ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

PLEASE HELP: 2007 ES350 - Outer tie rod damage and side mix up? WTFWTFWTF!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-18, 02:29 PM
vslsub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry PLEASE HELP: 2007 ES350 - Outer tie rod damage and side mix up? WTFWTFWTF!?

TLDR: Damage to RFouter tie rod, small leak from boot area. Mechanic says the outer tie rods were mixed up and installed backwards.... Left is on the Right. Right is on the Left. Need more parts....WTF?????
-
-
-
  1. Visited Lexus dealer for recall service (and many other fixes in past). They recommended brake pad, rotors, and CV boot changes.
  2. SHOP1 to fix.
  3. Lexus Dealer for 90K mile service, said right front outer tie rod was damaged from SHOP1 work-- end of explanation
  4. SHOP1 - WTF, no we didn't break anything, slight leak from end boot piece(?) could be from anywhere. Cheapish fix
  5. SHOP2 - Second opinion, Yes/Damage... Maybe/SHOP1 fault
  6. SHOP2 - Ordered part and put car up to install new RFO tie rod & boot... WTF - "Your tie rods are actually switched, and installed on the wrong sides. Left is on the right. Right is on the Left..... so we have the wrong part."

ME - WTF, WTF, WTF!? How did this all happen? How was this missed by EVERY SHOP IN THE LAST possibly 11 YEARS? Did my car come from the factory like this? What may have caused this?
Old 04-20-18, 02:38 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

It just sounds like you've had an incompetent mechanic(s).
Old 04-20-18, 03:12 PM
vslsub
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXGS
It just sounds like you've had an incompetent mechanic(s).

Very possible. I hope not, but maybe?

Had pretty good experiences with the local Lexus service department. Other than being over priced as most dealers are, they've been on the up and up. The repair/service department seems to be better regarded than their sales for other people.

As far as SHOP1 and SHOP2.... they are the two most well regarded shops in town - price, service, dependability - and most people rave about them. High high percentage rave about them. My personal interaction with them outside of this issue have been positive, pretty much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All this to say, I wish I could easily just say the mechanics are idiots... maybe I should get a 4th opinion? *sigh*
Old 04-20-18, 03:15 PM
bucfan22
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What happened already happened, not much you can complaint to shop1. If they do brake pad, rotor and cv boot change, unlikely they need to touch the Outer Tie Rod anyway to damage it.
Regardless of what outer tie rods installed on your car, if they are damage, shop2 order a set of Outer Tie Rod, they should have the correct parts anyway, so their explanation is kind of bs.
I dont know about RFO Outer tie rod, but i just bought a set from amazon. Moog ES80602 Right, and Moog ES80603 for Left. both cames with a letter L or R on it. and they are not expensive.
Old 04-20-18, 03:24 PM
vslsub
Driver School Candidate

RE: damage

Lexus says it was SHOP1....SHOP2 explained that while the damage isn't likely a direct cause in fixing those problems by SHOP1... the space/technique/tools used by SHOP1 *very likely could* have done the damage... but SHOP2 would not say definitely (and tried to backpedal more once I told him it was SHOP1).

But I wasn't and still am not adamant I can blame this on SHOP1..... just fugg..... the mystery only deepens with the mismatched ends.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: Changing 1 or 2 sides & parts availability

SHOP 2 was originally only going to change one side, RFO (Right Front Outer) tie rod.

But you bring up a good point. @ SHOP2 it was the owner/manager that suggested and quote/estimate me to only change the one side. His worker was really surprised and suggested to get both left and right done (which I totally understand, and think is probably best)... but he didn't want to override the owner and only ordered parts for one side.

Last edited by vslsub; 04-20-18 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-20-18, 03:33 PM
vslsub
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bucfan22
What happened already happened, not much you can complaint to shop1. If they do brake pad, rotor and cv boot change, unlikely they need to touch the Outer Tie Rod anyway to damage it.
Regardless of what outer tie rods installed on your car, if they are damage, shop2 order a set of Outer Tie Rod, they should have the correct parts anyway, so their explanation is kind of bs.
I dont know about RFO Outer tie rod, but i just bought a set from amazon. Moog ES80602 Right, and Moog ES80603 for Left. both cames with a letter L or R on it. and they are not expensive.
They are not expensive, out of 4 sites, I have seen OEM Tie Rod assemblies for roughly 50-60 bucks. Pretty sure it is the right part, but not 100% sure.