ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2016 Lexus ES350 Dashcam hardwire install

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 10:44 AM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a small update. I was able to utilize my dashcams 24hr parking monitor feature by tapping into a different line than the one described by EJC and keelaboosa. I used a volt meter and found a few different lines that were live 12v with the engine turned off. Sorry I wasn't able to snap up some pictures as I was in a hurry, but I ended up using the line next to the beige color wire that keelaboosa posted in his picture, but my wire wasn't red like you can see from keelaboosa picture. I would HIGHLY suggest using a volt meter with a sewing pin tapped to the end to access and confirm the voltage of the wire you plan to tap into to. It has been almost a week and there has been no issues. Btw, I didn't sodder the wires and instead used T-taps and made sure the connection was fully secure which I feel is a cleaner install and can be later removed if needed.

Last edited by Dr.2K; 02-13-19 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-14-19, 01:15 PM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

does anyone know which wire i need to tap for a 2015 ES?

i don't know how to use a multimeter nor do i even have one.......
Old 02-14-19, 02:05 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexNY
does anyone know which wire i need to tap for a 2015 ES?

i don't know how to use a multimeter nor do i even have one.......
I beleive EJ posted a install for his prior gen ES, but you should still double check it with a volt meter or ask someone for assistance.

The following users liked this post:
EJC (01-27-20)
Old 01-27-20, 01:47 PM
kxaz145
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to all for the original video identifying the correct connector, and the photos showing the actual wires themselves. I was a little confused when I checked the voltage before spicing as turning off (pressing the button) is a two step process with the doors open. After the first press I still had voltage on the tan wire, but after the second press it dropped to zero. There was enough room to shove the excess cable/voltage regulator above the console and it snapped back into place without any issue. Now works perfectly without the cigarette lighter adapter hanging down!
The following users liked this post:
EJC (01-27-20)
Old 02-06-20, 08:08 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Hello all,

I just ordered the Aukey DR02D front and rear camera for my wife's ES300H. They come with a 13ft USB Mini-B Cable and 23ft USB Mini-B Cable. This should be enough to tuck wires and run them both into the arm rest where the USB connectors and cigarette lighter is, correct?

Last edited by LexusK; 02-06-20 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-06-20, 08:26 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LGSF88
Hello all,

I just ordered the Aukey DR02D front and rear camera for my wife's ES300H. They come with a 13ft USB Mini-B Cable and 23ft USB Mini-B Cable. This should be enough to tuck wires and run them both into the arm rest where the USB connectors and cigarette lighter is, correct?
Measure it out. I'm assuming that you will route the wire down the pillar and around the passenger side and into the center console. My guess is the 13' cable will be close but no problem with the 23'.
Old 02-06-20, 08:34 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by EJC
Measure it out. I'm assuming that you will route the wire down the pillar and around the passenger side and into the center console. My guess is the 13' cable will be close but no problem with the 23'.
Will attempt this tonight! Ordered it 30 min ago and it's already saying that it will be delivered today!

Do you have parking mode with your dash cam? I'm also wondering if it's safe to leave the camera plugged in and "on" every night. I don't want to drain the car battery, so I thought about getting an external battery pack which would require us to plug in every night when we get home from work. Bit of extra work, but I don't mind. We are in an apartment and there were some break ins last week, which prompted me to get this camera. I want to be ready to catch these crooks in case they ever come back.
Old 02-06-20, 10:41 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Hello all,

Will attempt this tonight! Ordered it 30 min ago and it's already saying that it will be delivered today!

Do you have parking mode with your dash cam? I'm also wondering if it's safe to leave the camera plugged in and "on" every night. I don't want to drain the car battery, so I thought about getting an external battery pack which would require us to plug in every night when we get home from work. Bit of extra work, but I don't mind. We are in an apartment and there were some break ins last week, which prompted me to get this camera. I want to be ready to catch these crooks in case they ever come back.
I don't use the bump setting.
But check the specs the camera should be working on its' internal battery and should wake up when bumped. This way the battery should not drain.
On the Lexus, the convenience outlets are dead with the ignition off (unlike Porsche which are always live).
You will probably be fine.
Old 02-06-20, 10:42 AM
EastTNLex
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

If your car is broken into, hopefully one of the items they leave behind is the camera. Maybe an additional option is to have a camera watch your car...maybe a camera in your apartment window. Is that possible?
Old 10-09-21, 08:42 PM
kithp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for showing which wires to use. This will save me a lot of time.