Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 07:04 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts
Default 2016 Lexus ES350 Dashcam hardwire install

I just posted a video on a hardwire for a Radar Detector in the '16 ES350
Here I installed our Dashcam

The only thing needed is a hardwire cable that has the proper USB connector for your camera and voltage regulator to drop the voltage from 12Vdc to 5 Vdc.
A trim removal tool will also help

Old 10-29-16, 06:21 PM
GabrielH21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume that this works for the 2013 ES350 as well?
Old 10-29-16, 07:54 PM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by GabrielH21
I assume that this works for the 2013 ES350 as well?
I can't guarantee that the wiring is the same but the process is similar.
I also did this in a 2010 ES350 we owned prior to the '16

The following users liked this post:
keelaboosa (12-15-16)
Old 10-30-16, 11:04 AM
5Ws
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These mod videos are what makes forums like CL.com great. Even if not doing the same project, the video can be an valuable reference.

Thank you EJC for your video.

Richard
Old 10-30-16, 07:59 PM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by 5Ws
These mod videos are what makes forums like CL.com great. Even if not doing the same project, the video can be an valuable reference.

Thank you EJC for your video.

Richard

Thanks, glad you found it useful
Old 01-27-17, 01:28 PM
keelaboosa
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Elliot - Thanks for this write-up and video. I was able to wire in my dashcam thanks to your video. I wanted to add a little more info I would have found helpful, if I may. Before anyone criticizes my color recognition skillz, you should know I'm red-green colorblind so pay more attention to the wire position rather than the color I say it is.

The tan wire supplies 12V when the ignition is on, but goes to 0V when off. This most closely resembled the way the cigarette lighter would be powered, so this is where I tapped in the red wire.

The white wire with a dark stripe was a good ground. I think there may have been other ground wires too, but I selected this one because it was located next to an empty slot in the connector, so easy to remember.

One of two rear clips I broke in the process. The front two clips in the overhead console are different than the rears, FYI. I'm not sure when I broke them, but there's no mistaking it when they don't work! Gravity is not your friend if the console isn't clipped in properly. There is a bulge on the left side of the pokey-innie part, but not the right side. I don't think these are intended for multiple insertions and extractions, so get them before you need them. It's cheap insurance and you'll feel like your own personal hero if you end up needing them.

Invoice for the clips. Part number is 90467-096236. $2.30 each is a bit steep if you ask me, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. It sure beats ordering in the blind from Amazon or eBay.

I used a Z-Edge Z3, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018YRBQSK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The suction cup mount is "meh", and I couldn't position the camera in front of the rearview mirror where it doesn't obstruct my view thru the windshield.

I bought this guy as well. It screws onto the rearview mirror arm and puts the camera exactly where I want it without blocking any of my view. Definitely worth getting this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0102CK1BS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-27-17, 02:10 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Thank you for providing this video. A dash-mounted cam is something that I've been wanting to have for a lot time.

Have you recorded any videos at night? If you have a moment, can you post a video of a night video so I can see the quality? I like your camera --- it's small and discrete.

Thanks again.
Old 01-18-19, 02:44 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So no one with a 6th Gen ES has done a dashcam install that taps into the drivers side internal fuse box? Surprised no one has done this type of install instead of cutting/splicing into existing wiring. Been looking all over for an extensive install process removing the A pillar and needed panels to do this install without much luck. Have seen other lexus models done but given the airbag in the A pillar I was looking for some do's and dont's for removing the panels involved. May have to just do this wire tapping technique as EJC
Old 01-19-19, 08:47 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Also had a question on the OP or keelaboosa regarding if their dashcam had the parking monitor feature? My dashcam has this feature and I will need a wire that is constantly on even with the car ignition off. Did you find a wire in the overhead that is always on? Would be great if someone had a wiring schematic pdf of the overhead wiring connectors. Tried googling but no luck so far. Would appreciate any input.
Old 01-20-19, 11:39 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

Here you go:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Interior mirror diagram.pdf (83.7 KB, 299 views)
Old 01-20-19, 01:03 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Originally Posted by NdYAG
Here you go:
Wow! Awesome, thank you very very much!!!
Old 01-20-19, 01:16 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Originally Posted by NdYAG
Here you go:
Thanks again for the diagram, but would you happen to have the wiring diagram outlining the specific name and voltage of each of the wires in the connectors located in overhead console? Thank you.
Old 01-20-19, 10:41 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Did this installation today and I would like to thank the OP EJC for the video and keelaboosa for the great picture. I used T-taps and the same colored wires that EJC and keelaboosa pointed out for the install and it works flawlessly. I could not find my volt meter today so I will eventually be redoing this install again once I find a constant "on" source in the overhead connector to utilize my dashcams parking monitor feature.

Old 01-24-19, 10:05 AM
NachoNYC
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I just installed the same camera. Where did you get the mirror attachment?
Old 01-24-19, 10:46 AM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Originally Posted by NachoNYC
I just installed the same camera. Where did you get the mirror attachment?

Here you go.
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus ES350 Dashcam hardwire install