ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

December To Remember

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-18, 12:39 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts
Default December To Remember

New offers out there now but nothing to write home about.
Old 11-05-18, 04:28 AM
wmogolov
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm surprised that they're not offering better incentives. I understand that many of the Lexus models are in a sales downtrend right now so one would think that they'd want to stir up some business. When I bought my 2019 in September, I received a Lexus Loyalty incentive of $750 (plus a very fair dealer discount). Now they're starting to promote the much touted December To Remember event with a Lexus Loyalty Incentive of $500 (in my area). That $250 difference may not be much in the scheme of things but its more the principle of it. I'm glad I bought when I did.

Last edited by wmogolov; 11-05-18 at 04:32 AM.
Old 11-05-18, 06:42 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by wmogolov
I'm surprised that they're not offering better incentives. I understand that many of the Lexus models are in a sales downtrend right now so one would think that they'd want to stir up some business. When I bought my 2019 in September, I received a Lexus Loyalty incentive of $750 (plus a very fair dealer discount). Now they're starting to promote the much touted December To Remember event with a Lexus Loyalty Incentive of $500 (in my area). That $250 difference may not be much in the scheme of things but its more the principle of it. I'm glad I bought when I did.
Typically, the December to Remember has large rebates and other incentives available for the outgoing model year, but the incentives for the incoming model year are usually quite modest. In checking the Lexus site for other models, I see that there are more significant rebates (around $2500) available for 2018 models, but the rebates for 2019 cars are, as expected, quite modest.

For the ES, with the 2019 ES being the first year for the Generation 7 ES, I would have been quite surprised if there had been a significant rebate available for the December to Remember promotion. And that is especially true because dealers have, for the most part, almost completely rid themselves of 2018 ES inventories. So, if you want to buy an ES now, the 2019 model is, for all practical purposes, the only choice.

Typically, the biggest incentives for current model year Lexus vehicles come during the summer Golden Opportunity promotion.
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (04-25-20)
Old 11-05-18, 07:47 AM
billm555
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's interesting and I agree that the summer promotion will most likely get you a better price.. If you wait until the Golden Opportunity promotion during the summer, even if you get a decent dealer discount and factory incentive, the car will have depreciated during the 7 months that it sat unsold and you will "own" that depreciation the minute you drive it off the dealer's lot. That depreciation will offset your discounts to some extent. I think Lexus "gets you" coming or going.

Last edited by billm555; 11-05-18 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-05-18, 07:57 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by billm555
If you wait until the Golden Opportunity promotion during the summer, even if you get a decent dealer discount and factory incentive, the car will have depreciated during the 7 months that it sat unsold and you will "own" that depreciation the minute you drive it off the dealer's lot. That depreciation will offset your discounts to some extent. I think Lexus "gets you" coming or going.
That is absolutely correct.

I bought my 2017 ES right at the beginning of the 2017 model year. I figure that, if I had waited until the summer, I could have bought the car for about $3000 less than what I paid for it in November, 2016. But, during the time between November, 2016, and July, 2017, the value of the 2013 ES that I traded in had dropped by virtually the same $3000. Thus, I had no regrets about buying at the beginning of the model year because my net cost was about the same as if I had waited 8 or 9 months, and I got to drive the new car for an additional 8 or 9 months longer than if I had waited until the summer to buy.
Old 11-05-18, 08:23 AM
billm555
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lesz
That is absolutely correct.

I bought my 2017 ES right at the beginning of the 2017 model year. I figure that, if I had waited until the summer, I could have bought the car for about $3000 less than what I paid for it in November, 2016. But, during the time between November, 2016, and July, 2017, the value of the 2013 ES that I traded in had dropped by virtually the same $3000. Thus, I had no regrets about buying at the beginning of the model year because my net cost was about the same as if I had waited 8 or 9 months, and I got to drive the new car for an additional 8 or 9 months longer than if I had waited until the summer to buy.
You make another very good point that some people overlook....."and I got to drive the new car for an additional 8 or 9 months longer than if I had waited until the summer to buy"....You only live once. Why not enjoy life while you can?
Old 11-05-18, 01:08 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I think I will make an offer on the last day of the year and see how eager they will be to move inventory.
Old 11-05-18, 02:23 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 795 Likes on 688 Posts

This is usually the best time to buy new or used cars, most of the car lot sales are down at these holiday times. Mid January, prices usually shoot up because car lots are stocking up on inventory for the up coming tax season. Feb and Mar are the highest!
Old 11-06-18, 05:28 PM
CashGap
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

That's interesting and I agree that the summer promotion will most likely get you a better price.. If you wait until the Golden Opportunity promotion during the summer, even if you get a decent dealer discount and factory incentive, the car will have depreciated during the 7 months that it sat unsold and you will "own" that depreciation the minute you drive it off the dealer's lot. That depreciation will offset your discounts to some extent. I think Lexus "gets you" coming or going.
Another way of saying... Lexus discounts are responsive to market realities.

Whodda thunk!
Old 11-06-18, 05:43 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Hard to say it sat unsold when they are manufacturing new units throughout the period. You're just closer to the next model year and that's the real hit of depreciation.
Old 11-07-18, 01:01 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I'm seeing more aggressive discounting now advertised on the dealer website. Inventory must be moving slow.
Old 11-07-18, 03:43 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

I just got a price on an Ultra Lux with the following:
$47,269 plus tax and tags and minus any rebates at time of delivery. Ultra Luxury Package - Semi aniline leather , 14 way adjustable front seats , power rear sunshade,

power open / close trunk with kick sensor

Navigation / Mark Levinson stereo

Blind spot monitor with rear cross traffic alert , intuitive park assist with auto braking ,

rear pedestrian detection and panoramic monitor. heated steering wheel, heated and ventilated seats, lateral dampers, rain sensing wipers.

No triple LED's, 18" wheels or pano sun roof...
Old 11-07-18, 05:20 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
I just got a price on an Ultra Lux with the following:
$47,269 plus tax and tags and minus any rebates at time of delivery. Ultra Luxury Package - Semi aniline leather , 14 way adjustable front seats , power rear sunshade,

power open / close trunk with kick sensor

Navigation / Mark Levinson stereo

Blind spot monitor with rear cross traffic alert , intuitive park assist with auto braking ,

rear pedestrian detection and panoramic monitor. heated steering wheel, heated and ventilated seats, lateral dampers, rain sensing wipers.

No triple LED's, 18" wheels or pano sun roof...
Roughly what % off msrp is that and does it include any current incentives?
Old 11-07-18, 06:15 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

About 6% - same as another quote I got. Does include $1k off... Not so great IMO... Holding out as I'm in no rush...
Old 11-08-18, 06:01 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
About 6% - same as another quote I got. Does include $1k off... Not so great IMO... Holding out as I'm in no rush...
I'm seeing around 9% off MSRP including incentives based on a conversation with the dealer I just had. FSport if that makes a difference.

Quick Reply: December To Remember