ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

What to use to clean head liner.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-17, 08:06 AM
Swishbro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What to use to clean head liner.

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but my ES 350 has a few black marks on the headliner and I'm wondering what to use to clean that material without causing the color to change. My interior is a very light gray (seats and headliner).

I remember when I owned a VW Passat and had it in a local shop for an oil change, the mechanic grabbed the drive side A pillar and left very greasy finger prints on it. I didn't notice it until I was home and was pretty furious, so I drove back to the shop to show them. The manager comes out with brake cleaner and gets rid of the marks in seconds! You couldn't tell there was anything there and it didn't harm the fabric.

That headliner material was pretty much the same texture and color that is on my ES, so I'm wondering if that is safe to use?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Swishbro
Old 07-31-17, 09:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I would start with a damp cloth. That's always worked for me. If there is some grease on it, I'll use a bit of Dawn dish soap with the water.
Old 07-31-17, 11:05 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I agree with JDR76, go slow starting with water and then a little soapy water. WD40, brake cleaner, carburetor cleaner etc. may work sometimes and then the next time you use it the finish might wipe right off. And I am speaking from some painful personal experiences.

Dave Mac
Old 07-31-17, 11:55 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

You'll get a lot of replies for a lot of different products. I was having a problem with blue jean dye transfer onto my Parchment leather seats and asked for a solution on this forum.

It was suggested to try Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel. I bought a bottle online and never looked back. Removes grease from vinyl and leather, dye from leather, dirt from carpets,
fingerprints from sun visors, and on and on. No surface I have cleaned has ever been damaged.

The first thing to do is as the others have stated. Always take the easiest and most noninvasive way first then go on to stronger products if not successful. Dawn dish detergent is a great product for vehicle interiors.

GOOD LUCK!
The following users liked this post:
jollick (07-31-17)
Old 07-31-17, 07:28 PM
Swishbro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I saw your post about the stuff!

Originally Posted by bc6152
You'll get a lot of replies for a lot of different products. I was having a problem with blue jean dye transfer onto my Parchment leather seats and asked for a solution on this forum.

It was suggested to try Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel. I bought a bottle online and never looked back. Removes grease from vinyl and leather, dye from leather, dirt from carpets,
fingerprints from sun visors, and on and on. No surface I have cleaned has ever been damaged.

The first thing to do is as the others have stated. Always take the easiest and most noninvasive way first then go on to stronger products if not successful. Dawn dish detergent is a great product for vehicle interiors.

GOOD LUCK!
I was going to also ask what to use for cleaning the seats before seeing that, so I'm going to order some. I was concerned about using MeGuiar's leather cleaner that I've been using for years because I never had perforated seats before this. I believe the MeGuiar's will clog up those perforations.

I also heard that Mr. Clean Magic Erasers could also come in very handy, and that came from a guy who does auto detailing.
Old 08-01-17, 04:55 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 679 Likes on 505 Posts

There's also a detailing forum on this site with lots of helpful people. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/

This is usually where the mods would direct you, but they don't seem to be active on this forum, as of late.
Old 09-09-17, 06:48 AM
Xgolfx
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Zaino products on my es350 '96,and '07 . I just bought a 2015 black on black es350. No matter what product u use, u need to clay bar the vehicle, even if new. Start with removing the old wax with a wash using Dawn dish pan soap.claybar the car, including glass. Go to Internet for proper product. Sal Zaino will talk to u about his polymer.
Old 09-09-17, 07:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
There's also a detailing forum on this site with lots of helpful people. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/

This is usually where the mods would direct you, but they don't seem to be active on this forum, as of late.
I wonder if that's because the conversation is usually more civil and mature on this forum vs. some others?
Old 09-13-17, 04:45 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 679 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I wonder if that's because the conversation is usually more civil and mature on this forum vs. some others?
Maybe, but they're in here enough to be offended by pic's of the ES and lock that thread.