ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

DIY - 6ES - GROM VLite/VLine Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-19, 07:08 AM
jberger
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

GREAT POST!
Thanks for the time and effort invested to document the process, looking forward to seeing the video.
The following users liked this post:
hypervish (04-28-19)
Old 04-28-19, 05:00 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

It's been a day since I've installed the GROM and I've driven about 300 miles with it installed. So far, so good! It's surprisingly snappy (compared to the VLine v1 in my 07'). I'm super glad they were able to integrate the OEM microphone into the GROM as opposed to having to install an external one (which again, I had to do in my 07'). I'm even able to play YouTube videos on it using the Web Browser for any passengers, etc.

Here is the overview video of the GROM VLite as promised: https://youtu.be/KB-9TIvqF6E

Happy to answer any questions! Will keep everyone updated as I use it some more!
DavidNYY (04-29-19)
Old 04-29-19, 05:57 AM
ALL4SPL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The website suggests that Track Control for music is lost from the steering wheel is this correct?
Old 04-29-19, 06:48 AM
DavidNYY
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hypervish
It's been a day since I've installed the GROM and I've driven about 300 miles with it installed. So far, so good! It's surprisingly snappy (compared to the VLine v1 in my 07'). I'm super glad they were able to integrate the OEM microphone into the GROM as opposed to having to install an external one (which again, I had to do in my 07'). I'm even able to play YouTube videos on it using the Web Browser for any passengers, etc.

Here is the overview video of the GROM VLite as promised: https://youtu.be/KB-9TIvqF6E

Happy to answer any questions! Will keep everyone updated as I use it some more!
How well does it handle Apple CarPlay, and will the system default back to the GROM when you start the car or do you have to go over and select AUX every time? Would love to see a video of how CarPlay works.
Old 04-29-19, 07:37 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

woah, you are a brave man. way too many steps to remove stock radio.

just looked at the module, dang this thing is $400????
Old 04-29-19, 03:08 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ALL4SPL
The website suggests that Track Control for music is lost from the steering wheel is this correct?
I just tested it out on my way home, and the steering wheel buttons seem to all work fine; including the track control.
Old 04-29-19, 03:11 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DavidNYY
How well does it handle Apple CarPlay, and will the system default back to the GROM when you start the car or do you have to go over and select AUX every time? Would love to see a video of how CarPlay works.
So the CarPlay is still in beta and from what I understand they are still undergoing certification for it; likely why it isn't shown on the page for the VLite itself. It works perfectly though so far in my experience. Far smoother than the CarPlay in my 07' with the VLine v1. As long as you change the NAV settings to not automatically switch back to the Map, the system will stay in AUX (i.e. GROM mode). For example, right now if I go and power on my car; it'll automatically go to GROM. And the moment I plug in my iPhone, CarPlay launched (that's also setting) so it's pretty seamless. The CarPlay is the primary reason I bought this! I need to get my hands on a second phone to film, but once I do; I can make a video!
DavidNYY (04-29-19)
Old 04-30-19, 06:12 AM
jberger
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Please continue to update your thread after living with the install for a while.

I'm really tempted to do this for Carplay, but I spend a ton of time in the car and taking conference calls from the car. Really interested in your experiences with that aspect of it day to day.

How is the camera integration for things like the backup camera?
Old 04-30-19, 11:11 AM
DavidNYY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jberger
I'm really tempted to do this for Carplay
Same here, I really miss CarPlay with my ES.
Old 04-30-19, 03:05 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jberger
Please continue to update your thread after living with the install for a while.

I'm really tempted to do this for Carplay, but I spend a ton of time in the car and taking conference calls from the car. Really interested in your experiences with that aspect of it day to day.

How is the camera integration for things like the backup camera?
Will do! Phone calls are just as good as stock, which I'm super happy about. In my 07' I had to add an external microphone that GROM provided but the call quality is not as good. But with this setup, they were able to use the integrated microphone and calls seem to work perfectly. Currently if I get a phone call while in CarPlay, I'll get the typical OEM Call Pop-Up - once accepted, the screen automatically goes back to Carplay but then shows the Carplay phone call screen instead. (I'll try to capture this in a video as well so it makes more sense)

Stock backup camera works perfectly! It automatically switches to that the moment the car is put into Reverse regardless of what is on the display at the time.
Old 05-01-19, 04:38 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Question, where did you stash the unit?
Old 05-01-19, 04:43 AM
DavidNYY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlexNY
Question, where did you stash the unit?
His original post says it's in the glovebox.
Old 05-01-19, 03:07 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly, I put it in the glovebox! I removed both the glovebox shelf and the cabin air filter cover. This is what it looks like :

AlexNY (05-01-19)
Old 05-19-19, 06:51 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Haven't had a chance to record a video on Carplay, but it's been some time since I've installed the VLite. Overall, it works quite well but there are some inconsistencies. I've found that calls sound better when the device selected is the car itself (Car Multimedia) instead of Apple Carplay. This can be annoying if you hop in the call while on a call and connect the cable which launches Carplay and switches to that for the audio. You have to then go on to the phone and manually switch to the built in bluetooth on the car, but then the GROM gets a tad confused and switches screens. There have been a few times where the navigation screen stays on the Lexus phone call screen, and I can't get it back into GROM unless I end the call (because you can't switch the audio source to AUX, where GROM lives during a phone call).

I use Google Play Music and Spotify on my iPhone, and I've found at time the audio output it selects is the Lexus Bluetooth instead of Apple Carplay so I won't hear any music when using Carplay since it's sending it to the car bluetooth instead. So you then have to use the app on the phone itself and change the output to Apple Carplay.

Overall, these are relatively small issues but it can get annoying at times. But still amazing to have Apple Carplay in the car, and worth the occasional inconveniences. I'm hoping some of them will be fixed through software updates. I haven't had time to reach out to GROM Support yet, but I'll hopefully do that in the coming days when i get some free time.
Old 05-20-19, 03:57 AM
tarm
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Also did you not say that tech Carplay was still beta and not officially released yet? If so my hope would be they will iron those out so its a very good idea for you to report the issues soon.

Your info has me very interested in this as but not for carplay as I am a google pixel and general android user. But things like spotify I have used for yrs and frankly was surprised it was not part of lexus apps. Also to have the in motion lockout turned off for everything will be huge. Also WAZE on the screen will be nice if I choose to.

Quick Reply: DIY - 6ES - GROM VLite/VLine Installation