Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

2013 es300h - trickle charge 12v battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-18, 01:51 PM
nausetjim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 es300h - trickle charge 12v battery?

i will be leaving my '13 es300h hybrid in our garage for the winter (more than 4 months).

is there anything i should be aware of or concerned about, in trickle-charging the non-hybrid battery on my es while it's unattended?

Last edited by nausetjim; 11-16-18 at 01:55 PM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 11-16-18, 02:23 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I don't know whether there is anything to be concerned about with a hybrid, but I have used chargers and stored my 2 ES vehicles (and other cars) for the winter every year without any issues.

I would make sure, though, that I was using a reasonably high quality charger. Some of the cheap ones operate at a constant charge level and can continue to try to charge even when the battery is fully charged. The better chargers monitor the battery's charge level. Then, they reduce their charge level as the car's battery approaches full charge. They stop charging completely when the battery reaches full charge and resume charging only when the battery's charge level starts to drop again.

My experience has been that Battery Tender products are very good. I've been using the Battery Tender Junior, which is a bit less expensive, but it has gotten the job done. They can be bought at places like Walmart for around $25.

I would also suggest that, before you put the car into storage, you overinflate the tires to around 40 psi. That will reduce the chances that they will develop flat spots.
Old 11-16-18, 02:32 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by nausetjim
i will be leaving my '13 es300h hybrid in our garage for the winter (more than 4 months).

is there anything i should be aware of or concerned about, in trickle-charging the non-hybrid battery on my es while it's unattended?
Hi,
That is very good idea. Even if car engine is shut off car's brain is not really in sleep drawing some current from the battery.
Old 11-16-18, 04:13 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Another prominent member of our forum had a mouse family take up residence in the engine compartment inside his garage. believe it was in a vent. Caused a bad smell...
I found by storing classic cars for over 30 years that throwing a few dryer sheets in the engine area and inside the car helps prevent squatters. Put a reminder on your steering wheel for the Spring to remove the sheets from your engine...
The following users liked this post:
jollick (11-16-18)
Old 11-16-18, 06:59 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152
Another prominent member of our forum had a mouse family take up residence in the engine compartment inside his garage. believe it was in a vent. Caused a bad smell...
That would be me.

The nest was huge, and it sat on top of the cabin air filter. When I tried to remove the cabin air filter to clean out the nest, a big part of the nest, including several baby mice, dropped down into the climate control system fan, which is below the cabin air filter.

I spent well over $100 to have the fan removed and cleaned out. But, by that time, parts of the nest and the baby mice that were in it got chewed up by the fan and spread through the ducts that feed the air to the in-cabin vents. It took several months and numerous cans of various spray disinfectants before I was able to completely get rid of the odor.

Putting dryer sheets in the engine bay can be a somewhat effective deterrent. I just make sure that I place them away from the areas that get hot from the engine, and I hold them in place with zip ties. This winter, I'll also be putting dryer sheets on top of the cabin air filter and inside the cabin of the car. Additionally, I now have numerous boxes of d-Con and other rodent poisons placed at various locations around the garage. Besides the time it took to get the odor out of the car, it also took me several months before I felt comfortable that I had rid the garage from the mice. It took me part of that time to find the spot where they had gnawed their way into the garage.
Old 11-16-18, 07:19 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I found by storing classic cars for over 30 years that throwing a few dryer sheets in the engine area and inside the car helps prevent squatters. Put a reminder on your steering wheel for the Spring to remove the sheets from your engine...
Mouse don't like smell of strong Peppermint oil, Moth ball, Irish spring soap bar smell(mre effective when bar is sliced in thin pieces).
nausetjim (11-17-18)
Old 11-17-18, 05:07 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Hi,
That is very good idea. Even if car engine is shut off car's brain is not really in sleep drawing some current from the battery.
I imagine that is especially true if you store the car with the doors locked, as the car will be “listening” for the presence of its key. For all I know, it is listening even when unlocked?
nausetjim (11-17-18)
Old 11-17-18, 05:24 AM
nausetjim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I don't know whether there is anything to be concerned about with a hybrid, but I have used chargers and stored my 2 ES vehicles (and other cars) for the winter every year without any issues.

I would make sure, though, that I was using a reasonably high quality charger. Some of the cheap ones operate at a constant charge level and can continue to try to charge even when the battery is fully charged. The better chargers monitor the battery's charge level. Then, they reduce their charge level as the car's battery approaches full charge. They stop charging completely when the battery reaches full charge and resume charging only when the battery's charge level starts to drop again.

My experience has been that Battery Tender products are very good. I've been using the Battery Tender Junior, which is a bit less expensive, but it has gotten the job done. They can be bought at places like Walmart for around $25.

I would also suggest that, before you put the car into storage, you overinflate the tires to around 40 psi. That will reduce the chances that they will develop flat spots.

Thanks, great advice!
Old 11-17-18, 05:38 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Htony
Mouse don't like smell of strong Peppermint oil, Moth ball, Irish spring soap bar smell(mre effective when bar is sliced in thin pieces).
Yes, moth ***** can be an effective deterrent to rodents. Also, I've found that Irish Spring (or Coast) are an effective deterrent to a variety of pests. My home is tucked back into the woods. During the winter when there is heavy snow cover on the ground, the deer can't get to their most desirable foods, and they will strip the lower branches of the pine trees and arborvitae near the house. Years ago, I started hanging strips of Coast or Irish Spring from those lower branches, and, after doing so, I haven't seen footprints from the deer in the snow anywhere withing 8 to 10 feet of those trees. When I put the ES in the garage for winter storage this year, I'll have to remember, in addition to the dryer sheets, to put some strips of the Irish Spring or Coast in the engine compartment and other spots where there appeared to be mouse activity last winter.
Old 11-17-18, 07:15 AM
Caydoc
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use battery tender, think about leaving trunk open for ventilation This is recommended by most device manufacturers. If trunk stays open, good idea to remove courtesy light bulb in trunk fixture.