ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Something that annoys you or you love?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 08:20 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I have no intention of minimizing the drivers side wind noise people are talking about, but I’ve wondered if it’s even more annoying because the car is so quiet otherwise.
reporting no wind noise on my 2019ES300H made in Japan
I wonder what’s different?

Philip
Old 03-24-19, 12:07 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,568 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I have none either but I believe mine was built here. FSport non hybrid.
Old 03-24-19, 01:25 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimv1983
There is a thread on here about several people having a lot of wind noise coming from what seems like the driver's window. I'm guessing you don't have this issue? I don't have my ES yet (it's on the boat right now) but I didn't hear it on the two I test drove.
I most definitely Do Not have any strange wind noise, But of course this doesn't help those that do, I hope they can get it sorted. My car is a ES 350 Ultra Luxury and it was built in the USA from what I can tell, All of my Previous ES's were built in Japan.
Old 03-24-19, 03:08 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
I most definitely Do Not have any strange wind noise, But of course this doesn't help those that do, I hope they can get it sorted. My car is a ES 350 Ultra Luxury and it was built in the USA from what I can tell, All of my Previous ES's were built in Japan.
Thanks. I'm just trying to get an idea of how common it seems to be. My car is an ES 300h Ultra Luxury (every option but the triple beam headlights since $1500 seemed high to me for something I really didn't care about). Since it's a hybrid it's built in Japan which I don't understand since my current 2011 Camry hybrid was built at the exact plant the non-hybrid ES is built.

I'll be getting my car around 4/10/2019. Hopefully I don't have the issue.

On an unrelated note what tires came on your ES Ultra Luxury? Bridgestone or Michelin? I've heard the Michelin are better than the Bridgestone.
Old 03-24-19, 03:37 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Originally Posted by jimv1983
Thanks. I'm just trying to get an idea of how common it seems to be. My car is an ES 300h Ultra Luxury (every option but the triple beam headlights since $1500 seemed high to me for something I really didn't care about). Since it's a hybrid it's built in Japan which I don't understand since my current 2011 Camry hybrid was built at the exact plant the non-hybrid ES is built.

I'll be getting my car around 4/10/2019. Hopefully I don't have the issue.

On an unrelated note what tires came on your ES Ultra Luxury? Bridgestone or Michelin? I've heard the Michelin are better than the Bridgestone.
It's funny that you asked about the tires, I was walking away from my ES earlier today and stopped to look at the tires and I have Michelins.
Old 03-24-19, 07:40 PM
Gr8Car4Me
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm another one that can't report experiencing the driver's side wind noise situation. I have a 350 UL. Mine came with Michelin tires.
Old 03-25-19, 06:46 PM
MSterling
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr8Car4Me
I'm another one that can't report experiencing the driver's side wind noise situation. I have a 350 UL. Mine came with Michelin tires.
My 350 base, also has Michelin X - don't know how good they are. But ride is okay.

My tires are inflated to 37. Dealer told me that is normal. But the door says to use 35. Thoughts?
Old 03-25-19, 08:05 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Just had my new ES350UL out on the freeway for the first time today. Speeds up to 85 mph with no wind noise. Car has the noise reducing wheels and is very quiet even over coarse or broken pavement. No squeaks or rattles yet, but only at 250 miles.

Last edited by oldcajun; 03-27-19 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-25-19, 08:12 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Just had my new ES350UL out on the freeway for the first time today. Speeds up to 85 mph with now wind noise. Car has the noise reducing wheels and is very quiet even over coarse or broken pavement. No squeaks or rattles yet, but only at 250 miles.
Do you mean NO wind noise or do you mean you NOW have wind noise after getting up to 85mph?
Old 03-26-19, 08:53 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MSterling
My 350 base, also has Michelin X - don't know how good they are. But ride is okay.

