ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 10:15 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

That front is not a huge departure from the current. That said, I really like the vertical grill slats. Lexus is getting better at the inserts. As the Spindle becomes more ingrained, it's becoming more organic.
Old 04-11-18, 10:16 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Name 1 please except being cheaper to make.
I’m not really agreeing with what the poster says, I’m certainly not a fan at all of FWD vehicles or FWD bias AWD vehicles, but there are a couple benefits to owning FWD. mind you I personally don’t find these attributes benefits in my personal car collection nor do I own a FWD vehicle. Although I wouldn’t mind picking up a new Volvo V90 Cross Country for the family.

1. Better in snowy inclement weather conditions (when using traditional all season tires.) compared to RWD car with same tire.

2. Packaging is much better with FWD type vehicles compared to RWD.

Can’t think of any other reasons why someone would want to buy a FWD vehicle. But for some people these are big deals believe it or not.

Old 04-11-18, 10:17 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Better fuel economy, more passenger room/no tunnel intrusion, easier to package, less drivetrain loss, better traction, no real need for awd/better all weather drivability. RWD has its advantages too but FWD has more advantages then just being cheaper to make.
FWD has nothing to do with fuel economy.
There are packaging benefits with FWD I agree.
RWD with snow tires will have better traction then FWD and much easier and more predictable to control if there is an emergency maneuver necessary. Modern traction control systems work very well on RWD cars. I live in NY and have driven RWD cars since 2001 without any issue all year round.
One of the magazines did review between FWD vs RWD vs AWD in the snow on same tires and FWD had the worst results in driveability.
Old 04-11-18, 10:27 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That front is not a huge departure from the current. That said, I really like the vertical grill slats. Lexus is getting better at the inserts. As the Spindle becomes more ingrained, it's becoming more organic.
Agreed. I said this earlier. The front-end is definitely not a huge departure from the current design. Its basically a more "evolved" design, if you will. The headlamps, grill, and bumper just got more sharper rather than a dramatically different change.

RWD with snow tires will have better traction then FWD and much easier and more predictable to control if there is an emergency maneuver necessary. Modern traction control systems work very well on RWD cars. I live in NY and have driven RWD cars since 2001 without any issue all year round.
One of the magazines did review between FWD vs RWD vs AWD in the snow on same tires and FWD had the worst results in driveability.
FWD has better fuel economy because it doesn't take a bigger drive shaft tunnel to feed powers to the rear wheels. Mechanically speaking - it provides better MPG.
Well - one can say FWD with snow tires will have better traction than RWD with snow tires. Actually - I disagree. FWD is much more predictable than RWD.

Look I'm not a fan of FWD too but cars with FWD make good DD cars. You can't deny this fact. And majority of the consumer base doesn't really care for FWD vs RWD vs AWD. This is just enthusiasts talk.
Old 04-11-18, 10:28 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

I knew you would bring this argument and that’s why I specified traditional all season tires equipped on both vehicles will put the FWD vehicle in lead of the RWD vehicle. With dedicated snow tires absolutely your RWD car will out perform a FWD car or even a AWD car with regular all season tires.
Old 04-11-18, 11:17 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I was hoping for a more intricate design like the LS but will wait for final judgement. The vertical slats just seems like too easy of a solution.
Old 04-11-18, 11:22 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6

I knew you would bring this argument and that’s why I specified traditional all season tires equipped on both vehicles will put the FWD vehicle in lead of the RWD vehicle. With dedicated snow tires absolutely your RWD car will out perform a FWD car or even a AWD car with regular all season tires.
Let's not derail this thread with FWD vs RWD vs AWD vs 4WD. People will want what they want. It is what it is.

Back on topic. The current gen was first leaked and introduced at the Beijin auto show as well. That said, I like the look more than the current gen and I wouldnt mind if they bring the design over from the Chinese market. They demand and love luxury items so I would imagine the interior quality can be amazing to woo rich buyers. Imagine if Toyota had brought over the Camry from the Chinese market where it is considered a luxury car, nobody will complain about having cheap interiors in the previous gens.
Old 04-11-18, 11:45 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by situman
Let's not derail this thread with FWD vs RWD vs AWD vs 4WD. People will want what they want. It is what it is.

Back on topic. The current gen was first leaked and introduced at the Beijin auto show as well. That said, I like the look more than the current gen and I wouldnt mind if they bring the design over from the Chinese market. They demand and love luxury items so I would imagine the interior quality can be amazing to woo rich buyers. Imagine if Toyota had brought over the Camry from the Chinese market where it is considered a luxury car, nobody will complain about having cheap interiors in the previous gens.
Agreed. Lets get back on topic.

I do actually like this new Lexus ES over the current generation. While the design isn't too far off the current model, the sharper headlights, bumper and grill looks good.

The Chinese market is a different type of consumer market than the American market. In the Chinese market - Buick and Audi are their "top-tier" brands. While, no matter how good Buick has gotten, America's perception of Buick is still an old-man's car. That being said - I think the American market will still complain about the Camry because simply its a "Camry". I'm guilty of this too. One of the things keeping me from buying a Lexus ES is the fact that its a reskin Camry. I also wish they still make the ES in Japan rather than the USA. Don't get me wrong - I love American quality and support it. Its just that an American-made import just doesn't feel like an import to me. Same goes for other brands.
Old 04-11-18, 12:37 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BippuLexus

I do actually like this new Lexus ES over the current generation. While the design isn't too far off the current model, the sharper headlights, bumper and grill looks good.

