ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Oil changes - every 10,000 miles? Even the first??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-23, 11:17 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 516 Likes on 318 Posts

Some of you guys must own stocks in oil companies LOL
The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (10-02-23)
Old 10-02-23, 12:13 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,069 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
Some of you guys must own stocks in oil companies LOL
And Toyota/Lexus.
We all love our Lexus's. My 5 1/2 year old RX with 88,000 miles looks like the day I bought it. There is a saying expression law of diminishing returns. If you want to change your oil every 5, 000 miles go for it. Changing it 2,500 miles might be twice as beneficial. Six Lexus's over one million miles driven and of course no engine problems. My guess is I could have used regular oil not synthetic with the same results and change every 20,000 miles with a top synthetic oil.

Last edited by Freds430; 10-02-23 at 12:23 PM.
LS500Fan (10-02-23)
Old 10-02-23, 12:27 PM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Did 10k oil changes on my 2017. At 225k miles, no problems. I used Pennzoil Platinum and OE Toyota filters. However, after that CarCareNut video about the Camry that had been taken to the dealer for an oil change every 10k and ended up burning oil due to obvious wear once the engine was torn apart, I'm now changing every 5k-7k. Small price to pay to avoid that, and I'm aiming for a minimum of 300k on my 2022.

Thing about piston rings and cylinder liners is that they may be wearing prematurely, but you may not have oil consumption until the oil control rings get worn enough to the point where they no longer provide the sufficient spring tension required to skim the oil off the liners of the cylinder. So for all I knew, my 2017 could start burning oil the day after I sold it. Or it could be fine. Who knows.

I dealt with a car that had internal wear to the point of oil consumption and it was a total pain in the side. I never want to deal with the BS of having to check oil every time I fill up with gas.

Last edited by losiglow; 10-02-23 at 12:32 PM.
E46CT (10-02-23)
Old 10-02-23, 01:33 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

If you remember Toyota history, they went to 10k oil changes once before, than changed them back to 5k (when engine sludge and other issues showed up), and now they are back to 10k. Time will tell, the choice is completely yours when you want to change your oil, your money and your car. If you generally trade in car before 100k, none of it matters

Last edited by tolian21; 10-02-23 at 01:36 PM.
Marc780 (10-24-23)
Old 10-02-23, 02:22 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
There is the proof. I will go by what the manufacturer of my vehicle (Lexus) and oil (Mobil) says which is 10,000 miles.
I have much more confidence in them than anybody on this forum that is giving their opinion.
Yes, proof that you may get away with 10k mile oil changes and never have an issue. The Car Care Nut has presented proof that 10k mile oil changes can kill an engine prematurely. I’m also confident I could go 10k miles, but I change the oil and filter every 5k. It’s cheap insurance. For those who prefer to be “Penny wise- pound foolish,” it’s your car.
Marc780 (10-24-23)
Old 10-02-23, 02:24 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 407 Likes on 274 Posts

> The Car Care Nut has presented proof that 10k mile oil changes can kill an engine prematurely

Proof? I’d like to see that. And ideally withoit having to sit through a half hour video.
LS500Fan (10-02-23)
Old 10-02-23, 02:32 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,069 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by Denzlex
Yes, proof that you may get away with 10k mile oil changes and never have an issue. The Car Care Nut has presented proof that 10k mile oil changes can kill an engine prematurely. I’m also confident I could go 10k miles, but I change the oil and filter every 5k. It’s cheap insurance. For those who prefer to be “Penny wise- pound foolish,” it’s your car.
OMG you are basing this on a self promoting Youtube joke. I will trust the manufacturer of my vehicle and oil.
Old 10-02-23, 02:59 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Well said. Those who oppose the more frequent OCIs cannot turn back time and must vehemently oppose.
The following 3 users liked this post by E46CT:
Denzlex (10-02-23), jgscott (10-03-23), Marc780 (10-24-23)
Old 10-02-23, 03:02 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 516 Likes on 318 Posts

