2014 es 350 W/ 102k miles maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-17, 10:48 AM
cmat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 es 350 W/ 102k miles maintenance

Hi Everyone,

I just bought my first (used) Lexus. It's a 2014 ES 350 with 102K (presumably all highway miles in Montana) with most options (ultra luxury, premium packages, BSM, new 18" wheels etc) for $17,500 + 11% Tax/other and with service records showing regular service by the Lexus dealer every 5-8K miles while it was on a lease (attached if you want to see details).

How do you think this compares to other used vehicles that you may have seen? My rationale for buying was that it looked brand new, was $10K cheaper than the same model with lower (~30K) miles and is something that I could keep for another 6-10 years or sell in a few years at 130K with <$10K in depreciation.

Additionally, for something like this, what should the minimal amount of work I should be doing to make sure this lasts till 200K at 15K miles/yr? The dealer who last serviced it said that I may need to at some point replace the rear brakes, spark plugs and do a coolant flush and brake fluid change. The only concerning thing in the service records was a vibration issue that came up a few times (but isn't an issue currently)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Service Records - A.pdf (452.5 KB, 160 views)
Old 09-07-17, 11:35 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Congrats! I just bought a 2013 ES 350 with 66k myself. Looking at the service you attached I would just continue to maintain it. Some may disagree, but my plan is to change the Tranny fluid w/ Lexus brand/type for car asap. Not Flush just a drain and refill, the next 3 oil changes. Then a drain and refill every other or 3 oil changes. May not need but just something I do.

I am also going to pull and look at the coolant sending temperature sensor, that sends the ecu air fuel and other info. On Lex/Toy's I have seen them dirty or gooped up, and sometimes on older or higher mileage car, changing it really helps it give a better signal for efficiency and performance to the ecu. I am not 100% sure about the 6th Gen ES350 tho. I need to do some checking and research, as things may have changed.

How about some pics of the car? Color?
Old 09-07-17, 05:09 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have mostly done my own maintenance on cars (not on ES 350 since that is a new car to me). But here is what I would have done if it was my own car at 100K:
1. Definitely flush coolant, transmission oil (drain and fill in fine). Scott: 66K miles for transmission fluid drain and fill is also okay but not entirely necessary. I follow 100K miles or 6 years (both time and miles cause fluid breakdown). This experience comes from BMW 3 series, which uses ZF transmission fluid and they have data on 100K miles / 6 years breakdown of tranny in performance cars (this does not imply the cars were taken to a track, but it is breakdown from regular use from engine heat and time).
2. Change spark plugs
3. Clean Mass Airflow sensor: junk collects on it over time. Very easy to do but requires careful handling
4. Change upstream oxygen sensors (i.e. before the catalytic converter). No need to change the downstream oxygen sensors (after catalytic converter) since they mostly see exhaust that has been cleaned by the cat
5. Power steering fluid: only check to see if you have black particles floating in it. If yes, change. Just a turkey baster method is fine for a couple of times: meaning open, draw fluid as much as you can and add fresh fluid and repeat 2-3 times with driving in between.

Besides brake fluid flush, I would leave everything else alone.
Old 09-07-17, 10:15 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by DanZ
I have mostly done my own maintenance on cars (not on ES 350 since that is a new car to me). But here is what I would have done if it was my own car at 100K:
1. Definitely flush coolant, transmission oil (drain and fill in fine). Scott: 66K miles for transmission fluid drain and fill is also okay but not entirely necessary. I follow 100K miles or 6 years (both time and miles cause fluid breakdown). This experience comes from BMW 3 series, which uses ZF transmission fluid and they have data on 100K miles / 6 years breakdown of tranny in performance cars (this does not imply the cars were taken to a track, but it is breakdown from regular use from engine heat and time).
2. Change spark plugs
3. Clean Mass Airflow sensor: junk collects on it over time. Very easy to do but requires careful handling
4. Change upstream oxygen sensors (i.e. before the catalytic converter). No need to change the downstream oxygen sensors (after catalytic converter) since they mostly see exhaust that has been cleaned by the cat
5. Power steering fluid: only check to see if you have black particles floating in it. If yes, change. Just a turkey baster method is fine for a couple of times: meaning open, draw fluid as much as you can and add fresh fluid and repeat 2-3 times with driving in between.

Service History he linked PDF shows on: 99531 MILES DATE: 04/08/2017. Brake Fluid was Flushed and replaced, and Coolant was Flushed and Replaced.
Old 09-08-17, 07:36 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DanZ
2. Change spark plugs

The OP will definitely not need to do #5 as his 2014 ES has electric steering.
Old 09-08-17, 12:44 PM
cmat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to club all this with the first oil change due in another 2K miles.
As requested, pictures are here : https://photos.app.goo.gl/wfhSc4opxu5bzCr03

My previous car was a top of the line 2003 Camry XLE V6 that I bought at 100K miles in 2010 (for $9K and am in the process of selling for $3K) and it worked great for 5 years (with mostly just oil changes) before starting to give issues. I'm hoping for a similar experience with this car as well.