Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hit and run accident on my leased lexus

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-16, 05:16 PM
tasue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hit and run accident on my leased lexus

Well some truck hit my car but someone was able to write down the license number for me so it will be a no fault accident. Anyway i have a question about the repair. Should i take it to the lexus dealership i leased it from and ask them what shop they recommend or should i go with another shop that my insurance insist on? I would think the dealership have a vested interest in the repair job since it is a lease with 2 years left. Do you think the lexus dealership will do a better job since it is leased?
Old 02-21-16, 05:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Can you find a Lexus dealer that can complete the work at their dealer while at the same time they can deal with the insurance company?
Old 02-21-16, 05:32 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tasue
Well some truck hit my car but someone was able to write down the license number for me so it will be a no fault accident. Anyway i have a question about the repair. Should i take it to the lexus dealership i leased it from and ask them what shop they recommend or should i go with another shop that my insurance insist on? I would think the dealership have a vested interest in the repair job since it is a lease with 2 years left. Do you think the lexus dealership will do a better job since it is leased?
Your insurance co will have their own list of body shops, but top insurers usually allow you to bring it to your own shop too. One benefit of your insurer's recommended shop is that you never have to deal with payment, other than your deductible--your insurer pays the shop directly. If you use your own shop, your insurer may have to cut you a check, so you can pay the shop.

Check with your Lexus dealer; then check with your insurer--the Lexus shop may be on your insurer's approved list already.
Old 02-21-16, 08:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

The Lexus dealer doesn't have a vested interest in your leased car. Leasing is just a form of financing, the dealer sold the car to TFS/LFS, got paid and they're out of it.

You can have your car repaired anywhere. i would choose a shop based on referrals and recommendations vs it being affiliated with any Lexus dealer.
Old 02-22-16, 07:38 AM
tasue
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The Lexus dealer doesn't have a vested interest in your leased car. Leasing is just a form of financing, the dealer sold the car to TFS/LFS, got paid and they're out of it.

You can have your car repaired anywhere. i would choose a shop based on referrals and recommendations vs it being affiliated with any Lexus dealer.

there is a certified lexus repair center near me, thompson collision. I would think since they are lexus certified, they would do the best in repairing my lexus, right? anyone have any experience with the certified lexus collision repair centers?
Old 02-22-16, 08:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

there is a certified lexus repair center near me, thompson collision. I would think since they are lexus certified, they would do the best in repairing my lexus, right? anyone have any experience with the certified lexus collision repair centers?
I wouldn't assume that at all. I would find the best body shop you can in your area, get referrals from friends who have good cars, read reviews, look at the shops, etc. It being a "certified Lexus shop" is meaningless IMHO. Plenty of horror stories here from "certified Lexus shops".

Dealer bodyshops have a built in source of business. Independent shops have to rely on their reputation and referrals for their business...I'd rather go independent.
Old 02-22-16, 08:43 AM
tasue
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I wouldn't assume that at all. I would find the best body shop you can in your area, get referrals from friends who have good cars, read reviews, look at the shops, etc. It being a "certified Lexus shop" is meaningless IMHO. Plenty of horror stories here from "certified Lexus shops".

Dealer bodyshops have a built in source of business. Independent shops have to rely on their reputation and referrals for their business...I'd rather go independent.

I live in philadelphia and there's a million autobody shop, most with really mixed reviews. Also living in the city, most of their clients car aren't luxury. my damage is also pretty extensive too. The whole driver side front needs to be repair and repainted in ultrasonic blue; hood, fender, bumper, door, wheels, axles. Im just having a hard time finding a good autobody shop that deal with luxury and exotics around philadelphia. There's barely any reviews on these exotic shops that i saw. I will keep looking but do anyone recommend a shop around philadelphia?
Old 02-22-16, 08:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

I guarantee you that Thompson Collision repairs all makes and models, not just Lexus, BMW and Toyota that they sell. And if you have a decent insurance company, I'd bet they are an approved shop. Would they do "best"? Not necessarily.
Old 02-22-16, 09:13 AM
tasue
Driver School Candidate

http://www.boggsauto.com/index.html

i came across this shop that have been in business for over 40 years. There's barely any reviews on them though but i seen a couple of people recommended them on another forum. Plus they use only oem parts. ANybody seen any glaring issues if i was to use this facility?

Last edited by tasue; 02-22-16 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-22-16, 09:20 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.boggsauto.com/index.html

i came across this shop that have been in business for over 40 years. There's barely any reviews on them though but i seen a couple of people recommended them on another forum. Plus they use only oem parts. ANybody seen any glaring issues if i was to use this facility?
Except that you said you were near Thompson, and these guys are in Gloucester County NJ. You should be able to find a good shop closer than an hour from where you are.
Old 02-22-16, 09:26 AM
tasue
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tex2670
Except that you said you were near Thompson, and these guys are in Gloucester County NJ. You should be able to find a good shop closer than an hour from where you are.
im 30 miles from thompson and 16 miles from the other shop. Right now im leaning towards the other shop but im still searching. Reviews for autobody shops are rare and mixed apparently
Old 02-22-16, 01:55 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in philadelphia and there's a million autobody shop, most with really mixed reviews. Also living in the city, most of their clients car aren't luxury. my damage is also pretty extensive too. The whole driver side front needs to be repair and repainted in ultrasonic blue; hood, fender, bumper, door, wheels, axles. Im just having a hard time finding a good autobody shop that deal with luxury and exotics around philadelphia. There's barely any reviews on these exotic shops that i saw. I will keep looking but do anyone recommend a shop around philadelphia?
FWIW, I once had the opportunity to use Service King and I was very pleased. They color matched and faded the Glacier Silver metallic color so well on my 5 year old Mazda6 that I could not tell.
Old 02-22-16, 02:11 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

im 30 miles from thompson and 16 miles from the other shop. Right now im leaning towards the other shop but im still searching. Reviews for autobody shops are rare and mixed apparently
That seems to me to be pretty far to have to go, in either direction, to find a body shop--especially since you aren't going to one based on a personal recommendation or relationship. I'd think you can find a good to great shop within a 5 mile radius of pretty much anywhere in the Philly Metro Area. Most places guaranty their work, and if you need to go back for some adjustment, that's a PITA to have to go that far. Again, I'd see if your insurance company has a list of approved shops.
Old 02-22-16, 03:10 PM
tasue
Driver School Candidate

I checked out the service king near me and their reviews are horrible so i scratch that off. Also I couldn't find a list of approved shops from my insurance company, progressive. I check every damn link on their webpage. I dont know if its public or what but i cant find it. ALl i find are their service centers. After researching all day, I have picked a bodyshop thats only 8 miles away from me. its called Cavallo Auto Body and from what i researched from this forum and others, this place is really good. It looks like they deal with mostly luxury vehicles and i havent seen a negative review yet. I called them up and the receptionist handled every questions i asked her quickly. I will head out tomorrow and check out the location before i get them to tow my car over there.
Old 02-22-16, 03:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There ya go! Hope it works out.