Car Care Nut did not prove anything in that video. First off he did not prove that the car had 10K mile oil changes since new, he didn't show receipts. He injected a lot of *opinion* and anecdote with zero scientific fact in an effort to scare people into more frequent oil changes. It was a lot like a religious sermon LOL
Freds430 (10-03-23)
Old 10-02-23, 04:52 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
Car Care Nut did not prove anything in that video. First off he did not prove that the car had 10K mile oil changes since new, he didn't show receipts. He injected a lot of *opinion* and anecdote with zero scientific fact in an effort to scare people into more frequent oil changes. It was a lot like a religious sermon LOL
I think you’re on to something here. It probably is a scam. He’s might be fabricating the entire thing, simply injecting his opinion from years of professional experience to get some of his customers to change their oil more often. The only people he would benefit from, from “scaring” them into doing more frequent oil changes would be the people who come to his shop. I’m sure an extra hundred or so oil changes a year would be the difference between his shop succeeding or failing 🙄

Last edited by Denzlex; 10-02-23 at 06:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Denzlex:
Marc780 (12-02-23), Wilson2000 (03-05-24)
Old 10-03-23, 08:26 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

To be fair, the Car Care Nut presented one car with a failed engine, and concluded not only that it was due to 10k oil changes, but implied that would be the fate of all cars that had 10k changes. That's about as scientific as taking one car with failed brakes, and saying it was down to factory specified brake fluid changes, and so we should all change it twice as often. I'm sure it's possible to kill an engine prematurely with 10k oil changes, but I'm sure i could also find dead engines that have had 5k oil changes, and so there's probably a variety of factors, including how the car was driven, or otherwise looked after, that might lead to engine failure. Equally, if someone presented a perfectly healthy engine, that had 10k oil changes, that wouldn't be proof of anything either. I bet I can also find cars that have been in accidents with only 50% worn tyres, but people don't change them with half of their life left in them.

So, I'm not saying he's wrong, just that he hasn't proved anything. What would be more useful are stats on a significant number of engine failures, along with their corresponding oil change intervals, and other relevant factors. In the UK, and most of Europe, the norm has traditionally been 12month/10k changes, as cars are serviced annually and, as far as I'm aware, engines aren't dying at an alarmingly higher rate. To be honest, I'd expect any car I own to sufer from things like rust, transmission failure, or accident damage, long before the engine gave out.

Ultimately it's a matter of personal preference/belief. I change transmission fluid, despite it being claimed as not required, as there's enough evidence of transmission failures to warrant it, and I also rust proof my car for similar reasons; but I've yet to see enough evidence to warrant changing things like oil, brake fluid or coolant, over and above the specified requirements. That's just me though.

Either way, in not too many years it'll be academic, as we'll all be driving electric cars, and won't have oil changes to deal with. Instead we can debate the minutiae of different charging regimes in order to get the most life from our batteries.
The following 4 users liked this post by BillUK:
Denzlex (10-03-23), LS500Fan (10-03-23), Marc780 (10-24-23), mike995134 (04-05-24)
Old 10-03-23, 10:26 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 866 Likes on 658 Posts

I think you’re on to something here. It probably is a scam. He’s might be fabricating the entire thing, simply injecting his opinion from years of professional experience to get some of his customers to change their oil more often. The only people he would benefit from, from “scaring” them into doing more frequent oil changes would be the people who come to his shop. I’m sure an extra hundred or so oil changes a year would be the difference between his shop succeeding or failing 🙄

He gets more money with one rebuild than with 150 oil changes.
The following 4 users liked this post by ESh:
Denzlex (10-03-23), Marc780 (10-24-23), scubapr (10-03-23), Wilson2000 (03-05-24)
Old 10-03-23, 02:45 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BillUK
To be fair, the Car Care Nut presented one car with a failed engine, and concluded not only that it was due to 10k oil changes, but implied that would be the fate of all cars that had 10k changes. That's about as scientific as taking one car with failed brakes, and saying it was down to factory specified brake fluid changes, and so we should all change it twice as often. I'm sure it's possible to kill an engine prematurely with 10k oil changes, but I'm sure i could also find dead engines that have had 5k oil changes, and so there's probably a variety of factors, including how the car was driven, or otherwise looked after, that might lead to engine failure. Equally, if someone presented a perfectly healthy engine, that had 10k oil changes, that wouldn't be proof of anything either. I bet I can also find cars that have been in accidents with only 50% worn tyres, but people don't change them with half of their life left in them.

