ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Something that annoys you or you love?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 11:58 AM
VeeZee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre Sets Take Up Too Much Space

2016 NX Fsport: in the Satellite Radio Mode, the pre sets take up a lot of space. Any way to minimize them? Also, it is very annoying that the title of artists or song titles are truncated even though there is plenty of space on the screen to accommodate the extra letters.
Old 02-20-19, 12:30 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
After reading through this thread, I was pleased to note how few of the annoyances are mechanical. However, some of the things they don't seem to think about are surprising. I was not aware that the speed of Bluetooth communications might be a reason you need to be actually plugged into the phone for Apple Car Play. That makes a lot of sense, and is nice to know. But to not be able to close the door to hide the cable and phone when it's plugged in seems thoughtless. Why do they put the Qi wireless charger in the console where you can't see the phone when using it? And why do they charge for map updates for the NAV? The maps should update automatically for free. Even Garmin has lifetime updates!. And while I'm on the "Infotainment" cart, Why can't the firmware be updated, so when they have an ingenious update (like the Android version of Car Play), they can simply update the firmware for existing users. Think about Bluetooth and Operating System updates. ESPECIALLY since Lexus is so far behind technology to start with. Tesla has over the air updates for all of their electronics, so we know it can be done.

About the touch pad. I discovered early on (in the NX) that if you turn off the "Haptics" in settings, it's a LOT easier to use.
There's a cable that will allow you to close the door even when connected. See earlier post right in this thread.
The following users liked this post:
MSterling (02-20-19)
Old 02-20-19, 08:18 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wing
Hi all,

I just picked up a 2019 ES350 F-Sport to test, so far it's pretty impressive and a huge leap over the previous gen IMO.

I will be doing a video review of it and just wondering what little quirks annoy you, or something that you really really enjoy about this new model?

I like to review my cars with a viewpoint of a normal person not some wanna be car reviewer (I've been doing this for 11 years now) so I have a lot of experience but hearing from owners is always excellent value add.

Thanks!
1.This bar in the drivers seat highlighted with ultra lux package hurts my butt its a bad design
2.And the way it sounds like a 95 ranger v6
Old 02-25-19, 05:26 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wing
Hi all,

I just picked up a 2019 ES350 F-Sport to test, so far it's pretty impressive and a huge leap over the previous gen IMO.

I will be doing a video review of it and just wondering what little quirks annoy you, or something that you really really enjoy about this new model?

I like to review my cars with a viewpoint of a normal person not some wanna be car reviewer (I've been doing this for 11 years now) so I have a lot of experience but hearing from owners is always excellent value add.

Thanks!
Hi wing,

Purchased on 02/09/2019
2019 Lexus ES350 Ultra Luxury Edition
Exterior: Moonbeam Beige Metallic
Interior: Flaxen semi-aniline leather with Matte Bamboo trim
18-in split-five-spoke alloy noise-reduction wheels* with high-gloss finish

What I love:

Simple things that make a huge difference

1. The windshield wipers are finally smart enough to not get stuck in the up position when you turn off the ignition of the vehicle.

2. The windshield wipers are smart enough to not come on when you remote start the vehicle.

3. The Ride, It’s a lot quieter over the bumps and imperfections in the road.

4. The Kick Sensor for the Trunk is Great and even more Amazing is that it also will close the trunk…Priceless.

5. The Triple Beam Headlights look incredible, that was a must for me.

6. The Heads Up Display, I simply love it, I wanted it, but didn’t realize I would love it this much.

7. l Love how smooth the turn signal lever is, makes the car feel very luxurious.

8. The Gear shifter is soooo smooth, again, it gives that luxurious feeling to the vehicle.

9. The Gear shift ***/Handle. I know it was taken from another model but it feels really nice.

10. The interior door handles, again taken from the LS and others, but darn it’s nice feeling.

11. The solid Lexus signature Daytime Running light Check Mark/Strip is a huge improvement.

12. The icing on the cake for me is the Automatic Concierge mode in the climate control, it automatically adjust the heated seats and heated steering wheel based on the temperature you set, it is absolutely incredible.

13. I love the much larger view through the Panoramic Roof.

14. Something I was crying about forever, The ES finally has an electrically operated shade for the Panoramic Roof.

15. I love the fact that the car will notify me on my Apple Watch if I left the doors unlooked, I have a bad habit of doing that.

