ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Looking for a new car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 05:35 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by newyerker
piano black gets very very dirty and gets scratched easily which is also very visible. sticking with wood is the better idea honestly.

and great call on ES over Q50. i was between the two also, but just could not tolerate that cheap interior with tiny cabin, and trunk.

but if your order is going to take 4 months...........i think they'd reveal 2019 redesigned ES by then...not so sure if you want to stick with 18
Interesting since you were also considering those two.

Why did you think the Q50's interior was cheap?

As for the interior dimensions, I'm seeing the Q50's front legroom dimensions are 44.5, while the ES350's is 41.9. What type of measurement are you looking at? If it's the trunk, then agree, it's 13.5 for the Q50 and 15 2 for the ES 350.

You might be right about the scratching, and how it allegedly gets dirtier. But it's one of those things I probably have to try it for myself, and see how much of a problem it is, or how much it bothers me.
Old 01-14-18, 05:45 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Just asking this question after reading this.

https://www.edmunds.com/lexus/es-350...-entry-pricing

They compare the ES350 with the Lincoln MKZ and the Buick LaCrosse.

Brand name and resale value aside, it appears the MKZ offers a more powerful engine and better suspension. If this is true, would that make it a better car?
Old 01-14-18, 06:01 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
The sales manager told me all of their trims are made from the same wood. So I confirmed that even the piano black was made from wood.

Maybe it wasn't like that before?

If it had been made with plastic, I wouldn't have considered it.

So I asked again, that based on what he said, that all of the trims were made with the same wood, and the only difference was the trim color? He confirmed again.
Based on how he answered this question and how he incorrectly answered other questions that you have talked about in this thread, it doesn't sound like the sales manager knows what he is talking about. The piano black trim is, in fact, plastic. And various trees are used for the different wood trim choices.
Old 01-14-18, 06:30 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by lesz
Based on how he answered this question and how he incorrectly answered other questions that you have talked about in this thread, it doesn't sound like the sales manager knows what he is talking about. The piano black trim is, in fact, plastic. And various trees are used for the different wood trim choices.
How did you know this?

I guess I can also call Lexus to confirm.
Old 01-14-18, 06:31 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

I have never had any modifications to any of my cars. Except for a radio/CD player I had installed to a sedan in the mid 90s.

But after seeing these pictures, I wonder if I could take it to a shop and have them make the trim piano black.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post6391626

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ano-black.html

I sort of had my heart set on this new car being "the same but different", and the trim would have been the "different" part.
What do people think about how these people got their trim modded?

That way it was still wood, with just a different color?
Old 01-15-18, 02:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

As others have told you, “piano black”is the base trim, it’s plastic on the base car that does not feature wood trim. You have to understand the ES is a mass produced entry level luxury car, even when you order they do not build them custom or bespoke. You have to select from the same packages and option combinations dealers do when they stock cars. You can’t build an LS or even a Mercedes S Class (save for perhaps a Maybach) bespoke either. If you want that level of customization your choice of price point is missing a zero.

Can a shop make your wood trim “piano black”?Sure, custom shops can do anything. They would just remove the trim pieces, paint them black and reinstall them.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-15-18 at 02:39 AM.
Old 01-15-18, 06:10 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

How did you know this?

I guess I can also call Lexus to confirm.
If you open the lid for the cup holder on the center console on a base ES with piano black trim and look at the edges and back side of it, it will immediately be obvious that you are looking at a piece of molded plastic.

It can be noted, too, that the "wood" used for most pieces on the ES with other packages is not solid wood. Instead, it actually is a wood veneer that has been laminated to a plastic base.
Old 01-15-18, 10:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It can be noted, too, that the "wood" used for most pieces on the ES with other packages is not solid wood. Instead, it actually is a wood veneer that has been laminated to a plastic base.
Correct, which is the case for almost all modern cars. Thats why it can't really be refinished a different color.
Old 01-25-18, 04:11 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW15LS
As others have told you, “piano black”is the base trim, it’s plastic on the base car that does not feature wood trim. You have to understand the ES is a mass produced entry level luxury car, even when you order they do not build them custom or bespoke. You have to select from the same packages and option combinations dealers do when they stock cars. You can’t build an LS or even a Mercedes S Class (save for perhaps a Maybach) bespoke either. If you want that level of customization your choice of price point is missing a zero.

