ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Pretty upset--Dealers now charge for loaners with warranty work

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-18, 07:44 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This kind of stuff is really BS. Its an individual thing. The dealer I used for 15 years started charging $5 for a loaner, so I changed dealers to one who doesn't charge even though its less convenient. Bought my 17 LS from the new dealer too after having bought 4 straight from the old one.

Sucks to be them, hope they enjoy that $5, last $5 they will ever get from me.
So in a nutshell you inconvenienced yourself to save 5 bucks now and again?
Old 04-12-18, 08:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
So in a nutshell you inconvenienced yourself to save 5 bucks now and again?
Its not about saving the $5, its the principal of it. When I'm paying $160 an hour for service, $200 for an oil change, lopping on another $5 loaner charge is just insulting. I'll take my business elsewhere. If you're not willing to do those sorts of things as a consumer, then you deserve to be overcharged.

Its not a huge inconvenience, its a 15 minute drive. In fact, they'll even come get the car if I want them to.

I like doing business with people who value my business.
Old 04-12-18, 09:27 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Its not about saving the $5, its the principal of it. When I'm paying $160 an hour for service, $200 for an oil change, lopping on another $5 loaner charge is just insulting. I'll take my business elsewhere. If you're not willing to do those sorts of things as a consumer, then you deserve to be overcharged.

Its not a huge inconvenience, its a 15 minute drive. In fact, they'll even come get the car if I want them to.

I like doing business with people who value my business.

I have noticed that when people (in discussing a monetary matter) say it's the principle, it rarely is. It's the money. It seems a bit over the top to go and finance and lease 80 to hundred thousand dollar vehicles and then complain about a 5 dollar fee. Each to their own, but I am not joining that club.
Old 04-12-18, 09:54 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Look I agree it is nickle and diming ....but I have better things to do than drive an extra 15 minutes just to in essence punish them. If I felt that strongly about the 5 buck fee, I would walk into their general manager's office and request a permanent waiver on the fee.

Fact is they will make it up elsewhere, so it's a no-win game .
Old 04-12-18, 10:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have noticed that when people (in discussing a monetary matter) say it's the principle, it rarely is. It's the money. It seems a bit over the top to go and finance and lease 80 to hundred thousand dollar vehicles and then complain about a 5 dollar fee. Each to their own, but I am not joining that club.
Thats your choice. If you really think I can't afford to pay $5 I don't know what to tell you lol. Sure, I make 4 figure car payments and pay twice as much as I have to for service by using the dealer, but I can't afford the $5. Makes sense

What they should do if they need more revenue is just raise their prices. At least thats not insulting. Just add $5 to every service and nobody will even realize. I did voice my opinion to the general manager, and got nowhere so they lost my business. The reason I pay more for dealer service in the first place is the ease of being able to roll in and get a loaner. I'm not going to pay twice as much as having a simple service done elsewhere AND then pay for a loaner.

The new dealer is great, and like I said they value my business. So I have to drive 20 minutes more round trip once every 3 months to have it serviced, no big deal. Or like I said they will come get it and drop off a loaner, they don't even charge me anything additional to do that, so why would I pay the old dealer $5?

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-12-18 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-12-18, 10:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Lucky for me (not the one being charged $5 for a loaner car, but if I were) there are plenty of other conveniently located dealers to choose from here in CA. As customers, taking our business elsewhere is one way we can demonstrate our dissatisfaction - if your choice is to pay the fee, pay the fee - but my choice would be to move my business - not bc I cannot pay the $5 - but bc I do not wish to pay extra for something others are willing to include in my service.
Exactly, same here. Lots of dealers around.
Old 04-12-18, 11:00 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats your choice. If you really think I can't afford to pay $5 I don't know what to tell you lol. Sure, I make 4 figure car payments and pay twice as much as I have to for service by using the dealer, but I can't afford the $5. Makes sense

What they should do if they need more revenue is just raise their prices. At least thats not insulting. Just add $5 to every service and nobody will even realize. I did voice my opinion to the general manager, and got nowhere so they lost my business. The reason I pay more for dealer service in the first place is the ease of being able to roll in and get a loaner. I'm not going to pay twice as much as having a simple service done elsewhere AND then pay for a loaner.

The new dealer is great, and like I said they value my business. So I have to drive 20 minutes more round trip once every 3 months to have it serviced, no big deal. Or like I said they will come get it and drop off a loaner, they don't even charge me anything additional to do that, so why would I pay the old dealer $5?
Good for you, that's what we need more of, if everybody did this they would change their practices. People who say it doesn't matter will be the ones that keep this kind of foolishness going.Lucky for me my dealership doesn't charge for loaners either.
Old 04-12-18, 12:55 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

My time is important and an extra 15 minute drive there and 15 minutes back to save 5 bucks? You probably spend more in gas than you allegedly save. Won't be doing that. And then to suggest they add the $5 to the bill and hide it...so what's the difference? None financially, but somehow you feel "less insulted" and "valued more"? Huh?

