ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

what to replace when transmission is out ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-17, 10:14 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default what to replace when transmission is out ?

So my Service Contract is paying for a used transmission to be put in they are covering all the related gaskets and fluids for the transmission along with a used transmission that is a high mile one but about half the miles that i currently have.

What else should i ask the shop to look at when its out that should probably be replaced that is easier to do when its out or can only be done when its out ?
Old 12-30-17, 01:52 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

ATF filter, no matter what.

If car has over 100K, consider replacing the trany and engine motor mounts, and water pump.
Old 12-30-17, 10:05 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
ATF filter, no matter what.

If car has over 100K, consider replacing the trany and engine motor mounts, and water pump.
I called and left them a Msg at the dealer this morning asking them to call me because i wanted to double check and tell them to go over a few things once they get the trans out and do the work.

I rememer the Service Manager i was dealing with suggested when i asked him he said there is 1 gasket that is common to leak its a 30 dollar gasket and that it wouldn't cost me anything else for labor he would just have the guy have it done when he has it out but its something on the engine i think or engine related maybe i miss understood him but he said it can only be done when the trans is out so he is oging ot do that i belive the service contract company already aproved for the trans filter to be replaced along with the 8 or 9 qts of fluid and a flush of the tranmission once its in.

The W/P was replaced at about 70k with the updated OEM water pump
however now iwth 191k i will ask them to look at it again if it needs to be repalced the service contract will most likely cover that also

i will have them check out the trans mounts
Old 12-30-17, 10:12 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The gasket he is referring to is the rear main gasket, and yes that should definitely be replaced.
Old 12-30-17, 04:45 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

I believe that's the front seal where the torque converter slides into the transmission. Looks to be # 90311-A0010. There are also the seals where the CV shafts slide into the transmission; minus as well replace those also.
Old 12-30-17, 08:53 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Can I ask if you have ever replaced the atf during the time that you have had the car?
Old 12-30-17, 10:27 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Confirm the engines rear main seal and pan are not leaking. If the rear main is damp, now is the time to do it.

Make certain they flush the cooler lines before new trans is installed. But ya, on replacement trans, confirm the front pump seal is good and not leaking. They pull the TC to see it, and if doing this, they can dump most of the fluid from the T/C. If they pull the pan and drop the filter, the trans begins the second half of its new life with 90% fresh fluid.

Thats what comes to mind....
Old 12-31-17, 07:26 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
Can I ask if you have ever replaced the atf during the time that you have had the car?

Yes i have the AT fluid services every 60 to 80k in every car i have no matter what the manufacturer recommends
Old 12-31-17, 07:29 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Confirm the engines rear main seal and pan are not leaking. If the rear main is damp, now is the time to do it.

Make certain they flush the cooler lines before new trans is installed. But ya, on replacement trans, confirm the front pump seal is good and not leaking. They pull the TC to see it, and if doing this, they can dump most of the fluid from the T/C. If they pull the pan and drop the filter, the trans begins the second half of its new life with 90% fresh fluid.

Thats what comes to mind....
​​​​​​
am i understanding the that they have to pull the TC to replace the FIlter ? or are you saying once the Filter is removed then they pull the TC ?
I always thought the TC was built inside of the A/T.
Old 12-31-17, 12:32 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

No. He is saying to access the front seal, the TC must be pulled out. And once the TC is pulled out, they can dump the ATF inside the TC. And by replacing the ATF filter, most of the ATF fluid will have been removed from the AT.

One reason to replace the ATF filter now is that engine and tranny must be lifted on the driver side to access two pan bolts in order to remove the ATF pan.
Old 01-01-18, 01:03 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
No. He is saying to access the front seal, the TC must be pulled out. And once the TC is pulled out, they can dump the ATF inside the TC. And by replacing the ATF filter, most of the ATF fluid will have been removed from the AT.

One reason to replace the ATF filter now is that engine and tranny must be lifted on the driver side to access two pan bolts in order to remove the ATF pan.
Ah ok cool thank you fir this info I will call the service department on Tuesday and make sure they do that
Old 01-03-18, 10:29 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

i was reading through the warranty that the vendor is giving with the tranmission and called them up to find out that they will void the warranty if the strainer filter assembly is not changed out also when the trans is installed
so then i called back to the service contract and they looked into this more
so i wont have to pay out of pocket for the filter or additional labor for this to be done
They have added this part onto3 the claimToyota Part No.: 35330-33050

STRAINER ASSY, VALVE BODY OIL
its really confusing why they don't call it a filter and they call it a strainer assy valve body even though it is essentially the filter
Old 01-03-18, 12:02 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

i got the vin number of the car the replacment trans came out of
i went to check service history and build date and apparently it was build in the same month and year as mine, however, this thing seems to have had bad luck
like a few months after the airbag recall was completed it got totaled
Old 01-18-18, 02:41 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

So last week the dealership got the trans in and all the work completed to only find out the tran that the Service company sent them was bad it has a noisy pump so now after the service contract had already spent like 1500 -1600 on the labor and 1400 on the trans
they work is getting completed all over again
since they are paying for it all over agian also now jsut waiting on the next trans to be delivered either end of this week or early next week they said
then they start all over again. its annoying but atleast its getting done and only cost me 100 dollars for the deductible

i only wish that my contract was not expiring in 900 more miles and that they would sell me a new contract however since i moved to utah from florida my contract company will cover current contracts in the state of utah for people who have moved however they wont sell a contract in the state of utah do to state regulations
Old 01-18-18, 05:07 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

May I ask how many miles your car had and did the transmission just quite?

Quick Reply: what to replace when transmission is out ?