Can a shop make your wood trim “piano black”?Sure, custom shops can do anything. They would just remove the trim pieces, paint them black and reinstall them.
If you open the lid for the cup holder on the center console on a base ES with piano black trim and look at the edges and back side of it, it will immediately be obvious that you are looking at a piece of molded plastic.

Correct, which is the case for almost all modern cars. Thats why it can't really be refinished a different color.
Thanks all.

On Tuesday, January 16, before having read these posts, I called Lexus.

I asked if the piano black trim was made with real wood.

The representative put me on hold, and both looked within their system, and called a dealer, to confirm. She came back and said it was made with real wood.

I asked if she had mentioned specifically the piano black trim. I said I wasn't seeing that option available on other packages outside of the base model, so that's why I wasn't sure.

She put me on hold again, and contacted the dealer again.

She came back and said it's not all real wood, it's part plastic, part wood. Whereas the other trims are all wood.

These posts confirm this also.

I guess I'll get an estimate from a detail shop about what they can do, and provide them links to these pictures as a reference:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post6391626
Old 01-25-18, 04:30 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

I asked if she had mentioned specifically the piano black trim. I said I wasn't seeing that option available on other packages outside of the base model, so that's why I wasn't sure.

She put me on hold again, and contacted the dealer again.

She came back and said it's not all real wood, it's part plastic, part wood. Whereas the other trims are all wood.
They are still giving you incorrect information.

There is no wood at all in the piano black trim pieces. They are 100% plastic. And, for the wood trim options, it is not "all wood". It is a wood veneer laminated onto a plastic base. I'm 100% sure of that information, as are others who have replied in this thread.

I've seen both the piano black and real wood pieces when they have been removed from the car. There is no way that anyone could possibly look at the piano black pieces and think that there is any wood in them, and it is quite obvious, when you look at the real wood pieces, that they are not solid wood.

At this point, however, feel free to believe whatever you want to believe.
Old 01-25-18, 06:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As les has said, the person is giving you incorrect information. The piano black trim is plastic, and the only part of the interior that is "all wood" is the steering wheel.

When it comes down to trusting what people tell you here, or what Lexus reps or dealer reps tell you, trust the people here. Again the rep called a dealer, and dealers are staffed by complete incompetents.
Old 01-27-18, 01:54 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

They are still giving you incorrect information.

There is no wood at all in the piano black trim pieces. They are 100% plastic. And, for the wood trim options, it is not "all wood". It is a wood veneer laminated onto a plastic base. I'm 100% sure of that information, as are others who have replied in this thread.

I've seen both the piano black and real wood pieces when they have been removed from the car. There is no way that anyone could possibly look at the piano black pieces and think that there is any wood in them, and it is quite obvious, when you look at the real wood pieces, that they are not solid wood.

At this point, however, feel free to believe whatever you want to believe.
Thank you. I had called them before having read the responses on 1/15.

Thank you for also mentioning the piano black is 100% plastic, and not even the part plastic, part wood like the representative said. It's disappointing to get wrong information from two sources affiliated with Lexus (sales manager at a dealer, and the phone representative).
Old 01-27-18, 01:56 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

This was a great line.
Old 01-27-18, 01:57 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Just asking this question after reading this.

https://www.edmunds.com/lexus/es-350...-entry-pricing

They compare the ES350 with the Lincoln MKZ and the Buick LaCrosse.

Brand name and resale value aside, it appears the MKZ offers a more powerful engine and better suspension. If this is true, would that make it a better car?
Does anyone have thoughts on that Edmunds analysis?
Old 02-05-18, 01:47 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

The sales manager who did my deal is out of the country now to attend to family matters.

Another manager was handed over my order. When speaking with him today, he told me that it could take longer than 4 months.

He said for one of his recent clients, it took 7 months, and the factory had forgotten some door panel illuminated thing (I think that's what he said). He warned that it might not come out 100% exactly as I wanted.

To me, as long as it has the major packages that I wanted, and the color combinations, that's fine.

I hope though that it doesn't take 7 months. I had prepared myself for about 4 months.

Quick Reply: Looking for a new car.