ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus Dealer vs Collision Shop Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 10:21 AM
kxaz145
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus Dealer vs Collision Shop Repair

I damaged my ES-350 left front in a wreck last week and have USAA insurance. They directed me to an appraiser who also does repairs. My inclination is to take it to the dealer for repairs, but it's not as convenient as the collision shop. If I instruct the shop to only utilize OEM parts is there a downside?

JimB
Old 02-20-18, 02:23 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I'd call the Lexus dealer and ask where they get body work done. If it's in house, let them do it.

States have different insurance laws, but in mine, you get to choose where the work is done. Not the insurance company. They will "push" you to believe you have to use "their" companies, but ultimately you decide.

Someone rear ended me and the insurance company directed me to go to a place that was like an Maaco or Earl Scheib. Called the dealer and had the company they use do it and the insurance company had to pay.

Insurance companies are usually all about cutting corners.
Old 02-20-18, 03:39 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

You can take your car anywhere you desire. If you know of a high quality body shop, take it there. Insurance companies establish deals with various body shops to save costs and will steer you to one of their contractors. You're not obligated to use their body shop. Check your state laws as far as shops being able to use aftermarket parts which, frequently, do not fit as well as OEM body parts. You would see wider gaps on the hood and rear quarters for example.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-21-18, 11:31 AM
kxaz145
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Collision Repair Update

It was correctly stated that in Texas the insurance companied can't dictate where to get a vehicle repaired or which parts are used for the repair. However, I called the Lexus dealership where I purchased the car and spoke to their collision shop. I asked if they would submit a new appraisal using OEM parts and they said I would be required to pay any increases out of pocket. All things considered I think I will go with the original shop because it is more convenient to my home. Supposedly the repair will take about 5 days. Thanks for your comments!

JimB
Old 02-22-18, 02:13 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by kxaz145
It was correctly stated that in Texas the insurance companied can't dictate where to get a vehicle repaired or which parts are used for the repair. However, I called the Lexus dealership where I purchased the car and spoke to their collision shop. I asked if they would submit a new appraisal using OEM parts and they said I would be required to pay any increases out of pocket.
JimB
Jim... first, sorry to hear about your accident.. I'm sort of familiar with what you're dealing with now as I had a 'minor" front end wreck a little over a year ago.. Fortunately for me I have a good friend who owns a body shop and I trust him without question. When he wrote the estimate to fix my car he included all OEM parts... Insurance company balked and said no because the price of one oem part in particular was way way way over the cost of an after market part.. He called me and told me it might be a good idea for me to call and talk to the adjuster, which I did.. She pointed out that somewhere in the policy once a car is a certain age or has so many miles, they can use after market parts... She then told me that if I wanted oem parts I could certainly have the body shop install them but that I would be charged for everything "over" the cost of the after market part... well I guess I just flat out got lucky.. After a "friendly" debate she contacted her boss and called me back later that day and said they would pay for the oem parts... The point being that if you want oem parts, you can certainly have them, but in a lot of cases you'll be charged out of pocket..It really just depends on your insurance company and in some cases who the adjuster is.. Best of luck to you with the repair.. I hope the shop you use takes care of you.

Roland

Last edited by Poppa; 02-22-18 at 02:16 AM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
kxaz145 (02-22-18)
Old 02-22-18, 10:16 AM
kxaz145
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate your comments, Roland