ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Battery Issues i think

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 09:48 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Battery Issues i think

I hope this is just a battery issue and not a other charging system issues.
On my 07 ES350
i had not had any issues with starting always starts right up thismorning i needed to use my jumper box to start the car i drove for about 20 minutes aorund the city and on the highway then stopped at the grocery store and when i got done shopping went out to the car and had to jump it again
drove home then drove on the highway about 30 minutes went to a shop where they just tested the battery and told me that the cold cranking amps where at like 375 which where to low but the guy only knew how to test the battery didnt test anything else said come back another time
i had to jump it again to start it then drove to the bar where i went inside for about several hours had to jump it when i got back into the car to come home tonight
i got home i shut the car off let it sit for a few moments then i went to start it and it took a moment but it started up then i shut it off and went to start it again it took a moment but it started i rememebr i had a option on my remote start drone mobile app where it would show me the volts of my battery so i check that and with the car on in park running idle it will give a 13.3 *** soon as i shut it off it drops down to a 10.1 volt while i am driving there are no lights that start flashing i dont have any loose of power i am wondering does this sound like its just the battery ? im going to take it to the dealership and hope they can check it tomorrow and not make me wait all weekend to find out whats going on. the battery is under warrantybut its pro reated so its where the dealership will charge me like 100-125 for there 165 dollar battery if thats the case
but i cant figured out how come it would not start at all without jumping all day and now i got home and it started not once not twice but 3 times right after i got home
but i think i remember when the alternator went bad back in 2014 all the light son the dash started to light up and would blink but im not having that issues now
Old 06-15-19, 12:07 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

You need a new battery, 24F.
Old 06-15-19, 05:31 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Average battery life is 5 years. Short drives kill them sooner. After sitting over night a good battery would read 12.6 volts . If lower then that you most likely have a bad battery. The alternator in today's cars is meant to maintain the battery charge buy it's primary function is to supply power to the car and it's options. If the battery is less the 5 years old I would have it charged by a min. of a 10 amp charger. After fully charged and resting for an hour you should see 12.6 v or better. Next is the alternator output. You should see 13.5 v to 14.4 v during normal use. If lower either the battery is bad and can't hold a charge or the charging system has a problem. The battery seems to be the issue here.
Old 06-15-19, 02:14 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

thanks guys

Last edited by ThumperPup; 06-15-19 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 05:46 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

with my drone mobile app and remote start how it tells me what the battery volts are is this going to be acurate or is it going to be inacurate but close since im assuming they did not run a wire directly to the battery since id ont see anyting direct to the battery for powering .
i do see that with the battery i replaced today
if i check my mobile app when the vehcile is on and idling it is 13.2 13.3 when im driving it will actualy go to about 13.4 13.5 Volts when runing around 2k RPM ish if i rev it up on the highway and star tto make the alternator really work i see it goes up to like 13.6 but not higher if i have it off after shutting it off it goes to 12.5 and if its off and i turn the headlamps on it goes down to 11.8 volts
im wondering if this is not really going to be acruate since its not plugged direct to the battery or does it sound like i have a issue where the battery was bad but i also have a charging issues ?
Old 06-15-19, 06:05 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
with my drone mobile app and remote start how it tells me what the battery volts are is this going to be acurate or is it going to be inacurate but close since im assuming they did not run a wire directly to the battery since id ont see anyting direct to the battery for powering .
i do see that with the battery i replaced today
if i check my mobile app when the vehcile is on and idling it is 13.2 13.3 when im driving it will actualy go to about 13.4 13.5 Volts when runing around 2k RPM ish if i rev it up on the highway and star tto make the alternator really work i see it goes up to like 13.6 but not higher if i have it off after shutting it off it goes to 12.5 and if its off and i turn the headlamps on it goes down to 11.8 volts
im wondering if this is not really going to be acruate since its not plugged direct to the battery or does it sound like i have a issue where the battery was bad but i also have a charging issues ?
If you got a new battery go have it charged with a battery CHARGER until it is completely charged. Almost all new batteries off the shelf are not fully charged even though the store/dealer says so. The alternator is not sufficient enough to charge the battery to full capacity. Your BT app reads the battery voltage that is monitored by the ECU so unless you have a bad app it should be reading correctly.
Old 06-15-19, 06:20 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jagtoes
If you got a new battery go have it charged with a battery CHARGER until it is completely charged. Almost all new batteries off the shelf are not fully charged even though the store/dealer says so. The alternator is not sufficient enough to charge the battery to full capacity. Your BT app reads the battery voltage that is monitored by the ECU so unless you have a bad app it should be reading correctly.

how long would it take to get a full charge ? the dealership did not claim it was fully charged they just prorated the warrnaty since it was a lexus battery that had a 84month warranty they prorated for the years that i have had it
im wondeirng how long will it take to charge it because i for medical reasons dont want to be at home without a car and then rely on someone else for a entire day so i could go to a auto parts store or somewhere and take the battery out have them put it on a charger have it charged completlybut i would have to find somthing to do so wondering with a new battery thats not dead what would i look at like maybe 2 or 3 hours or would it still need a full overnight charge on a charger ?

if i where to buy this one would this work ?
https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-Motorcycle/dp/B07NVHBPDV/ref=sr_1_13?crid=15CNIRO0SVOL6&keywords=car%2Bbattery%2Bcharger&qid=1560648041&s=gateway&sprefix=car%2Bbattery%2Bchar%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-13&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-Motorcycle/dp/B07NVHBPDV/ref=sr_1_13?crid=15CNIRO0SVOL6&keywords=car%2Bbattery%2Bcharger&qid=1560648041&s=gateway&sprefix=car%2Bbattery%2Bchar%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-13&th=1

Last edited by ThumperPup; 06-15-19 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 08:15 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
how long would it take to get a full charge ? the dealership did not claim it was fully charged they just prorated the warrnaty since it was a lexus battery that had a 84month warranty they prorated for the years that i have had it
im wondeirng how long will it take to charge it because i for medical reasons dont want to be at home without a car and then rely on someone else for a entire day so i could go to a auto parts store or somewhere and take the battery out have them put it on a charger have it charged completlybut i would have to find somthing to do so wondering with a new battery thats not dead what would i look at like maybe 2 or 3 hours or would it still need a full overnight charge on a charger ?

if i where to buy this one would this work ?
https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Ba...1&sr=8-13&th=1
You would need a 10 amp or larger battery charger. It would take no more then 4 hours and can be done in the car at night.