ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2019 es A C

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 11:43 PM
kaytoven
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I agree, it would be a lot more convenient to have a physical AC button than having to go through the menu.
Old 05-31-19, 07:24 AM
Johnss
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The new ES has the Lexus concierge which manages all of the climate options includinng the seats if you so desire. Me -I just leave it in AUTO and adjust the temp as you pointed out.
I'd like to turn off the A/C when I dont feel I need it.

YMMV but my MPG is about 10% better with the A/C off vs AUTO(this is all driving in ECO mode).
Old 04-16-22, 02:24 PM
alan311
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I've read and heard, many times, that running the compressor helps to keep the seals in the system lubricated, and I'm sure that that is true, but that doesn't mean that, to keep the seals lubricated, you need to have the compressor running 100% of the time.

For me, there are times when the outdoor humidity is at a perfect level, and I don't want the compressor running because taking any more moisture out of the air makes it, to me, uncomfortable. Thus, I'm in the group that would like to have an AC button on the dash, and, like others, I find it to be a pain to have to work through the on-screen menu system to turn the compressor off. As was said by another in this thread, I find that a number of the dash buttons are less useful than would be an AC on/off button.

All things considered, though, this is a good example of a first world problem.
This AC on/off button that Lexus stupidly decided intentionally or unintentionally to remove, is the main reason why I cant buy any Lexus ES 2013+. Its said they kept this design decision in the 2019+ models as well as I'm learning here now. There is no reason to remove the button. Its like companies deciding to remove the headphone jack from phones or Youtube deciding to remove the dislike button.
Old 04-17-22, 10:02 AM
velocity12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In a manner of speaking, there is actually an A/C button on the dash. Just turn the air recirculating button to outside air and not on auto. This turns the A/C off. Switching it to auto again will turn the A/C on.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (04-17-22)
Old 04-17-22, 10:21 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 885 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by alan311
This AC on/off button that Lexus stupidly decided intentionally or unintentionally to remove, is the main reason why I cant buy any Lexus ES 2013+.
Personally I wouldn't disqualify an entire automobile on the basis of its A/C button, but it's your money and your choice. Of course, considering that most of the German competition has removed not just the A/C button but virtually every button on the dashboard, it's not a sure thing you'll find any other automobile in this class with your idea of acceptable controls.
bc6152 (04-17-22)
Old 04-18-22, 02:41 AM
alan311
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by velocity12
In a manner of speaking, there is actually an A/C button on the dash. Just turn the air recirculating button to outside air and not on auto. This turns the A/C off. Switching it to auto again will turn the A/C on.
Thanks, yea I've seen that here before. I also have some saved links and quotes from other responses on this forum e.g.: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ml#post9515996
This guy says:
But the problem with that solution is that, whenever you want to use the AC, you also need to use the recirculate mode. If you try to switch to the fresh air mode, it will turn off the AC compressor.

Many have found that using the recirculate mode continuously results in stale/musty cabin air. Also, as I explained in a previous post, when you start the car after it has been sitting in the sun on a hot day, it will actually take longer to cool off the cabin in the recirculate mode than it does in the fresh air mode. Thus, the inability to use the fresh air mode with the AC is why many of us have found that this solution is not one that we would choose to use.
So... there may be work arounds but they result in a very confusing, unpleasant experience for me. I want to see an "AC" button that turns it off, thats it. Recycle has its own purpose and mixing it with AC is confusing. Why remove a straight forward button with a purpose that all cars have always had and everyone uses (I use it and I need it). When a car makes a design choice like that results in the customer (me) being frustrated, that completely turns me off just like how just one thing "smoking" is a huge turn off for people looking for a potential mate. Its just one thing but it drives the choice and I would say, rightfully so.
But thanks for the response. Yea I'm aware some kinds of work-arounds exist but I dont accept them as valid choices for me. I'm aware others have accepted that design choice and learned to live with it etc, or dont use it (because they say they just let the car manage the climate). For me its not something I can accept. The other thing is I checked a few used ~2013 ES300h's and all of the had codes popping up on my OBD code reader. I also decided I like the more obvious controls of other cars like Camry's. They're larger and easier to see. The Lexus design also makes it look nice but makes the buttons harder to see and distinguish. Thats not a huge deal for me but a contributing factor. So far I've decided to go with an XLE Camry with leather seats. I have a 2002 es300 right now that I'm wanting to replace as soon as the prices come down and I really spent a lot of energy on this and wanted to buy a newer ES but ultimately decided not to because of all these issues. Its sad but I had to let go of this as a potential buy. I cant make myself accept this and then I see others being frustrated here or asking how to do this. The choice for Lexus designers to remove that button is completely unjustified in my opinion just like removing the headphones jack from phones. I dont feel alone in being frustrated by this design choice and thankfully I havent bought the car yet so I can make that choice now and not buy the car. Just trying to explain all my reasons for this.

