ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

TPMS and P0606

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-18, 08:43 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TPMS and P0606

Hello! My TPMS light came one over a week ago and I did check all the tires (including the spare and the spare was low). However after I filled up the spare and checked all the pressures the TPMS light won't go out. On start up it would flash for about a minute and then go to solid. I figured it must be the battery in the sensors (since it has been about 11 years!!!) so I ordered densos from Rockauto and am waiting for Costco to do them. From my previous search, it appears that the OEM TPMS sensors might be either pacific or siemans but Costco uses Dill. Both times I went to Costco they kept telling me they were out of stock!! Yes I also saw the thread about how these Densos might not be read via third party software but hopefully Costco has the adaptor or Techstream or something similar to get the IDs into the ECM.

Anyways my question is can the TPMS light cause the code P0606 light to come on? Someone mentioned that this code is an effect code and it is probably caused by something else. Also from my searches in this forum it appears there were two members who had that (with another code) and it turned out to be the B2O2 sensor. Just want to get an update in case someone else has the issues Im having now. Regardless I'll post back. Thanks for any feedback!
-Charlie
Old 01-17-18, 08:58 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

One of the sensors are dead. With the new sensor you will solve TPMS problem. Not sure about the P0606 though.
Old 01-17-18, 11:33 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
One of the sensors are dead. With the new sensor you will solve TPMS problem. Not sure about the P0606 though.
Thanks! Im hoping another and more specific code might pop up. For now that P0606 code is very generic and I also refuse to believe that it is my ECU/PCM. I will consider that a very last resort.
-Charlie
Old 01-17-18, 11:47 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

Is your CEL on?
Old 01-17-18, 12:16 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

P0606 is not related to TPMS. I would clear that code and see if it returns. That code is for engine ECU malfunction...

For TPMS, that is likely a defective sensor. Replacing it and resetting the codes and system should take care of it...
Old 01-17-18, 07:09 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Is your CEL on?
Yes

Originally Posted by igzy
P0606 is not related to TPMS. I would clear that code and see if it returns. That code is for engine ECU malfunction...

For TPMS, that is likely a defective sensor. Replacing it and resetting the codes and system should take care of it...
Just got back from Costco and the TPMS light is gone. I got the sensors from Rockauto and from what I can tell they were the same exact ones that came out of the car. I asked for the old ones back. The box says Denso 550 0103 on the outside but there is no DENSO on the actual sensor itself. Instead it says pacific, made in japan and it has the PMV-107J. It looks exactly like the old ones, down to the PMV-107J.

However my P0606 did come on again on the way home (I had cleared it right before dropping it off at Costco.) The I/M Status has the EVA and OS2 flashing in red so I am thinking it might be one of the A/F or OS sensors. I had replaced the one closest to the firewall last year so hopefully this might be something similar. But this code is so generic!!!
Old 01-18-18, 04:55 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Yeah, the P0606 can be triggered by anything communicating with ECM and ECM itself... After you replaced the O2 sensor, when monitoring it, was it still flashing in red? EVAP stuff is a pain to diagnose, I hope that's just a gas cap!
Old 01-18-18, 06:44 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Yeah, the P0606 can be triggered by anything communicating with ECM and ECM itself... After you replaced the O2 sensor, when monitoring it, was it still flashing in red? EVAP stuff is a pain to diagnose, I hope that's just a gas cap!
Last year when I got a different code, changing the O2 sensor did fix the CEL. This time with the P0606 I didn't change one yet. Im hoping to get info. I already have a OBD2 scanner from sears that can read ABS but don't believe can do live data. I might just get a OBD2 that can read live data.

I already read a post where someone had a P0606 and the dealer changed the ECM only later to find out it was an O2 sensor!! At least that guy had an extended warranty. I would be so mad if I plunked down $1200 for a non fix!! I will keep everyone posted. I might try the gas cap first because it is the cheapest.
Old 01-18-18, 07:36 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cl206
Last year when I got a different code, changing the O2 sensor did fix the CEL. This time with the P0606 I didn't change one yet. Im hoping to get info. I already have a OBD2 scanner from sears that can read ABS but don't believe can do live data. I might just get a OBD2 that can read live data.

I already read a post where someone had a P0606 and the dealer changed the ECM only later to find out it was an O2 sensor!! At least that guy had an extended warranty. I would be so mad if I plunked down $1200 for a non fix!! I will keep everyone posted. I might try the gas cap first because it is the cheapest.
Rather than guessing what part it is, I would get a scanner / reader to pin-point the problem rather than guessing and replacing unnecessary parts (my suggestion ). The repair manual is very vague about P0606 and the only part it tells to replace is the ECM. Otherwise, it could be any part that talks to the ECM, which is every part/sensor related to the engine control
Old 01-18-18, 08:42 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Rather than guessing what part it is, I would get a scanner / reader to pin-point the problem rather than guessing and replacing unnecessary parts (my suggestion ). The repair manual is very vague about P0606 and the only part it tells to replace is the ECM. Otherwise, it could be any part that talks to the ECM, which is every part/sensor related to the engine control
true but with that code, even the dealerships follow a flow chart and with their flow chart, they can be replacing the most expensive thing first!! That's why I am thinking about getting a second OBD reader that can read live data. BTW sometimes when this code P0606 shows up on my scanner, it says P0606 (1of2) generic stored. But when I try to see the 2of2, it also says P0606. Is it possible a better reader/scanner can scan more codes or is that just wrong thinking?
Old 01-18-18, 09:13 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

You'd need an OBD scanner that monitors ECM inputs/outputs, e.g. TechStream and look for any anomalies in those. I got a TechStream knock off (SW and USB cable) from Amazon for like $40-50, but haven't had a need for it yet, so can't tell if it's good or not . So far I only had "simple" codes that my Actron PocketScan reader was perfect for...
Old 01-30-18, 05:52 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

It's been just over 100 miles and several days but I am convinced the downstream O2 sensors fixed my P0606 CEL. I wasn't 100% sure which of the 2 downstream sensors might have been defective (it could have been both) but for $48 each from Rockauto, I took the chance.

Huge thanks to fellow members Local500 and TLPLexus. They both had the P0606 code and I believe waited for another code to pop up (and I believe that took several week to more than a month) I didn't want to wait.

I did a lot of research and it is rather ridiculous that the first thing Toyota recommends is to change out the ECU. I can tell you in all my limited research I don't remember seeing anyone who got the P0606 code fixed by changing out the ECU.

-Charlie