ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Synthetic Oil Change interval ES 350 2018

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-23, 01:03 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 225 Likes on 180 Posts

Almost every questioned asked can be found in the ‘archives’, some more than others. Since the question is not likely to be retracted, replying to use the search function is less helpful than not posting the comment. I either respond or move one.

My general opinion on oil changes: since Toyota/Lexus does not list a separate oil change frequency, unlike for ATF, for severe driving conditions, then 10K oil changes (or whatever is recommended for your vehicle) should not scare anyone as long as you use good oil and good oil filter. Alternatively, you can submit an oil sample for analysis to help steer you to a more accurate oil change based on mileage and your driving conditions.
Old 03-22-23, 02:32 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I change my engine oil every 10,000 miles. Been doing g that for 45 years. I've never had ANY engine problems on any car. None of my cars have EVER need oil added between oil changes. I stopped even checking my oli ever since I bought my first Lexus LS 14 years ago.

The only oil related habits I have is when the car is cold or frozen I take it slow till it warms up and I never shut the car off after a long highway drive without letting it run a bit to cool down
Old 03-23-23, 09:58 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 123 Posts

I had my oil tested at the 10k and it held up very well. These old style engines are pretty good. On newer GDI toyota engines I would only do 5k
oil changes.
Old 03-25-23, 09:43 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,271 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by NdYAG
> Also a restrictive filter will 100% affect gas mileage some in many ways.

Just a quick question - you do realize that the engine output is controlled by turning a throttle plate, which is just a variable restriction? Please explain the difference between a slightly less open throttle plate and more restrictive air filter and why it will "100% affect gas mileage"?

As far as filter letting through initially trapped particles when it collects a lot of them? Based on what??? If anything the collected dust will itself work as an additional filter.

The engine output is controlled by Air = Throttle plate and GAS! That's your 1st problem. The rest leads you to saying we would be better with very dirty air and oil filters. The problem is the Filter are there in a Flow condition to filter the flow of contaminates. The dirtier the filter the Less flow. The rest is just irrelevant to explain.
Old 03-26-23, 04:42 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
Almost every questioned asked can be found in the ‘archives’, some more than others. Since the question is not likely to be retracted, replying to use the search function is less helpful than not posting the comment. I either respond or move one.

My general opinion on oil changes: since Toyota/Lexus does not list a separate oil change frequency, unlike for ATF, for severe driving conditions, then 10K oil changes (or whatever is recommended for your vehicle) should not scare anyone as long as you use good oil and good oil filter. Alternatively, you can submit an oil sample for analysis to help steer you to a more accurate oil change based on mileage and your driving conditions.
I believe they do offer an alternative frequency for severe driving conditions, it’s 5,000 miles. I could be wrong, but I think I’ve read that in my owner’s manual. To me that seems like an extreme...going from 10,000 to 5,000, but I’m pretty sure it is in the manual.
Old 03-26-23, 06:40 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,243 Likes on 873 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I believe they do offer an alternative frequency for severe driving conditions, it’s 5,000 miles. I could be wrong, but I think I’ve read that in my owner’s manual. To me that seems like an extreme...going from 10,000 to 5,000, but I’m pretty sure it is in the manual.
Severe driving conditions equate to police cars, taxis, delivery vehicles, constant short trips with stop and go. Hardly how probably 90% of members on this forum use their vehicles.
I've sat in a police car on fire grounds during very cold temps that Idled for 8-10 hours... That is severe... 10k OCI is more than adequate for most...
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (03-28-23)
Old 03-27-23, 01:35 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 120 Posts

I do around 7,000 miles.

There's a great YouTube channel out there called "The Car Care Nut" that's a longtime Lexus/Toyota tech with his own shop. He's shown how engines have had to be replaced from owners thinking 10k mile oil changes were sufficient. They start burning oil and it gets worse and worse until you have to replace.

I've tightened up how often I change the oil.

Some of the problem too is automakers using this ultra thin oil to hit CAFE fuel economy standards. It does no favors for our engines long term all to get an extra .1mpg.

Old 03-27-23, 04:57 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by BradTank
I do around 7,000 miles.

There's a great YouTube channel out there called "The Car Care Nut" that's a longtime Lexus/Toyota tech with his own shop. He's shown how engines have had to be replaced from owners thinking 10k mile oil changes were sufficient. They start burning oil and it gets worse and worse until you have to replace.

I've tightened up how often I change the oil.