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
Personally I wouldn't disqualify an entire automobile on the basis of its A/C button, but it's your money and your choice. Of course, considering that most of the German competition has removed not just the A/C button but virtually every button on the dashboard, it's not a sure thing you'll find any other automobile in this class with your idea of acceptable controls.
That is 'argumentum ad populum' (certain other car manufacturers have done it and they're all going the same way etc so my demand to see an AC button is invalid, or that removal of the headphones jack on phones is totally OK because Apple and Samsung are doing on their new phones). I'll also mention the same example of people refusing to date smokers and thats just one aspect and yet they are rejected as a potential mate just because of one thing and rightfully so. There's no valid reason to remove the AC in my opinion and that choice completely turns me off from the vehicle. Yes I understand people exist who dont see it as a problem (its their choice, not mine). For me its the spirit of the design, the fact that they thought it was ok to remove it makes me angry. I value product design in everything and notice every thing about every product I use from a toothpick to a car, I notice all the details. That is me as I said. Others are happy with this design choice, fine. They live their life, I life mine and make the choices that make sense to me.
The Camry XLE Hybrid with leather seats (currently what I want to get) is not a Lexus but it is what it is. I think at the end of the day it would be user-friendly aspects that would make me less or more frustrated me on a daily basis which would define how happy I am with the car, not the fact that its more exquisitely and luxuriously designed like the ES. Thats where I am at this time.
But speaking of this:
most of the German competition has removed not just the A/C button but virtually every button on the dashboard
Yea I dont like that. I like physical buttons for the most regularly used controls and then everything else behind menus. I feel its a frustrating user experience for me to go looking for things on a touch screen when I'm driving and trying to pay attention to the road. Having physical buttons that are always in a fixed location makes it faster and easier for me to use that feature. I will never buy a car without physical buttons and a giant touch screen and if all cars actually started doing that, that would be sad. I would then just buy an older car since I cant deal with that. Yes I understand other people are fine with it. Once again thats my choice, they can drive an elephant with handle bars if they like. Everyone has their own preferences.
I did try to look this up and looks like Mercedes (German) has started copying Tesla too and putting in giant touch screens with no physical buttons, if thats what you were talking about? Did the BMW do the same thing? Thats the other thing. A design choice based on just copying another manufacturer (because it makes it look cool or whatever) is just the wrong thing to do. Another reason for me to reject giant screens. Its similar to the headphones jack thing. They start copying each other's bad design choices just to be in what they think is the cool crowd.

Last edited by alan311; 04-18-22 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-18-22, 08:17 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Does the elephant with handle bars have an AC button? Just curious
Old 04-18-22, 08:45 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,578 Posts

The headphone jack on phones SHOULD be removed. Extremely excellent decision. Same w/ the charger -- buy a good 20/30w charger once and you won't need a new one for years unlike getting that stupid silly one every time you upgrade your phone. I have mountains of those.