The fact that is mentioned they will come and get the car and not charge you for that. Don't all Lexus dealers do that? They do in my neck of the woods.

It's really hilarious..the more you go on and on about this egregious 5 dollar charge, the funnier it is.
Old 04-12-18, 03:15 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 607 Likes on 388 Posts

HERE IS THEIR REPLY:

Thank you for contacting Lexus.

Service pricing, including the possibility of loaner expenses, is determined by each Lexus dealership. For this reason, pricing may vary dealer to dealer.

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention, as genuine consumer insight serves as a primary and rich resource regarding customer expectations of dealership services. Please know, your feedback has been documented at our National Headquarters, where it remains available for review from appropriate departments seeking to learn of insight such as yours.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Cameron Miner
Lexus Guest Experience Center
Old 04-12-18, 04:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My time is important and an extra 15 minute drive there and 15 minutes back to save 5 bucks? You probably spend more in gas than you allegedly save. Won't be doing that. And then to suggest they add the $5 to the bill and hide it...so what's the difference? None financially, but somehow you feel "less insulted" and "valued more"? Huh?

The fact that is mentioned they will come and get the car and not charge you for that. Don't all Lexus dealers do that? They do in my neck of the woods.

It's really hilarious..the more you go on and on about this egregious 5 dollar charge, the funnier it is.
Its not about saving $5, its about giving my business to a business that values it. If its not important to you to do that fine, but it is important to me and clearly to others.

Its a BS cash grab charge and I'm not going to pay it. End of story. There are other options.

BTW, no not all Lexus dealers will do pick up and drop off. The previous dealer I used doesn't new dealer does. All of them used to but not all do any longer.

I'm not the one going on about it, you're the one who won't let it go lol. If you like supporting businesses that nickel and dime you for already high profit margin services by making you pay for perks that used to be built into those high costs good for you, but you're not going to make me feel silly for not doing that. The service is better at the new dealer anyways, I'm totally satisfied with my choice.
Old 04-13-18, 10:17 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,271 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Its not about saving $5, its about giving my business to a business that values it. If its not important to you to do that fine, but it is important to me and clearly to others.

Its a BS cash grab charge and I'm not going to pay it. End of story. There are other options.

BTW, no not all Lexus dealers will do pick up and drop off. The previous dealer I used doesn't new dealer does. All of them used to but not all do any longer.

I'm not the one going on about it, you're the one who won't let it go lol. If you like supporting businesses that nickel and dime you for already high profit margin services by making you pay for perks that used to be built into those high costs good for you, but you're not going to make me feel silly for not doing that. The service is better at the new dealer anyways, I'm totally satisfied with my choice.
I agree with you 100%. But I was kinda thinking in reverse of the logic. So its the Dealer who needs $5 per customer in service. Kinda of Petty of the Dealer IMO.

So make $5........... but lose a Customer who purchases, and Services, and Buys again with you. What a Bright Business idea? 5 Bucks. LOL!
Old 04-14-18, 09:25 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 621 Likes on 469 Posts

You dumped your independent? I thought you only brought you car to the dealer for free, or warranty services.
Old 04-14-18, 09:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
You dumped your independent? I thought you only brought you car to the dealer for free, or warranty services.
No I still use my independent. Right now I have both the 5k and 10k coming which are free, and I use the dealer for warranty work. I may use the dealer for the other 5k and 10k services too since the pricing is close and I get the loaner, depends on how busy i am when they roll around. then use the independent for the 30k where the spread is more.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-14-18 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-15-18, 03:29 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

You are the one who brought up the $5 charge in this forum and that you deem it unreasonable and a cash grab, so clearly it is of importance to you and so much so that you switched dealers and picked one further away. . If it were a trivial matter, you would not have mentioned it.

I am not trying to make you look silly but it is after all the posturing still only $5.00
Old 04-15-18, 06:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You are the one who brought up the $5 charge in this forum and that you deem it unreasonable and a cash grab, so clearly it is of importance to you and so much so that you switched dealers and picked one further away. . If it were a trivial matter, you would not have mentioned it.

I am not trying to make you look silly but it is after all the posturing still only $5.00
I brought it up because it was on topic with what the OP experienced. The $5 is trivial to me as an amount of money, but the concept that my old dealer would charge such a silly cash grab fee is not trivial to me, so I took my business elsewhere. What’s so hard to understand? If it were $1 or $20 I would have done the same thing.

If it doesn’t bother you when businesses you’ve been a loyal customer of for many years start valuing maximizing profit from you over providing good service that’s fine. It bothers me so I speak with my wallet. Simple.

Like I said I’m much happier with the other dealer anyways. The $5 charge is what made me look elsewhere and I liked what I found. That’s the risk a business takes when they give customers reasons to look elsewhere. Even if they dropped the $5 I wouldn’t go back.

Quick Reply: Pretty upset--Dealers now charge for loaners with warranty work