ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-6th-gen-2013-2018-247/)
-   -   Pretty upset--Dealers now charge for loaners with warranty work (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-6th-gen-2013-2018/885796-pretty-upset-dealers-now-charge-for-loaners-with-warranty-work.html)

355F1 04-09-18 10:44 PM

Pretty upset--Dealers now charge for loaners with warranty work

So...I just found out that Lexus of Chandler (AZ) started charging $20 for ANY loaner with ANY warranty work.

WTF??!?!?!?!?!

Anyone else seeing this at any other dealers????

This does NOT make sense.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...dc400ee091.jpg

Albo 04-09-18 10:57 PM

Woah. Not cool

bc6152 04-10-18 04:55 AM

My understanding is that replacement windshields in Arizona is a big business. Not sure why, but this charge is probably only local with this dealer. Here in the east we don't go through a lot of windshields. In any case, hope they don't start this policy here...

gmanusmc 04-10-18 06:28 AM

I personally haven't experienced this but wouldn't have a problem with it - the dealer should not have to pay for my gas and windshield replacement can get to be costly.

lesz 04-10-18 08:25 AM

Even if the $20 charge is warranted, as much as anything, the dealer's decision to impose this charge has bad optics, and it can't be a well thought out decision on the part of the dealer. I suspect that only a small part of the $20 charge is the result of insurance costs related to OEM windshield replacements and that most of the $20 is related to gas usage, but, when the two are packaged together, it just comes across as being petty nickel and diming.

If that dealer is like most other Lexus dealers, it is already charging prices that are twice as high or more for service than the Toyota dealer down the road, and that Toyota dealer is likely offering truly free loaner vehicles. Many Lexus vehicle owners have already made the decision not to use the Lexus dealer for non-warranty service, and I would think that such a charge would cause others to make the same decision.

Superman60 04-10-18 09:19 AM

Is this true? My windshield is not factory oem when I bought my CPO 2014 GS350. I'm going to call them.

lesz 04-10-18 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Superman60 (Post 10167911)
Is this true? My windshield is not factory oem when I bought my CPO 2014 GS350. I'm going to call them.

I was wondering about the same thing.

When I bought my 2017 ES and traded in my 2013 ES, I completed the deal via email and phone, and the dealer made the trade-in offer without ever seeing the 2013 ES. During phone discussions, I was asked a number of questions, including things like how much tread was left on the tires, related to whether the dealer would be able to sell my 2013 as a CPO vehicle. They did not, however, ask me about whether the windshield had ever been replaced or whether it had an OEM windshield. I would have thought that, if a non-OEM windshield would have made the car ineligible for being a CPO vehicle, they would have asked me about the windshield. Also, while I've read much about what is required for certification, I've never read anything before this about a requirement of an OEM windshield, and I've read a number of posts on the CL boards from people who have bought CPO vehicles that had non-OEM windshield replacements.

Superman60 04-10-18 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by lesz (Post 10167938)
I was wondering about the same thing.

When I bought my 2017 ES and traded in my 2013 ES, I completed the deal via email and phone, and the dealer made the trade-in offer without ever seeing the 2013 ES. During phone discussions, I was asked a number of questions, including things like how much tread was left on the tires, related to whether the dealer would be able to sell my 2013 as a CPO vehicle. They did not, however, ask me about whether the windshield had ever been replaced or whether it had an OEM windshield. I would have thought that, if a non-OEM windshield would have made the car ineligible for being a CPO vehicle, they would have asked me about the windshield. Also, while I've read much about what is required for certification, I've never read anything before this about a requirement of an OEM windshield, and I've read a number of posts on the CL boards from people who have bought CPO vehicles that had non-OEM windshield replacements.

Correct, I sent Lexus Corporate a screen shot of the poster, and asked whether this was the case, and if not, this is very misleading. they're going to respond within 24 hrs. the reply said. I'll keep you posted. Also the rep. I spoke with inquired while I was on the phone and said it didn't have to be OEM to be certified. I read him the poster and he gave me customer service email to send them a screen shot of it.

Maikerusan 04-10-18 11:25 AM

Do they not have a more expensive option so we can get Nitrogen in the tires also? :sad:

PS- I would tell that dealer point blank, I am not spending another dime here of service or on cars until this nonsense stops.

BradTank 04-10-18 12:06 PM

$20 is outrageous, especially if it's warranty work. This is definitely a Lexus dealer going rogue and customers are going to have issues.

I go to Bell Lexus from time to time in AZ, and they charge $7.50 a day but that includes your fuel. Seems a fair charge to me as I likely burn at least that much fuel when I use their cars.

JDR76 04-10-18 12:49 PM

Seems to contradict page 5 of the Lexus Warranty and Services Guide, at least for 8+ hour repairs :

Loaner Vehicle
If your vehicle must be kept overnight at a Lexus dealership for a warranty-covered condition that requires more than eight hours to repair, Lexus will provide you with a complimentary loaner vehicle for up to five days.
I suspect anything to do with loaners outside of the above condition is up to the individual dealer. I know at mine (Lexus of Seattle) they provide a free loaner for any service expected to last 2 hours or more. Otherwise you wait or take their shuttle.

355F1 04-10-18 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Superman60 (Post 10167953)
Correct, I sent Lexus Corporate a screen shot of the poster, and asked whether this was the case, and if not, this is very misleading. they're going to respond within 24 hrs. the reply said. I'll keep you posted. Also the rep. I spoke with inquired while I was on the phone and said it didn't have to be OEM to be certified. I read him the poster and he gave me customer service email to send them a screen shot of it.

I too sent an email to customer service today. I’ll let you know when they reply.

Maikerusan 04-11-18 04:46 PM

If I had to pay $20, I might go for a 6 or 7 hour cruise in their car and return the car empty of gas. That might change their foolish policy.

SW17LS 04-11-18 06:43 PM

This kind of stuff is really BS. Its an individual thing. The dealer I used for 15 years started charging $5 for a loaner, so I changed dealers to one who doesn't charge even though its less convenient. Bought my 17 LS from the new dealer too after having bought 4 straight from the old one.

Sucks to be them, hope they enjoy that $5, last $5 they will ever get from me.

I have no problem replacing the fuel I use. The new dealer is free fuel, and they have free EZPasses for free tolls since its right off of an expensive toll road. Clear who wants my business more.