ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Safelite, Geico and windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-18, 09:41 AM
PAcommuter
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Safelite, Geico and windshield replacement

I have Geico, I have a cracked windshield and I made a claim and chose Safelite to repair it. I'm sure there are a lot of red flag mistakes I'm making. I don't have a shop as I've not had many issues with my car or need for body work. I have a $1k deductible with Geico and so it goes. My appointment is for Thursday morning and now the questions.
Do I demand OEM?
Will it affect my satellite radio?
Anything else I'm forgetting?
Old 11-27-18, 10:06 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I avoid Safelite like the plague. They caused substantial damage to my car upon a side window replacement and got very belligerent when I pointed it out to them.

It will not affect your satellite radio. Best to go OEM branded glass, especially if you have sensors like LKA, rain sensors, auto headlights, etc.
Old 11-27-18, 01:19 PM
dsvetcov
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Demand OEM. See all the prior threads on this subject. If vehicle is leased, Lexus demands it. After market quality and calibration will affect a number of your vehicle options

Old 11-27-18, 01:45 PM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I've had Safelite replace 2 or 3 windshields on other brands of cars with no issues at all from their service. NO leaks, damage to my vehicles, etc. Just had one replaced with auto sensing wipers about 3 weeks ago, works like it should. I would use them again if needed but on the Lexus, would have to ask more questions.
Old 11-27-18, 01:54 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Demand OEM glass at a minimum, wherever you go. As one poster said some time ago, where do the windshields go that do not meet Lexus standards? =) I have a 2014 UL loaded and had to replace the glass. If you have the camera and stuff, it is imperative that you get good, clean, clear glass. I'm happy with my replacement, although it was done at Lexus. Overall it was about $1600 and my insurance paid $1200, IIRC.
Old 11-27-18, 06:53 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

As others said OEM will always be the way to go. One thing I want to mention is that if you have $1k deductible that is way more than what safelite charges to replace the windshield (They charge $500 it looks like). Looking on Lexus parts it shows the windshield to be $1k MSRP. So $1k for the part and figure $300 for the installation and programming, it would only make sense to pay a deductible for Lexus OEM Glass. Since you made a claim, tell them you want Lexus to install it and drop the car of at a dealer. One last thing when you ask for OEM glass mention WITH THE LEXUS LOGO. There is OE, OEM, and OEM with Logo. No matter what, do not settle for anything less than OEM glass With LEXUS Logo.
Old 11-27-18, 06:54 PM
jberger
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Find a local glass shop and let them handle it. It might be cheaper to pay them cash than deal with insurance via Safelite.
Safelite is the walmart of the industry and you are the whims of whoever happens to show up for the work order.
Even with a 1K deductible your glass replacement might be free or subject to a lower deduct.

Where are you in Cali? I know a great shop in San Diego. The guy has been in the business for years and has done a ton of work for me in the past.
Old 11-27-18, 11:14 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Who has a $1,000 deductible for GLASS....?????

glass isn’t a normal claim; it has its own rules, department, and deductibles. Mine is $50. And yes I just used it with geico and a Lexus dealer.

Ive never paid more than a $100 deductible for glass claims.
Old 11-28-18, 04:12 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Only get Lexus or Pilkington which makes the Lexus windshield.
Old 11-28-18, 04:22 AM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 355F1
Who has a $1,000 deductible for GLASS....?????

glass isn’t a normal claim; it has its own rules, department, and deductibles. Mine is $50. And yes I just used it with geico and a Lexus dealer.

Ive never paid more than a $100 deductible for glass claims.
Natonwide Insurance for one. The replacement I mentioned in an earlier post was for wife's 13 Ford Cmax (huge windshield btw), cost me just under $500 out of pocket, my insurance doesn't cover glass even tho I have a comp rider on my policy. I'll be looking for another insurer after the holidays. LOL.
Old 11-28-18, 04:49 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by JimInTN
Natonwide Insurance for one. The replacement I mentioned in an earlier post was for wife's 13 Ford Cmax (huge windshield btw), cost me just under $500 out of pocket, my insurance doesn't cover glass even tho I have a comp rider on my policy. I'll be looking for another insurer after the holidays. LOL.
This link shows they cover it, just like any other company: https://www.nationwide.com/comprehen...definition.jsp

My deductible with State Farm is $0. I don't believe they even offer a comprehensive policy over $500.
Old 11-28-18, 11:07 AM
PAcommuter
Rookie

Well my deductible is $1k and I have comprehensive and it says it's covered, but again what is or isn't included like only branded OEM parts is up for debate. I'm loathe to do Safelite, and I'm trying to find out how soon I can get it done. Positive for Dealer, I can ask for a loaner, it's the MFR, Negative- waiting for an available appointment. I'm also in the East Bay so I'm using Coliseum Lexus. Most of my friends and family don't have much experience with replacing windshields, all have had many years in between chips or replacing a full windshield and of course nowadays cars have way more tech attached to it all.
Old 11-28-18, 04:58 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

I had a cracked windshield on my '17 ES350 in March. Called the insurance company (Kemper Preferred) and they approved OEM WS without asking a question. A week and $50 deductible later, the new WS was installed. Total cost $1,240 by Lizard Auto Glass Fremont. So far no leaks or wind noise whatever and we have had a few rain in the bay area already. And my car always parks outside.
Old 11-28-18, 11:24 PM
PAcommuter
Rookie

I called Geico and Colliseum Lexus this morning. Geico won't cover a dealer doing the repair, in fact they would only pay $40 of the labor! Not pleased with that. Dealer quoted me $1500 just for the windshield and it had to be ordered. I'm still calling around local shops to see what they can do. Since I have a high deductible to keep my premiums low, I might as well not bother with a claim since it's all coming out of pocket. More research to do still.
Old 11-30-18, 04:01 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PAcommuter
I called Geico and Colliseum Lexus this morning. Geico won't cover a dealer doing the repair, in fact they would only pay $40 of the labor! Not pleased with that. Dealer quoted me $1500 just for the windshield and it had to be ordered. I'm still calling around local shops to see what they can do. Since I have a high deductible to keep my premiums low, I might as well not bother with a claim since it's all coming out of pocket. More research to do still.
Doesn't California have a law where you can choose any shop to repair your car? I would look into that. Also many dealership outsource all glass work to a 3rd party. Maybe you can ask and see if you can get the glass company name from the dealer. Another option may be a lexus approved body shop. The $1500 just for the windshield seems high, shop around some more.

Quick Reply: Safelite, Geico and windshield replacement