What I don't like:

1. The fact that the USB’s have been moved to the front and to use them you have to have the compartment open, I hate that, this is a Luxury Vehicle. The should have kept that junk in the Center Arm Rest compartment where you can hide it away.

What I'm Neutral on:
The only thing I’m not sure about is the Apple CarPlay, I just don’t see the big deal, The 12.3” Screen with Navigation and Mark Levinson is to me much better than the CarPlay interface so, the jury is still out on this one for me. Maybe some can explain why I should love this feature?

Last edited by imz14u2nv; 02-26-19 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Typo
The following 2 users liked this post by imz14u2nv:
dhschneide (02-26-19), User 41924 (02-26-19)
Old 02-25-19, 06:09 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
Hi wing,

Purchased on 02/09/2019
2019 Lexus ES350 Ultra Luxury Edition
Exterior: Moonbeam Beige Metallic
Interior: Flaxen semi-aniline leather with Matte Bamboo trim
18-in split-five-spoke alloy noise-reduction wheels* with high-gloss finish

What I love:

Simple things that make a huge difference

1. The windshield wipers are finally smart enough to not get stuck in the up position when you turn off the ignition of the vehicle.

2. The windshield wipers are smart enough to not come on when you remote start the vehicle.

3. The Ride, It’s a lot quieter over the bumps and imperfections in the road.

4. The Kick Sensor for the Trunk is Great and even more Amazing is that it also will close the trunk…Priceless.

5. The Triple Beam Headlights look incredible, that was a must for me.

6. The Heads Up Display, I simply love it, I wanted it, but didn’t realize I would love it this much.

7. l Love how smooth the turn signal lever is, makes the car feel very luxurious.

8. The Gear shifter is soooo smooth, again, it gives that luxurious feeling to the vehicle.

9. The Gear shift ***/Handle. I know it was taken from another model but it feels really nice.

10. The interior door handles, again taken from the LS and others, but darn it’s nice feeling.

11. The solid Lexus signature Daytime Running light Check Mark/Strip is a huge improvement.

12. The icing on the cake for me is the Automatic Concierge mode in the climate control, it automatically adjust the heated seats and heated steering wheel based on the temperature you set, it is absolutely incredible.

13. I love the much larger view through the Panoramic Roof.

14. Something I was cry about forever, The ES finally has an electrically operated shade for the Panoramic Roof.

15. I love the fact that the car will notify me on my Apple Watch if I left the doors unlooked, I have a bad habit of doing that.

What I don't like:

1. The fact that the USB’s have been moved to the front and to use them you have to have the compartment open, I hate that, this is a Luxury Vehicle. The should have kept that junk in the Center Arm Rest compartment where you can hide it away.

What I'm Neutral on:
The only thing I’m not sure about is the Apple CarPlay, I just don’t see the big deal, The 12.3” Screen with Navigation and Mark Levinson is to me much better than the CarPlay interface so, the jury is still out on this one for me. Maybe some can explain why I should love this feature?
I just couldn't justify the triple beam headlights. Yeah, they looked kind of cool but I don't spend much time looking at the headlights. If they were $500 I might have gotten them but for $1500? No thanks.

I did like the panoramic roof but for some stupid reason it isn't available on the hybrid.

I'm kind of mixed on the port locations. I think cords would get in the way no matter where they were.

I agree with all the rest.
Old 02-25-19, 06:52 PM
Steve300h
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jimv1983
I just couldn't justify the triple beam headlights. Yeah, they looked kind of cool but I don't spend much time looking at the headlights. If they were $500 I might have gotten them but for $1500? No thanks.

I did like the panoramic roof but for some stupid reason it isn't available on the hybrid.
The reason is weight. They market the 300h as the most fuel efficient vehicle in it's class. The extra weight would hurt mileage.

So yeah, it's a stupid reason but at least we know what the reason they give is.
Old 02-25-19, 07:02 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve300h
The reason is weight. They market the 300h as the most fuel efficient vehicle in it's class. The extra weight would hurt mileage.

