ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Using blue tooth for calls and screen lock.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-17, 03:58 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Using blue tooth for calls and screen lock.

I have an Android phone. I've had the same phone for a few years.

When I start a call using the blue tooth menu from the car, can I have my screen on my phone locked so I don't pocket push buttons like turning off blue tooth or disconnecting?

While I've had the same phone and car for a few years, this seems to be an issue in recent weeks only. I don't want to change the screen lock time as I like the 3 minute setting.
Old 09-08-17, 06:38 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

This is purely a phone function and has nothing to do with the car. Sure you can go to the phone settings and choose to lock the screen by a password, pin or finger print. You also have to choose that the screen locks out immediately when the power key is pushed and the screen goes out. So you can keep the 3 minute period for the screen to stay on but if you push the power button the screen goes out and the phone locks.
Old 09-09-17, 07:35 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Your phone screen does not turn on when placing, or answering a call through the car's phone menu.
Old 09-09-17, 10:40 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by GES
This is purely a phone function and has nothing to do with the car. Sure you can go to the phone settings and choose to lock the screen by a password, pin or finger print. You also have to choose that the screen locks out immediately when the power key is pushed and the screen goes out. So you can keep the 3 minute period for the screen to stay on but if you push the power button the screen goes out and the phone locks.
I am using the finger print password.

I also have the option set where when you push the power key, the screen locks. That's in the "Secured Lock Time" option under the "Lock Screen" menu. I have both that, and the 3 minute screen timeout under the "Display" menu.

Originally Posted by Mike728
Your phone screen does not turn on when placing, or answering a call through the car's phone menu.
I just tried this right now (with my car stopped). I put my phone on the passenger seat so I could see it.

As soon as I hit the call button from the car's bluetooth menu to start the call, my phone's screen went on and showed the "Dialing" screen.

This is what I'm trying to avoid.

Again, I don't know how I was placing or receiving calls differently over the past few years, but in recent weeks I've had issues where because the phone screen turned on, my pocket would hit the disconnect button, or deactivate blue tooth.

I kept the phone in my pocket the past few years when using the car's phone menu, so I don't know what's been different now.
Old 09-09-17, 11:45 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

So, you're saying your screen turns on when the phone is locked? Did you ever set the car's Bluetooth as a "trusted Bluetooth" device? That would be the only way I could think of that would allow the screen to come up without a pass-code/fingerprint unlock.
Old 09-09-17, 12:12 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

So, you're saying your screen turns on when the phone is locked? Did you ever set the car's Bluetooth as a "trusted Bluetooth" device? That would be the only way I could think of that would allow the screen to come up without a pass-code/fingerprint unlock.
Thanks for the advice.

I just checked my Smart Lock settings.

https://www.howtogeek.com/202881/use...at-home-again/

I had on-body detection off. I had Trusted Places Off. And I had Trusted Devices (like my car's blue tooth) off.

I read that enabling them would keep the phone unlocked if it was a trusted device, or if on-body detection was enabled, or if it was a trusted place.

Still, I wanted to see what would happen if I enabled Trusted Devices and added my car's blue tooth. It didn't solve my issue.

I tried enabling the on-body detection too, and that didn't solve my issue either.

Do you have an Android phone too, and have a car with a similar phone/navigation system? What happens when you place a call from your car? Does your phone stay locked?
Old 09-09-17, 12:28 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

I have a Moto Z2, currently. I've had at least 5 different Android phones since I bought my ES. None of them have unlocked when a call was either placed, or answered.
Old 09-09-17, 12:34 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

I have a Moto Z2, currently. I've had at least 5 different Android phones since I bought my ES. None of them have unlocked when a call was either placed, or answered.
Thanks. I might call both Lexus and Samsung this weekend to see if I can get any tips.

It seems like more of a phone issue, but since it involves using my car's bluetooth, that's why I'll try Lexus too. Plus sometimes those Lexus technology representatives have some good ideas too.
Old 09-09-17, 12:42 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

This thread seems to describe my issue. But I don't think there's a resolution.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...hone-call.html
Old 09-09-17, 05:46 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Thanks for the advice.

I just checked my Smart Lock settings.

https://www.howtogeek.com/202881/use...at-home-again/

I had on-body detection off. I had Trusted Places Off. And I had Trusted Devices (like my car's blue tooth) off.

I read that enabling them would keep the phone unlocked if it was a trusted device, or if on-body detection was enabled, or if it was a trusted place.

Still, I wanted to see what would happen if I enabled Trusted Devices and added my car's blue tooth. It didn't solve my issue.

I tried enabling the on-body detection too, and that didn't solve my issue either.

Do you have an Android phone too, and have a car with a similar phone/navigation system? What happens when you place a call from your car? Does your phone stay locked?
I see what you are describing. I have Samsung S7 and it does the same thing. When I place a call using the car phone menu the phone screen automatically unlocks. I tried to play with the phone settings but nothing fixed that. I never had your problem because I don't keep my phone in my pocket. I have a vent mount that I put the phone in because I use android auto sometimes. I think this is a phone issue though. There should be an option where you can choose to keep the screen locked when you place a phone call from the car menu.
Old 09-09-17, 06:02 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by GES
I see what you are describing. I have Samsung S7 and it does the same thing. When I place a call using the car phone menu the phone screen automatically unlocks. I tried to play with the phone settings but nothing fixed that. I never had your problem because I don't keep my phone in my pocket. I have a vent mount that I put the phone in because I use android auto sometimes. I think this is a phone issue though. There should be an option where you can choose to keep the screen locked when you place a phone call from the car menu.
Thanks for looking into this issue, and checking the settings.

I'm also trying to figure out why I never seemed to encounter this problem prior to about 3 weeks ago. I've had the same phone for 2+ years, and have received and placed calls several times during that span. Sometimes a 10-15 min call too. The phone is always in my pocket.

Last edited by nuraman00; 09-09-17 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-10-17, 05:01 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Maybe a recent software update pushed to your phone is the cause?