The Chinese market is a different type of consumer market than the American market. In the Chinese market - Buick and Audi are their "top-tier" brands. While, no matter how good Buick has gotten, America's perception of Buick is still an old-man's car. That being said - I think the American market will still complain about the Camry because simply its a "Camry". I'm guilty of this too. One of the things keeping me from buying a Lexus ES is the fact that its a reskin Camry. I also wish they still make the ES in Japan rather than the USA. Don't get me wrong - I love American quality and support it. Its just that an American-made import just doesn't feel like an import to me. Same goes for other brands.
TOYOTA see’s it differently, they are always being criticized as being a huge import brand that’s taking jobs from American workers and they want to be viewed as more of domestic brand in the opinion of the general pubic. When the TMMK plant that builds the CAMRY expanded to build the ES350 they sent 60 workers to Japan to learn how to build the ES to the Japanese standard that Toyota expects Lexus to be made to. I agree with what you saying imports should remain true imports dogma, but like you mentioned the ES main competition (XTS, Lacrosse, TLX, 300C, Impala) is American made cars and the Americans consumer majority want to support cars made by Americans workers.

Last edited by highrev6; 04-11-18 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-11-18, 12:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 355F1
Any idea why they would choose Beijing over a US-based auto show?

Americans will probably b**ch too much over the larger spindle grille LOL.
Old 04-11-18, 12:51 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I was hoping for a more intricate design like the LS but will wait for final judgement. The vertical slats just seems like too easy of a solution.
I kind of agree. My point was more that the Spindle inserts are becoming better in their implementation. Last time they had the vertical slats iirc (and currently) is the non F-Sport RC, which has half vertical, a bar, and honeycomb below. Whether it's an F-Sport Zig Zag, diamond hash, hexagon, honeycomb, it's improving.
Old 04-11-18, 01:00 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by highrev6
TOYOTA see’s it differently, they are always being criticized as being a huge import brand that’s taking jobs from American workers and they want to be viewed as more of domestic brand in the opinion of the general pubic. When the TMMK plant that builds the CAMRY expanded to build the ES350 they sent 60 workers to Japan to learn how to build the ES to the Japanese standard that Toyota expects Lexus to be made to. I agree with what you saying imports should remain true imports dogma, but like you mentioned the ES main competition (XTS, Lacrosse, TLX, 300C, Impala) is American made cars and the Americans consumer majority want to support cars made by Americans workers.
Nice points. Its true what you said. +1 That is exactly how Toyota are #1 in sales with in America - selling insane amounts of RAV4s, Corollas and Carmys.
However - I was more directing it towards Lexus. Imported Luxury vehicles should stay true to its import status quo. The perception of the vehicle feels less luxurious if your vehicle isn't made from the country origin despite costing well over 40K. One thing that triggers me about the 3 Series is that the parts are 60-65% German with it being made in either Mexico or South Africa. That's a bit hard to stomach when you are blowing well into the 50 grand range for a BMW.

But question: how do you feel about the Lexus ES, personally? I still can't shake the fact that its a reskinned Camry. ><
Old 04-11-18, 01:03 PM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The current ES is no longer based on rhe Camry but Avalon. I hope they also jump to a GA platform designed for this segment.
Old 04-11-18, 01:18 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Nice points. Its true what you said. +1

One thing that triggers me about the 3 Series is that the parts are 60-65% German with it being made in either Mexico or South Africa.

But question: how do you feel about the Lexus ES, personally? I still can't shake the fact that its a reskinned Camry. ><
I think you already know how I feel about the ES, it makes financial since to keep the ES around, but it also hurts the GS sales. I really like my 4GS want to buy the 5GS when it debuts. GM does the same exact thing with XTS and Impala.

Its a reskinned Camry, I don’t have a problem with the ES being around as long as it doesn’t impede on the next gen Lexus GS.

Let the cash cow selling grandpa car make money that goes towards developing the best GS ever, A athletic Japanese Samurai.

I’m just a little confused to how big they are going to allow the ES to grow, I know it’s not competitive with the LS, but the interior passenger volume seem like it will more than likely surpass the 2018 LS500 on paper.

My question to you is do you think Lexus will ask the chief engineer and his team to develop a even longer LS500L to further separate the ES, GS and LS?

Old 04-11-18, 01:26 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Nice points. Its true what you said. +1 That is exactly how Toyota are #1 in sales with in America - selling insane amounts of RAV4s, Corollas and Carmys.
However - I was more directing it towards Lexus. Imported Luxury vehicles should stay true to its import status quo. The perception of the vehicle feels less luxurious if your vehicle isn't made from the country origin despite costing well over 40K. One thing that triggers me about the 3 Series is that the parts are 60-65% German with it being made in either Mexico or South Africa. That's a bit hard to stomach when you are blowing well into the 50 grand range for a BMW.

Originally Posted by asoksevil

The current ES is no longer based on rhe Camry but Avalon. I hope they also jump to a GA platform designed for this segment.
lets not start splitting hairs all over here again, the Camry, Avalon and ES are all built from the same platform in the same assembly plant. The Avalon is no more than a Camry with a slightly longer wheelbase and slightly wider width dimensions. The Camry and Avalon have so much is common it’s not even funny any more. When Toyota switched the ES from the Camry wheelbase to the Avalon wheelbase in ‘13 I was not happy about that as it made the 6ES truly a much larger car than the 4GS.

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow