ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Am I crazy to buy a 220k mike es350 2008?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 01:48 AM
loliwin55
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Am I crazy to buy a 220k mike es350 2008?

Someone is selling a 2008 es350 it looks very nice inside and out. Will this car take me another 100k miles ? There’s older ones not as nice with about half as many miles but the seller seems to really love the car and raves about how long they last. Shouod he have had some things replaced and all the service records if I’m too consider buying it ? I don’t wanna be the one stuck with all the repair bills.

also does it look to have the sticky dash problem by this photo?

Is this stick dash or just fade (from you that have experience ) or is it nothing

Last edited by loliwin55; 08-02-21 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-02-21, 03:18 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 221 Likes on 179 Posts

We had two recalls on our 07 - one to replace a VVT-i oil line ,and one for a melting dash board. The alternator and water pump should have been replaced by now. I would not get this case if those components have not been replaced. Also by this mileage, 4 of 6 ignition coils have failed and been replaced in our 07. The 08 should also be on it's third set of plugs. Since this is an expensive maintenance item because of how difficult it is to access the rear 3 plugs, I would want to see that this service was done recently, as the recommended replacement period is every 120K, but should really be done every 100K. AT should have been serviced by now also; I would check service records that the AT has had the ATF replaced or drain/refilled periodically. Asking price should be under 5K.
The following users liked this post:
Wilson2000 (08-04-21)
Old 08-02-21, 10:30 AM
bucfan22
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

At the end of the day, how much is it. This car if well cared for sure can take you another 100k miles but all parts do wear and tear and certainly cost money to replace or fix.
I would agree with chuyrobles, would not pay $5k for it.
Old 08-02-21, 11:37 AM
loliwin55
Pit Crew

Default It’s 5500

It’s 5500 he is not willing to adjust the price at all. He listed it yesterday and said he has a few intrrrsted. He had the dash fixed during the recall. He says he doesn’t have the paper service history and I would have to get it after I purchase the car. When I started asking about the service history he got kinds testy and said maybe this car isn’t for me and I should find sbetter one. Just cuz I’m asking questions about a 220k mike car. I don’t wanna buy a daily driver that won’t work in 5K miles lol. He said he won’t give me the vin cuz “too many scams”. Kind of a red flag but the car is pretty clean I’ll try and upload some photos
Old 08-02-21, 07:07 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by loliwin55
When I started asking about the service history he got kinds testy and said maybe this car isn’t for me and I should find better one.
Time to walk. When I sold my 1994 ES 200K+miles, I had the thick stack of records spread out on the workbench. In my case, the father of the buyer, could not get the money out of his pocket fast enough! It is up to the seller to prove why their car worth buying.
The following users liked this post:
TSoks (11-21-22)
Old 08-02-21, 07:28 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

It’s 5500 he is not willing to adjust the price at all. He listed it yesterday and said he has a few intrrrsted. He had the dash fixed during the recall. He says he doesn’t have the paper service history and I would have to get it after I purchase the car. When I started asking about the service history he got kinds testy and said maybe this car isn’t for me and I should find sbetter one. Just cuz I’m asking questions about a 220k mike car. I don’t wanna buy a daily driver that won’t work in 5K miles lol. He said he won’t give me the vin cuz “too many scams”. Kind of a red flag but the car is pretty clean I’ll try and upload some photos
Don't do it. Look for something better. Even if you spend an extra grand or two, you can find something under 200k miles and won't have to deal with belligerent people.
Old 08-02-21, 09:36 PM
loliwin55
Pit Crew

Default Ended up getting it !

Lol I went to chekx it out. The guy ended up being very nice and seems to love the car and care a lot about it. He didn’t service it at the dealer but used the same private mechanic the car seems like new so I couldn’t walk away from it. I ended up getting it for 5. Engine seems strong ac very cold new dash no creaks , susoendsion seems , ok I guess (we will see ). Looks brand new except for a couple years in drivers side I’ll upload photos soon , so far I’m happy hopefully it lasts lol. Thx for all the info and opinions i took it all into account , I can’t believe I bought a 220k car , but hey it’s a Toyota !
Old 08-03-21, 12:37 AM
loliwin55
Pit Crew