Some of the problem too is automakers using this ultra thin oil to hit CAFE fuel economy standards. It does no favors for our engines long term all to get an extra .1mpg.
Car Care comment mostly applies to newer GDI engines. This generation is bullet proof.
bc6152 (03-27-23)
Old 03-27-23, 06:13 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I do my own changes at 6000 miles, Mobil 1 and Toyota filter, oil and filter changes are way cheaper than engine changes. Like everyone says tons of threads about this topic, Car Care nut discusses several models and oil changes, not just GDI, he is a proponent of 5k-6k interval oil changes, especially on the 4 cylinder 2.5 engines. It’s your car and your money. If you did almost exclusive highway then the 10k oil change would be more possible. The city and highway mix is the factor which reduces oil life more, accompanied with cold weather warm ups. I have a 2014 ES350.
Old 03-28-23, 03:45 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by frankymenz
I do my own changes at 6000 miles, Mobil 1 and Toyota filter, oil and filter changes are way cheaper than engine changes. Like everyone says tons of threads about this topic, Car Care nut discusses several models and oil changes, not just GDI, he is a proponent of 5k-6k interval oil changes, especially on the 4 cylinder 2.5 engines. It’s your car and your money. If you did almost exclusive highway then the 10k oil change would be more possible. The city and highway mix is the factor which reduces oil life more, accompanied with cold weather warm ups. I have a 2014 ES350.
unlike other people just listening to car care nut, I’ve had my oil tested multiple times at 5, 10, 12k miles and determine that my car can safely do 10k with plenty of life in oil left. This is specific to my driving style. I am using fram ultra oil filter and Mobil1 Extended Performance. My other car Honda 2.0t, is hard on oil and gets oil changes every 4-5k miles due to oil test results.
Old 03-28-23, 11:54 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,076 Likes on 700 Posts

I trust the manufacturer of my Lexus who says 10,000 miles. I am sure they would like more of my money by saying 5,000 or 7,500 miles. If you go out on thre web and search synthetic oil change interval the consensus is 7,500 to 15,000 miles. BMW recommends 15,000 miles.
bc6152 (03-28-23)
Old 03-28-23, 03:15 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

FYI Blackstone is 35 dollars for the test, so that’s a diy oil change for me. Car Care nut is a Toyota MTD technician. He is telling people constantly that some parts of the vvti system are very sensitive to sludge or broken down oil. The original poster now has a good idea why this topic is so back and forth. I’m from western NY, I now live in Fl, winter driving will dump more gas into your engine when cold during warm ups. Used motor oil is recycled, a friend who owned a shop in NY had a waste oil heater and would take all the used oil I could give him. There isn’t any crazy waste by changing your oil at 6k-7k miles, it’s your car and your money.
Old 03-28-23, 05:46 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

My 13 ES350 U/L had 160k on it when I sold it with Zero problems. I did 7.5k oil changes and I only believe in using the Factory Filters. I have some pics of a torn down internal problems 2GR engine from a Toyota dealer I saw about 4 months ago. You can change the oil at 3k or 20k. It depends on what you can tolerate with your car.

I think asking when should change oil is like asking how often do you buy new shoes that you wear? Will you get more internal wear changing oil at 10k? Yes you will. Will the motor let go? Likely not. Do you think you cant find any pervious gen Toyota/Lexus 3.5 V6 Cars and SUV's that had internal problems at 100K - 150K? Yes you can. They are right here in the Previous ES, RX, GS, IS CL forums and other models that use the 2GR motor. Would they have had those same problems of smoking or very high oil consumption if the oil had been changed constantly at 7k? Likely not.

Are there 250k plus 2GR's that had 10k changes, Yes there are. Will Lexus give you a new motor if it has internal wear failure at 145k if you changed the oil at 10K or 7K? Likely not. Did Lexus say the same engine back in the 2nd Gen IS, 5th Gen ES, 2nd and 3rd Gen RX and other should go to 10k oil changes? No they did not. It was 6k I think.

I change at 7.5k, I use Pennzoil only, 1 quart of Toyota oil every 2 changes mixed in. Toyota/Lexus Filter only, and I put the Magnetic drain plug in all my cars. I had a 2000 Lexus ES300 that you better had changed the oil at 4-5k in, and it went 290k before I sold it with no problems. Others had problems. At the end of the day I may be wasting my time at 7.5k. It's insurance to me. To quote bc6152 - "10k OCI is more than adequate for most... " On this one I agree with him.
bc6152 (03-28-23)
Old 03-29-23, 05:24 AM
tolian21
Advanced

A lot of theories and options, car care nut example
was for GDI engines, they are harder on oil. How about you test your oil to have some facts in hand. Its all just speculation without facts
Old 04-01-23, 02:41 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

There is no speculation that Oil does become contaminated with mileage.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Change interval ES 350 2018