So yeah, it's a stupid reason but at least we know what the reason they give is.
​​​​​​​I can't imagine the panoramic roof adding any extra weight. If anything I would expect it to weigh less. It's less metal and less headliner. I know glass can be a little bit heavy but with the offset of the weight of the other materials I don't think it would make much difference.
Old 02-26-19, 06:27 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

The panoramic glass adds about 200 pounds to the overall weight of the car. It's much heavier than the normal sheet metal roof. In essence you have the weight of one extra person always riding with you.
Old 02-26-19, 06:35 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve300h

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
The panoramic glass adds about 200 pounds to the overall weight of the car. It's much heavier than the normal sheet metal roof. In essence you have the weight of one extra person always riding with you.
I believe that both of the above are correct.

I had a 2013 ES with the standard roof, and I now have a 2017 ES with the full glass pano roof. My fuel efficiency with the 2017 ES has consistently been about 1 mpg lower than it was with the 2013 ES. I'm confident in guessing that the difference is the result of two factors. First, the 2017 has a larger array of safety features that are constantly requiring some small amount of energy to function, and the other factor is that the all glass roof does weigh significantly more than the sheet metal that would be on a car with the standard roof.
Old 02-26-19, 08:01 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

My lovely wife doesn't like the seats. We almost bought an FSport because the seats were noticeably more comfortable. But so far, that's the only negative I've come up with.

I suppose I wish it had power folding outside mirrors (wing mirrors for my friends in the UK). There must be a reason, but I don't get it. I use them all the time when I have the RX. Great in parking lots.

This may well be the first Lexus I've had that has almost current technology. That they typically seem to be 2 to 3 years behind everyone else technology-wise has been a pet peave of mine for years.

Some of the things they do are really interesting. The 2 level cup holder in the center console, for example. Look at the engineering they've used to make that work, not to mention the cost to build it. For a cup holder! And the weird little space on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Not very useful, but it really nicely done. I figured it's someplace you can put stuff that you don't care if you ever see again. You'll forget to clean it out when you sell the car, and the next owner will find all your lost treasures in there. Assuming they can find it while exploring their new car. I'd be interested to know who didn't know it was there. How about a console cover that opens to the side because it's more convenient than tilting up from the front? It opens from either side!

This car reminds me of why we bought our first Lexus. The attention to detail on the inside is fantastic! Everything you touch has a quality feel to it. The door panels, the arm rests, even the door openers feel really nice to the touch. The top of the dash is very nice. Even the front of the dash (the glove compartment) is padded!

It's just nice inside AND out. This is what I expect from Lexus
Old 03-02-19, 06:09 AM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The one thing that I do think is Bonkers is that the Mark Levinson System is a very expensive High End Audio System and Lexus should be very proud of it, But if this is supposed to the the best Audio System, then why do they limit the File formats to ACC, MP3 and Wave off of the USB? Most Audiophiles would really only consider Wave from that selection (Of course Wave files are really large), Why would they not support FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, DSD, MQA, the formats that most Audio Buff would prefer?
Old 03-02-19, 07:02 AM
Truly55
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
Solution for door is remove plastic flap, get Sandisk Ultra fit flash drive (if you want something on usb) and get 90° usb cable with a low profile. Door closes fine.

Hi, do you have a picture with the cable inserted and the door closed? I’d like to see where the cable comes out. Also, do you know if the cable is compatible with iPhone?

Kind regards

Truly55
Old 03-02-19, 01:58 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Truly55

Hi, do you have a picture with the cable inserted and the door closed? I’d like to see where the cable comes out. Also, do you know if the cable is compatible with iPhone?

Kind regards
Truly55

Yes, it's compatible with my XR and all the rest. When I'm connected, the phone is upright in the cradle, so the door is open. The cable can slide under the door, closest to the shift, but my primary reason for finding the 90° usb was so I can keep the cable connected, remove the phone and close the lid.
Old 03-02-19, 04:28 PM
jhansen31
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Truly55

Kind regards

Truly55
I have tried 2 different 90 degree adapters and each still prevents the door from closing .
From your picture it looks like this one works. Can you tell us where you got it or the make and model number of the cable please?
Old 03-02-19, 04:33 PM
jhansen31
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I too find the only issue with my 2019 ES350 is that the seat has that bar that somehow or another hits my butt in the wrong way and over time becomes uncomfortable. I have tried various seat covers and padding but to no avail. I have not tried the FSport seat but was wondering if that seat could be swapped into the ES350? Probably a lot more work and cost than it is worth but who knows? Anyone every swap seats or perhaps have a recommendation for a good padded seat cover?

Quick Reply: Something that annoys you or you love?