Default Ver strenge

So I plugged in my vin to Lexus website. He said he didn’t take it to delete for service but it has a complete service history. He always did the recommended services until the last 10k Miles shown below. What do you guys think about this ? You think all this is needed? Or is it just something suggest at such high mileage ( same stuff was done around 100k right )
Service: BOOT, DRIVE AXLE - REPLACE
Description: BOOT, DRIVE AXLE - REPLACE ~|~ ~|~,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE
Service: COVER, FRONT - ENGINE TIMING - REPLACE
Description: COVER, FRONT - ENGINE TIMING - REPLACE ~|~ ~|~,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE
Service: INSPECT BRAKE PADS AND/OR LININGS, ROTORS AND/OR DRUMS
Description:
Service: PERFORM COMPLIMENTARY ALIGNMENT INSPECTION
Description:
Service: PERFORM COURTESY CAR WASH
Description:
Service: PERFORM FOUR WHEEL ALIGNMENT
Description: PERFORM FOUR WHEEL ALIGNMENT ~|~ ~|~,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE
Service: RACK AND PINION, STEERING - REPLACE
Description: RACK AND PINION, STEERING - REPLACE ~|~ ~|~,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE
Service: REPLACE ENGINE OIL
Description:
Service: REPLACE ENGINE OIL FILTER
Description:
Service: RESET SERVICE INDICATOR
Description:
Service: ROAD TEST
Description:
Service: ROTATE TIRES
Description:
Service: SEAL, CRANKSHAFT - REAR MAIN - REPLACE
Description: SEAL, CRANKSHAFT - REAR MAIN - REPLACE ~|~ ~|~,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE
Service: SERVICE - 55,000 MILES
Description: SERVICE - 55,000 MILES ~|~SERVICE - 55,000 MILES ~|~ ~|~205074 COMPLETED 55K SERVICE
Old 08-03-21, 07:41 AM
bucfan22
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Already bought so just enjoy the car. Basic maintenance if needed. Its 220k miles. The more you look into fixing it the more it gets expensive soon.
front axle
ball joints.
Alternator,
water pump
shock absorption
spark plug/coil
brake rotor and pad
even tires are closed to 6-700...
any of those if needed replace gonna be in hundreds if not thousands.

Old 08-03-21, 02:13 PM
loliwin55
Pit Crew

Default No mention of trans service in 31 visits to dealer

There’s no mention besides check for trans leak on the whole 31 visit history of this Lexus. Do you think I should get a trans flush or a fluid change at minimum. I can’t imagine it has the original trans fluid after 220k miles ?? I’m sure Lexus checked it right ? I don’t even see a dip stick for it
Old 08-04-21, 06:25 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

220k and car is almost 15 yr old, And you asking for service records??? Its your right, you can ask…. If I was selling 15yr old car and some one asked, I would tell them to get lost also. Obviously car had maintenance if it still works
Old 08-04-21, 09:34 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

So I plugged in my vin to Lexus website. He said he didn’t take it to delete for service but it has a complete service history. He always did the recommended services until the last 10k Miles shown below. What do you guys think about this ? You think all this is needed? Or is it just something suggest at such high mileage ( same stuff was done around 100k right )
Service: BOOT, DRIVE AXLE - REPLACE
Description: BOOT, DRIVE AXLE - REPLACE ~|~ ~|~,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE
Service: COVER, FRONT - ENGINE TIMING - REPLACE
Description: COVER, FRONT - ENGINE TIMING - REPLACE ~|~ ~|~,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE
Service: INSPECT BRAKE PADS AND/OR LININGS, ROTORS AND/OR DRUMS
Description:
Service: PERFORM COMPLIMENTARY ALIGNMENT INSPECTION
Description:
Service: PERFORM COURTESY CAR WASH
Description:
Service: PERFORM FOUR WHEEL ALIGNMENT
Description: PERFORM FOUR WHEEL ALIGNMENT ~|~ ~|~,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE
Service: RACK AND PINION, STEERING - REPLACE
Description: RACK AND PINION, STEERING - REPLACE ~|~ ~|~,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE
Service: REPLACE ENGINE OIL
Description:
Service: REPLACE ENGINE OIL FILTER
Description:
Service: RESET SERVICE INDICATOR
Description:
Service: ROAD TEST
Description:
Service: ROTATE TIRES
Description:
Service: SEAL, CRANKSHAFT - REAR MAIN - REPLACE
Description: SEAL, CRANKSHAFT - REAR MAIN - REPLACE ~|~ ~|~,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE
Service: SERVICE - 55,000 MILES
Description: SERVICE - 55,000 MILES ~|~SERVICE - 55,000 MILES ~|~ ~|~205074 COMPLETED 55K SERVICE
Majority of those state “customer declined” @ 205k miles. Looks like he just paid for an oil change and tire rotation but they found leaks from the engine, axles, and steering rack - all common issues.
Old 08-04-21, 05:32 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 334 Posts

When I started asking about the service history he got kinds testy and said maybe this car isn’t for me and I should find sbetter one. Just cuz I’m asking questions about a 220k mike car.
Don't walk away...run! You can't scam someone with a VIN. This guy is full of it!
Old 08-04-21, 05:50 PM
tronimrich
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Seems like dude didn't really take care of the car and is getting it off his hands now that there are several thousand dollars worth of imminent work.. in other words just like most privately sold "as is" vehicles.

The timing cover leak is likely a "just deal with it" situation and top off oil when necessary. Not sure how problematic the rear seal leak is or could develop into, but is probably also a "just deal with it" situation where you have to monitor oil level and top off when necessary. There are some "stop leak" products you should look into but those usually only affect rubber gaskets and not the factory sealant which is your problem.

you could still have some value on your hands. The steering rack/pinion and the axles once replaced will make this car drive a lot better.. but those oil leaks will cost thousands to fix and combined cost more than the value of the car.

Last edited by tronimrich; 08-04-21 at 06:04 PM.