My tires are inflated to 37. Dealer told me that is normal. But the door says to use 35. Thoughts?
I've always had the opinion that Lexus considers the improved gas mileage from higher tire pressure is more important than the resulting increase of tire wear due to over inflation. I may be old school. I understand that today's tires may actually be designed to use higher pressure, but it also makes the ride more harsh, and increases noise IMO. I used to use 32 PSI in the old days, but have raised mine to 35 as recommended. This typically means deflating the tires a bit after a trip to the dealer.

From the Michelin web site:
The vehicle manufacturer selects the size and type of tires for their vehicles. They perform the necessary testing to establish the vehicles’ optimized operating tire inflation pressures which can be found on the vehicle placard (located on the inside of the driver's door) and in the vehicle owners’ manual.

If the tires on your vehicle are the same size as the original equipment tire, inflate them to the pressures indicated on the placard.

Old 03-26-19, 09:01 AM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I've always had the opinion that Lexus considers the improved gas mileage from higher tire pressure is more important than the resulting increase of tire wear due to over inflation. I may be old school. I understand that today's tires may actually be designed to use higher pressure, but it also makes the ride more harsh, and increases noise IMO. I used to use 32 PSI in the old days, but have raised mine to 35 as recommended. This typically means deflating the tires a bit after a trip to the dealer.

From the Michelin web site:
The vehicle manufacturer selects the size and type of tires for their vehicles. They perform the necessary testing to establish the vehicles’ optimized operating tire inflation pressures which can be found on the vehicle placard (located on the inside of the driver's door) and in the vehicle owners’ manual.

If the tires on your vehicle are the same size as the original equipment tire, inflate them to the pressures indicated on the placard.
I find the thing that can get a little confusing is that the placard is there but a lot of us get vehicles with upgraded wheel options.

So, the standard car comes with 17" wheels, I would imagine the placard is for those wheel/Tire combinations

The question then becomes: When we option the vehicle with the 18" noise-reduction or other 18" wheels, do they change the placard to match?
Old 03-26-19, 11:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
I find the thing that can get a little confusing is that the placard is there but a lot of us get vehicles with upgraded wheel options.

So, the standard car comes with 17" wheels, I would imagine the placard is for those wheel/Tire combinations

The question then becomes: When we option the vehicle with the 18" noise-reduction or other 18" wheels, do they change the placard to match?
The placard will show the factory wheel setup, so if yours came with the 18" wheels from the factory, it'll have the updated placard to show the information for the 18" wheels (this is typical). If the dealership swapped them out (less likely), then no, it wouldn't be updated.

For example, the GS comes with standard 18" wheels. Mine is an F Sport, which comes with 19" wheels. My wheel/tire placard on mine shows the info for the 19" wheels.
Old 03-26-19, 03:38 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
The placard will show the factory wheel setup, so if yours came with the 18" wheels from the factory, it'll have the updated placard to show the information for the 18" wheels (this is typical). If the dealership swapped them out (less likely), then no, it wouldn't be updated.

For example, the GS comes with standard 18" wheels. Mine is an F Sport, which comes with 19" wheels. My wheel/tire placard on mine shows the info for the 19" wheels.
Cool, Good to know, thanks!!
Old 03-26-19, 04:30 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
Solution for door is remove plastic flap, get Sandisk Ultra fit flash drive (if you want something on usb) and get 90° usb cable with a low profile. Door closes fine.
Does carplay work with that cable good?

Philip
Old 03-27-19, 08:10 AM
jimv1983
Intermediate

One thing I find really annoying is how the radio presets work. Presets for all sources are merged into a single list instead of being separated by source (AM, FM, XM). On my 2011 Camry each source had its own presets. There were pages of 6 (1 page of 6 for AM, 2 pages of 6 for FM and 3 pages of 6 for XM). I didn't like the pages part but at least they were separated by source. All mixed together makes it take longer to get to the desired preset. It also makes it a lot more work to add a new preset. Very annoying.

Quick Reply: Something that annoys you or you love?