2013 ES350 engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-19, 09:53 PM
Cargrub
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 2013 ES350 engine noise

Hi all,
Hoping I could get some insight on a newly discovered engine noise. It's a sporadic clunking/scraping sort of sound. Let me know if more videos would help.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
trim2.mov (4.53 MB, 524 views)
File Type: mov
trim.mov (4.20 MB, 231 views)
Old 05-31-19, 10:29 PM
tarm
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Your speaking about that metal tapping sound. Like a lifter tick sound? Sorry but it needs to be a longer video and start back and walk to engine and then around it up close to where the sound seems to be focused. Just do a youtube video and link to it.

Does the sound change cold versus warmed up? In gear vs Park? What about change when you increase rpms or load on the engine? Does it increase with engine rpm? Theres a few tings that can cause tapping clicking like that. Injectors, and valve train are the usual culprits.

How many miles on the engine? Have you owned it since new? Has the oil been changed religiously and with only syn oil?

It could be an issue with the variable timing solenoids. Toyota 3.5s have had issues with this over the yrs. The other possibility is the hydraulic lifters. If you do a youtube search on the 3.5L you should find some other videos showing it and see if it sounds like yours does.

If it does end up being the VTS I would find a good local mech to do the replacement as Lexus would kill you on cost. I thought Toyota ironed out those issues by 2010. They really had an issue with the earlier 3.5s with the variable timing control solenoids. I know lots of 08s that had the issue and you could even pinch off the vacuum hose to the front bank on and hear the sound go away. Usually you could find sporadic oil change intervals and more with those using dino oil. One thing syn oils do better seems to be in keeping thte valve train and tiny passages clean. I know they had a couple TSBs on the issue over the yrs but those again I thought were all buttoned up by 2010.
Old 05-31-19, 10:57 PM
Cargrub
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick response tarm! I bought the car used with 86k miles and a pristine service record (@dealership) with syn oil changes. Changed the oil with mobil1 syn 0w20 at 90k. Car currently at 92k. Only started noticing the noise within the last 1k miles.

The sound is present at cold start up and when warmed up in idle. I haven't checked if it changes with different rpms.

I've posted the full video on youtube, not sure if it'll help. It's most audible at 0:01, and 0:06, the noise behind the regular engine noise.

If there a way to identify whether it is the VTS?
Old 06-01-19, 12:58 AM
tarm
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok that was much better!!. OK so the ticking does sound like the injectors. What you are speaking of is that sort of deeper clunk noise you hear a couple times but its not regular like tick tick tick tick tick tick tick. But more like tick tick tick tick tick clunk tic tic tic tic tic clunk. Is that correct? Its the clunk noise you are speaking of?

I take you that you have no CEL light on. Have you checked with a scanner for any soft codes? Might do that just to see. Great there was regular OCI and quality oil was/is used.

It could still be the VTS but its hard to tell not being in front of the engine. It could be something totally unrelated as well. Its hard enough to diagnose sounds in front of an engine let alone over the net. LOL I would suggest taking it up to a local mech and just see what he thinks. He should just be able to walk out and hear it which most guys are willing to do if you approach them nicely about it. I would also ask on one of the larger toyota forums as there are much more likely to be mechanics and owner that do their own engine work and may know exactly what that is. I tend to wonder if its something clicking on and off as part of engine control just not sure what.

Sorry I can not be more immediate help. I do hope its not something major and an easy fix. It certainly is very low miles to have a large issue even more so given the way it was maintained.

BTW do you know if it just started or did you just happen to notice it but it could have always been doing this?
Old 06-03-19, 05:55 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

>Ok that was much better!!.

Video seems to have disappeared so I can't comment on the sound. But my suggestion is to try to better identify where the noise is coming from. Is it regular enough to go looking for it? If it is, try to determine if it is coming from the top of the engine or somewhere else. Take a long handle screw drive and touch the tip to the engine in various places. Put your ear to the end of the handle and listen. The sounds will be more distinct and will let you try to locate things.

Better yet, do you have a, or can borrow, a stethoscope. Let you ear be your guide.

Cheers
===================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe
Old 06-04-19, 04:51 PM
Cargrub
Driver School Candidate

@tarm Yup, the clunking in between the ticks. No CEL. Just scanned, no codes. Could have been ongoing, but just noticed within the past 1k miles. Thanks for the advice and effort! I'll try posting Toyota forum for more insight. Hope it's not major.

@pab12 I'll try the screwdriver trick this weekend and get back to you!
Here is the video on youtube if you want to take a look.
Old 06-05-19, 04:51 PM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

A 2-3 foot section of garden hose also works very well for locating engine noises. Hold one end near you ear while probing around with the other end.
The following users liked this post:
Mike728 (06-05-19)
Old 06-18-19, 12:55 PM
Cargrub
Driver School Candidate

Update: took car into local mechanic and he said it's the water pump after listening for 3 seconds. He quoted me $761 for parts and labor. Is this a fair price?
Old 06-19-19, 07:44 AM
Tmac713
5th Gear

I had mines go out at 70k, it is a known issue with the water pump. I replaced mines DIY with the help of guide I found on here and a video I found on youtube. You can get an Aisin which is the same manufacture as the OEMI Toyota water pump for about $80 or OEM for $140
Old 06-19-19, 11:59 AM
Cargrub
Driver School Candidate

Default Water pump

I’m typically a DIG guy, but messing with the belts and tensioning puts me off. Thanks for info though! Found another mechanic who is replacing it for $580 tomorrow. Will update after.
Old 07-08-19, 11:46 AM
Cargrub
Driver School Candidate

Replaced water pump, sound is now gone. Thanks for all the input!
The following users liked this post:
jollick (07-09-19)