture out of the air makes it, to me, uncomfortable. Thus, I'm in the group that would like to have an AC button on the dash, and, like others, I find it to be a pain to have to work through the on-screen menu system to turn the compressor off. As was said by another in this thread, I find that a number of the dash buttons are less useful than would be an AC on/off button.

All things considered, though, this is a good example of a first world problem.
Old 05-22-19, 01:49 PM
floorman
Driver School Candidate

Thank You all for the responses. I grew up in a time when technology was a lot more basic. I'm pulling the trigger on a new es 350 Luxury model this fall. Have read all the reviews and it appears to be a wonderful car. I do a considerable amount of highway driving ( Daytona Beach - Chicago) about 6 or 7 times a year, and look forward to the comfort and quiet of this well engineered car.
Old 05-22-19, 05:26 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
Not sure if this is the case on the 2019 ES or not - on the 2018 LS I just leave it on auto and the only thing I touch is the temperature control. The new system actually does a real nice job of keeping the cabin at the temperature you want, including the seat cooler/heater. On my prior LS cars I kept having to adjust the AC system as I could never get auto to keep the cabin comfortable. So while Lexus has removed many of the buttons that we were all used to, they have substantially improved how Auto AC works.
The new ES has the Lexus concierge which manages all of the climate options includinng the seats if you so desire. Me -I just leave it in AUTO and adjust the temp as you pointed out.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
kalel2127 (05-23-19), nsaldanh (05-23-19)
Old 05-22-19, 07:40 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Oddly enough, our 2016 Lexus NX has a button on the dash to turn AC on/off. Odd that Lexus has made the design decision to remove this button from their sedans. Regardless, I just set it to auto and forget it on both the ES and the NX. It works fine for us be we also live in a very arid climate where we don't have to worry about high humidity causing mold or odor problems.
Old 05-23-19, 05:42 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TechNut
Oddly enough, our 2016 Lexus NX has a button on the dash to turn AC on/off. Odd that Lexus has made the design decision to remove this button from their sedans. Regardless, I just set it to auto and forget it on both the ES and the NX. It works fine for us be we also live in a very arid climate where we don't have to worry about high humidity causing mold or odor problems.
Our 2017 RX has no AC button so it's not a sedan thing either.
Old 05-23-19, 07:02 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

And the 19 IS has the AC button, so it's pretty inconsistent within the Lexus lineup.
Old 05-23-19, 08:04 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I've read and heard, many times, that running the compressor helps to keep the seals in the system lubricated, and I'm sure that that is true, but that doesn't mean that, to keep the seals lubricated, you need to have the compressor running 100% of the time.

For me, there are times when the outdoor humidity is at a perfect level, and I don't want the compressor running because taking any more moisture out of the air makes it, to me, uncomfortable. Thus, I'm in the group that would like to have an AC button on the dash, and, like others, I find it to be a pain to have to work through the on-screen menu system to turn the compressor off. As was said by another in this thread, I find that a number of the dash buttons are less useful than would be an AC on/off button.

All things considered, though, this is a good example of a first world problem.
It's clearly a Lexus feature, because the 2019 Avalon line still includes the on/off AC button on the dash.

Quick Reply: 2019 es A C