So, I'm not saying he's wrong, just that he hasn't proved anything. What would be more useful are stats on a significant number of engine failures, along with their corresponding oil change intervals, and other relevant factors. In the UK, and most of Europe, the norm has traditionally been 12month/10k changes, as cars are serviced annually and, as far as I'm aware, engines aren't dying at an alarmingly higher rate. To be honest, I'd expect any car I own to sufer from things like rust, transmission failure, or accident damage, long before the engine gave out.

Ultimately it's a matter of personal preference/belief. I change transmission fluid, despite it being claimed as not required, as there's enough evidence of transmission failures to warrant it, and I also rust proof my car for similar reasons; but I've yet to see enough evidence to warrant changing things like oil, brake fluid or coolant, over and above the specified requirements. That's just me though.

Either way, in not too many years it'll be academic, as we'll all be driving electric cars, and won't have oil changes to deal with. Instead we can debate the minutiae of different charging regimes in order to get the most life from our batteries.
I will concede that his video isn’t “proof” the engine failure was caused by 10k mile oil changes, although I do trust trust his judgement/ opinion. Anecdotal evidence such as an engine at 300k with 10k mile oil changes isn’t “proof” of anything either (as you stated). I suspect that many, if not most Toyota /Lexus engines receiving 10k mile oil changes, and otherwise not abused, can reach 300k miles. But surely there would some that develop issues earlier than they would have if more frequent oil changes had been done.

That said, I don’t understand the adamant opposition to more frequent oil changes by some. If there’s a chance, just a chance, that more frequent oil changes can extend the life of our engine, is that not worth an $50, $100, or $200 a year?
The following 3 users liked this post by Denzlex:
BillUK (10-04-23), Marc780 (12-02-23), scubapr (10-03-23)
Old 10-03-23, 04:03 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

I will concede that his video isn’t “proof” the engine failure was caused by 10k mile oil changes, although I do trust trust his judgement/ opinion. Anecdotal evidence such as an engine at 300k with 10k mile oil changes isn’t “proof” of anything either (as you stated). I suspect that many, if not most Toyota /Lexus engines receiving 10k mile oil changes, and otherwise not abused, can reach 300k miles. But surely there would some that develop issues earlier than they would have if more frequent oil changes had been done.

That said, I don’t understand the adamant opposition to more frequent oil changes by some. If there’s a chance, just a chance, that more frequent oil changes can extend the life of our engine, is that not worth an $50, $100, or $200 a year?
Because these people need to justify their decision not to change oil more often. Its obvious to most that there are benefits to more frequent oil changes but does require extra expense. If your goal is to keep car forever or get car to 300k, more frequent oil changes do help with the odds. Is it worth the money, only you can be the judge
Marc780 (10-24-23)
Old 10-03-23, 11:29 PM
Marc780
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tolian21
If you remember Toyota history, they went to 10k oil changes once before, than changed them back to 5k (when engine sludge and other issues showed up), and now they are back to 10k. Time will tell, the choice is completely yours when you want to change your oil, your money and your car. If you generally trade in car before 100k, none of it matters
You're talking about the engines they had the recalls on, the Toyota 1FMZE V6. There were other engines were included in the "sludge engine" service bulletins but I only really know the specifics of my 2002 Camry and 2001 Solara with that engine since mine were effected by that recall.

The problem was excessive sludge forming in these engines due to sub-standard design of the PVC system in affected engines. This was made worse if you followed Toyota's own recommended oil change intervals which at the time, were 7,500 miles/6 months. This was too long and many of the engines became badly sludged up, so bad the sludge affected engine operation and caused engine damage.
So Toyota issued a recall and you were supposed to take your car in to get checked for sludging by the dealers. If the engine was badly sludged they would repair or replace them supposedly.

My Camry and Solara had their oil changed at 3,000 miles ever since I got it in 2005, when it had 66,000 miles. I figured doing that all along kept the engine sludge free, that plus I made the simple expedient of splicing in a clear plastic fuel filter into the PCV hose going to the throttle body. To judge by the teaspoon or so of dirty oil that filter collects every year of driving, I suppose it must be serving its purpose!

Last edited by Marc780; 12-02-23 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil changes - every 10,000 miles? Even the first??