ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

LED Low Beam died due to condensation in headlight; Any help / idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-20, 03:16 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default LED Low Beam died due to condensation in headlight; Any help / idea?

My passenger headlight on a 2016 Lexus ES Luxury with (what I believe) is a Bi LED headlight got cracked (from collision) and formed condensation.

I repaired it once but like an idiot I also tried separating it and likely screwed up the seal.

Later condensation developed again and I left it like that for almost a year and lots of water accumulated in there (which I just poured it out after removal). The LED Low beam headlight started blinking out and now its out all the time.

Simultaneously I got a warning - "Headlight System Malfunction".

Can anyone who had a similar situation point the way to the problem? It is definitely a Bi LED headlight (Both low and high beam is LED). The High beam and everything else is working, though I did notice the strip of daytime running LED's were blinking on and off at one time, but not during removal of the headlight.

I am hoping it is not a circuit board in there. I think one of them costs $550.

I am about to open this sucker up now.. Appreciate any help or info.

Old 01-04-20, 07:43 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,239 Likes on 870 Posts

I'd look for a replacement at a junkyard. Should be a fair amount available by now...
The following users liked this post:
Eslader (01-04-20)
Old 01-04-20, 01:08 PM
Eslader
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Yep. Headlight assemblies are best bought at salvage yards because they're insanely expensive when bought new.
Old 01-06-20, 03:39 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't even consider buying an entire headlight assembly from the junkyard. A discount parts dealer online sells it for over $1200. The local dealer sells it for much more. Junkyards would prob sell it for over $500 at least. Just my guess..

Anyway I opened up the headlight and I found out that salt and water somehow got in there. (My fault for compromising the seal from a past repair).

The water level got so high in the headlight to submerge the LED light control computers. There are two identical LED light control computers, one for the low beam and one for the high beam. The high beam unit turned out to be OK even though it was found covered in salt residue. The low beam unit on the other hand turned out to be fried. The legs coming off the connector on the PC board carried so much current that they fried like a fuse wire. I cleaned them both in water w a toothbrush and allowed them to dry on low temperature in the oven at 240 degrees. I moved the High beam module to the low beam side (since they are identical) and installed the headlight. Woohoo! The lowbeam LED came to life as did the motor for the adaptive lowbeam headlight. Also the system warning - "Headlight System Malfunction" went away.

The LED light control computer for this headlight (Toyota part number 85967-12010) costs over $550 from an online dealer and prob even more at a local Lexus dealer. Anyway I found it for $60 on Ebay. When I get it, I will button it back up and seal it up properly. I found a company, Morimoto which sells the rubber to properly seal it and clamps to apply pressure during the seal.

Anyone interested in how to remove the headlight and open it up as well as seal it can refer to my old post:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...or-repair.html

Below are some pictures from the repair:

Headlight opened w the two LED computer modules.

LED Light Control Computer (Toyota part number 85967-12010)

Closeup of LED Light Control Computer with salt

LED Light Control Computer cleaned up. Red circle indicates burnt legs coming off the connector.

For the curious, this is what the LED on the Low beam looks like.

Close up of the LED on the Low beam.

Hope this helps anyone attempting the same thing. If you have any specific questions you can PM me. Good luck!
Old 01-06-20, 03:44 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

Its amazing how much light that little LED puts out!
Old 01-06-20, 07:17 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Nice write-up, but why didn't you just it replaced when it was hit and have insurance pay for it?
The following users liked this post:
PatAz (01-08-20)
Old 01-06-20, 09:05 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mike728
Nice write-up, but why didn't you just it replaced when it was hit and have insurance pay for it?
a) It was my fault, b) I do not have full coverage because I use it professionally as a Livery vehicle / Limousine and it costs a fortune. I already pay almost $4000 a year for liability insurance only.