ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Mud Flaps / Splash Guards Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-19, 03:03 PM
MSterling
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Mud Flaps / Splash Guards Anyone?

Has anyone on the current model or even previous ones ever installed these? I want to make sure that the existing holes in the body can be used without creating new ones.
I have the ES base model, but I don't know why these would not fit even though they say ES F.

XUKEY Auto Molded Splash Guards for Lexus ES F-Sport 2019 Mud Flaps - Front & Rear 4 Pieces Set
by XUKEY
Learn more:
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-29-19, 03:46 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

I installed mud guards on my 2013 ES 350. The ones available back then fit the front wheel well without any additional modification. IOW the screws all lined up. On the rears you had to drill one hole into the plastic rear quarter panel at the wheel well. All the other holes lined up. No rust issues. Had them on the car for almost 6 years and they provided very good protection for the painted part of the rockers in front, and the rear quarter in the rear. Now fast forward to 2019. Screws are no longer used by Lexus in the wheel wells. The inner liner of the front wheel well is secured by clips that are specific to Toyota. This means pulling the existing clips off and replacing them along with the mud guards. Additionally, the mud guards that I received from Ebay do not have mounting holes that match with the clip holes. Therefore one will have to modify the guards to match the clip holes for mounting. I have the guards since January but it has been too cold to do the measuring and drilling. I also ordered and received a quantity of Lexus clips to use for the mounting procedure. So all is possible but a bit more complicated than for gen 6 cars. IMO mud guards are a very practical accessory that adequately protect your expensive investment.
The following users liked this post:
MSterling (03-29-19)
Old 03-29-19, 03:55 PM
MSterling
Rookie

Originally Posted by bc6152
I installed mud guards on my 2013 ES 350. The ones available back then fit the front wheel well without any additional modification. IOW the screws all lined up. On the rears you had to drill one hole into the plastic rear quarter panel at the wheel well. All the other holes lined up. No rust issues. Had them on the car for almost 6 years and they provided very good protection for the painted part of the rockers in front, and the rear quarter in the rear. Now fast forward to 2019. Screws are no longer used by Lexus in the wheel wells. The inner liner of the front wheel well is secured by clips that are specific to Toyota. This means pulling the existing clips off and replacing them along with the mud guards. Additionally, the mud guards that I received from Ebay do not have mounting holes that match with the clip holes. Therefore one will have to modify the guards to match the clip holes for mounting. I have the guards since January but it has been too cold to do the measuring and drilling. I also ordered and received a quantity of Lexus clips to use for the mounting procedure. So all is possible but a bit more complicated than for gen 6 cars. IMO mud guards are a very practical accessory that adequately protect your expensive investment.
Thanks so much for the background and current situation. This sounds like it may be more complicated than I would have thought. I would be pleased if you could post the part number for the clips, as I assume once they're removed they can't be reused. Do you just pull them them out with a pliers; or is it more difficult. Lastly, I don't mind drilling the mud guards for the correct holes to the car, assuming that the guards align with the body of the car. Can you post the ones on Ebay that you ordered? Do you anticipate mounting yours soon? If so, I would love to see a reply post indicating how the install went and any other complications before I buy and try the install.
I contacted my Lexus dealer and apparently they don't carry mud flaps for the car, which makes no sense to me.

Thanks, Michael
Old 03-29-19, 04:09 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

When I bought my 2013 I asked the Service Manager when mud guards would be available for the car. He replied that mud guards "don't belong on a Lexus". Uh, OK, so I guess no MG from Lexus. Now, 6 years later, no MG. I plan to do the install when warm weather arrives along with the illuminated thresholds accessory that I bought. The key here is to modify the MG - not the car... I'll post an update when possible. Still freezing here in Pennsylvania...
MSterling (03-29-19)
Old 03-29-19, 04:24 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I checked where I bought my MG and it's Xukey. I also looked up where I got the clips. Amazon not Ebay and here's a link...

https://www.amazon.com/50Pcs-Toyota-Plastic-Fastener-Remover/dp/B072MDX94N/ref=asc_df_B072MDX94N/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312632042117&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5789026536889973493&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007206&hvtargid=pla-569734993613&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/50Pcs-Toyota-Plastic-Fastener-Remover/dp/B072MDX94N/ref=asc_df_B072MDX94N/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312632042117&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5789026536889973493&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007206&hvtargid=pla-569734993613&psc=1
MSterling (03-29-19)
Old 03-29-19, 04:34 PM
MSterling
Rookie