As far as A/C button, the car has so many buttons to begin with, so that's not one they should have left out i agree. it is weird having to go through menus. Sometimes the weather is nice (cool) outside and I don't want to waste resources by running the ac but just want to blow cool air from outside to the inside withOUT opening the windows and it's just odd to go through the menus. plus switching between AC on and off & recirc on and off (all the above) is a good way to clear all the pathways once in a while so you don't develop musty mildew smell.

Old 04-18-22, 10:37 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 885 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by alan311

That is 'argumentum ad populum' (certain other car manufacturers have done it and they're all going the same way etc so my demand to see an AC button is invalid, or that removal of the headphones jack on phones is totally OK because Apple and Samsung are doing on their new phones)...

I did try to look this up and looks like Mercedes (German) has started copying Tesla too and putting in giant touch screens with no physical buttons, if thats what you were talking about? Did the BMW do the same thing.
Alan, I know this is the Internet, but you don't get to misquote a stranger so that you can give them a lecture on debate techniques. I never said the words you put in my mouth, that your wish was "invalid" or that the lack of the feature was "totally OK." In fact, I explicitly respected you by saying the opposite, in these exact words: "It's your money and your choice" (see above).

That said, yes, I was talking about the trend by most German makers to follow Tesla and put everything on the touchscreen. AFAIK, the Audi A4 and A6 are all-screen now, and I think Mercedes C and E are the same. BMW I have no idea, partly because a V6 5 Series is about $25,000 more than an ES 350 and therefore irrelevant to a person of my ordinary income. Do those touchscreens have an A/C on/off spot on the primary HVAC screen? I have no idea, which is why I said "it's not a sure thing." Good luck in your search, new or used, and please don't misquote me again in the future.

Old 04-20-22, 05:29 AM
Danno1958
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought my 2019 ES 350 in early February 2022 (Only 15k miles). I too was puzzled over how to shut down the AC when I wanted to. Leaving everything in Auto will do a great job I'm sure, but running the AC compressor whenever the car wants to seems to be a waste of power and gas also. Oh well, I still love the car!
Old 04-22-22, 04:52 PM
velocity12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

But the problem with that solution is that, whenever you want to use the AC, you also need to use the recirculate mode. If you try to switch to the fresh air mode, it will turn off the AC compressor.

Many have found that using the recirculate mode continuously results in stale/musty cabin air. Also, as I explained in a previous post, when you start the car after it has been sitting in the sun on a hot day, it will actually take longer to cool off the cabin in the recirculate mode than it does in the fresh air mode. Thus, the inability to use the fresh air mode with the AC is why many of us have found that this solution is not one that we would choose to use.
I guess I never have noticed any stale or musty smell. As far as the car sitting in the sun, I find that opening the window or the sun roof for a moment removes the hot air quickly avoiding overworking the compressor.
Old 04-23-22, 01:45 AM
Lead Lap

Received 761 Likes on 511 Posts

Yes the ES always had a sub menu to turn off the AC, even with the previous generation. Not so with the GS and RX. It’s right on the main screen.

wmoor004 (04-23-22)
Old 04-24-22, 10:22 AM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

My 2022 ES350 F Sport has a button right on the dash with the AC controls to turn the AC off. I have always been in the habit to turn the AC off before turning the car off so moisture doesn’t build up on the condenser and grow mold. Back in the day this could cause a musty smell in the cabin and once I developed the habit it just stuck.

Old 04-24-22, 04:44 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallas250
My 2022 ES350 F Sport has a button right on the dash with the AC controls to turn the AC off. I have always been in the habit to turn the AC off before turning the car off so moisture doesn’t build up on the condenser and grow mold. Back in the day this could cause a musty smell in the cabin and once I developed the habit it just stuck.

That turns off the fan as well. I believe those moaning about this want a button that turns off the compressor while leaving the fan still circulating air.
Old 04-24-22, 07:08 PM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
That turns off the fan as well. I believe those moaning about this want a button that turns off the compressor while leaving the fan still circulating air.
you’re correct but you can leave the vents in fresh air mode so you get plenty of airflow at highway speed.
mcomer (04-25-22)

Quick Reply: 2019 es A C