ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

DIY - 6ES - GROM VLite/VLine Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 04:21 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by tarm
Also did you not say that tech Carplay was still beta and not officially released yet? If so my hope would be they will iron those out so its a very good idea for you to report the issues soon.

Your info has me very interested in this as but not for carplay as I am a google pixel and general android user. But things like spotify I have used for yrs and frankly was surprised it was not part of lexus apps. Also to have the in motion lockout turned off for everything will be huge. Also WAZE on the screen will be nice if I choose to.
Yep, that's correct - it's not officially release, and they're undergoing certification from Apple for Carplay. I agree, I'm sure they'll work out the kinks! I still think it's worth the investment and there are plenty of pros to it! If you wanted Android Auto, the Vline VL2 supports that officially - it was recently certified by Google.
Old 07-08-19, 05:12 PM
MrWills
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does GROM recommend placing the unit in the glovebox?
Old 07-08-19, 06:18 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrWills
Does GROM recommend placing the unit in the glovebox?
Yes, as there isn't enough space to mount this behind the stereo.
Old 06-23-20, 11:52 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

thanks for this posting and helping me with the link to find this post

i am wondering since the last update you have posted here as of July of last year
has there been a update to the carplay so its not beta version yet or is it still in beta version ?
are there any factory features that you lost such as Track Up and down i saw you sad you tired it out and it worked is it still working ?
is volume working good and mode still working ?
does it change the way the phone is or do you still hook up the Phone BT to the car and not the Vlight Grom ?
or is everything going to be working off the Grom and nothing works off the car whenit comes to anything phone related ?

im still a bit confused between the two i thought the Vline was apple car play and Vlight was not apple car play am i wrong on the way i thought i understood that
where Vline is Appl car play and Vlight just mirrors the phone to the system ? or is that totally wrong ?
Old 06-24-20, 10:10 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Yes, as there isn't enough space to mount this behind the stereo.

when using the carplay feature does it work exactly like it would in the model that come with carplay option ? what i mean is like i notice in loaners and rentals that have carplay that after i schrol through a specific number of songs it wont allow me to scroll any further and says use voice does this system allow you to scroll through more or is that all just up to what apple allows ?
Old 06-24-20, 05:06 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
thanks for this posting and helping me with the link to find this post

i am wondering since the last update you have posted here as of July of last year
has there been a update to the carplay so its not beta version yet or is it still in beta version ?
are there any factory features that you lost such as Track Up and down i saw you sad you tired it out and it worked is it still working ?
is volume working good and mode still working ?
does it change the way the phone is or do you still hook up the Phone BT to the car and not the Vlight Grom ?
or is everything going to be working off the Grom and nothing works off the car whenit comes to anything phone related ?

im still a bit confused between the two i thought the Vline was apple car play and Vlight was not apple car play am i wrong on the way i thought i understood that
where Vline is Appl car play and Vlight just mirrors the phone to the system ? or is that totally wrong ?
Originally Posted by ThumperPup
when using the carplay feature does it work exactly like it would in the model that come with carplay option ? what i mean is like i notice in loaners and rentals that have carplay that after i schrol through a specific number of songs it wont allow me to scroll any further and says use voice does this system allow you to scroll through more or is that all just up to what apple allows ?
No major updates to report. CarPlay still works well by and large. GROM does occasionally break things with software updates but they are pretty responsive. CarPlay is still considered Beta I believe.

All factory features still work such as switching tracks, etc. along with steering wheel controls.

I only take calls through the cars BT, because the carplay call quality isn't great (not just specific to GROM, but even on other factory carplays I've experienced).

VLine and VLite both have Apple CarPlay, but I don't believe it's advertised for the VLite because it's in Beta and not officially certified.
The following users liked this post:
Ber (12-07-22)