Originally Posted by bc6152
I checked where I bought my MG and it's Xukey. I also looked up where I got the clips. Amazon not Ebay and here's a link...

https://www.amazon.com/50Pcs-Toyota-...34993613&psc=1
Thanks. I've bookmarked this for the clips. In my original post, that link is for the Xukey I found on Amazon. On the Xukey web site, I didn't see them.
Old 03-29-19, 04:46 PM
MSterling
Rookie

Originally Posted by MSterling
Thanks. I've bookmarked this for the clips. In my original post, that link is for the Xukey I found on Amazon. On the Xukey web site, I didn't see them.
Here's what I'm seeing in my front and rear wheel wells. Looks like there are two clips and maybe one screw. Not sure if the screw is needed to affix the mud guards or just the clips.
Old 03-30-19, 06:29 AM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Have your local body shop paint them to match your car. Looks so much cooler.
MSterling (03-30-19)
Old 03-30-19, 08:28 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AnthonyMJ
Have your local body shop paint them to match your car. Looks so much cooler.
Nahhh. I like the black contrast...
MSterling (03-30-19)
Old 06-18-19, 05:50 PM
aygriffith
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Just installed the Xukey front and rear splash guards. Took no more than 45 mins and no wheels came off during the process. To make it easy you'll need a socket set and panel popper for the fronts (2 bolts, 1 pressure mounted clip), and a panel popper, drill w/ right angle attachment, and Phillips head bit for the back (3 pressure mounted clips, and adding the included Phillips head screw).

I hated them for about 5 minutes on the first side I did, and by the time time I finished the second side, they blended in easily to the black. This is not the first car I've splash guards on, but it is the first car that they weren't a manufacturer accessories. I hope the plastic doesn't discolor over time because it's cheap Chinese aftermarket plastic. I put them on both my Genesis and Azera before from Hyundai Parts, and on my C-Max from Ford MoCo Parts.

I do wonder if I didn't have a black car if I'd be happy with how far they go up the back wheel well. I know it's partially a design feature to catch the top most pressure clip and because that's about where the bumper starts trailing inward... but it does seem high compared to previous vehicles I've had.

They include 8 screws, you only need 2 of them. The screws are not black at all, they're like an enamel dark swamp green. I'll probably hit them with a flat black touch-up paint so they don't stick out. The screws to require you to drill a hole. I could see where you'd think you need to take the tire off if you didn't have a right angle attachment for your drill. Pro tip: they sell a DeWalt one at Home Depot for $15 (I'm sure Harbor Freight is even less). If you don't use the screw the back guards don't hug the wheel well as tightly due to the large space between the factory pressure clip locations.

Pics for attention:

Car with front and back splash guards

Rear splash guards

Front splash guards

Weird greenish screw included with Xukey kit.
Old 06-18-19, 06:43 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,568 Likes on 1,828 Posts

They look good. I had an Azera as well. Great car.
Old 06-18-19, 06:51 PM
aygriffith
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I had an Azera as well. Great car.
I always tell people I enjoyed my 2013 Azera w/ Tech Pkg almost a little more than my 2016 Genesis AWD w/Tech pkg... The 2019 ES reminds me a lot of my Azera, both in looks, interior size, and how it drives as FWD platform.
Old 06-19-19, 09:17 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,568 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by aygriffith
I always tell people I enjoyed my 2013 Azera w/ Tech Pkg almost a little more than my 2016 Genesis AWD w/Tech pkg... The 2019 ES reminds me a lot of my Azera, both in looks, interior size, and how it drives as FWD platform.
Yes mine was a 2014 with the premium package. Really good car but when I saw the new ES FSport, I had to have one so I traded the Azera.
Old 06-19-19, 01:36 PM
RJLsES
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Just checked out the Weathertech website. Mudflaps not yet ready for 2019 ES models.

Anyone have experience with their 'no-drill' mudflaps?
Old 06-21-19, 10:30 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RJLsES
Just checked out the Weathertech website. Mudflaps not yet ready for 2019 ES models.

Anyone have experience with their 'no-drill' mudflaps?
No, but I would bet that the mud guards look like "no drill mud guards"... To achieve a finished look without the look of after market add-ons, IMO you have to install flaps that are custom molded to the curves of your car. I don't know if Weathertech "no drills" are or aren't... Then how would they be attached without screws or clips... Mine are attached using existing screws and factory clips. They are "No Drill". Looks beautiful and takes about one hour for all four wheels... Had them on my 2013 and now my 2019. No Weathertech for me, mats or mud guards...

Quick Reply: Mud Flaps / Splash Guards Anyone?