ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Battery question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-17, 09:57 AM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery question...

I just replaced my battery in February of 2017. I park in a high rise building in Chicago with valet parking. I
was out of town for 10 days. When they got my car, they said it started right up. They shut it off when they're in
the Elevator. Typically I am there to get in the running vehicle, Yesterday they shut it off again because I was
loading things before I left. It would not start when I was ready to leave. They had a generator and were able to
charge it. All that said, it is not unusual for me to be away for two or three weeks AND the car start right up with
NO battery problem. Do you think the third start was what caused the dead battery? Thanks! Thanks
Old 10-30-17, 10:19 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

It sux about your battery situation... Leaving our cars 10-14 days off and with short trips afterwards does not allow the battery to charge to its full capacity, and will get you these no starts. If I were you, I would get a portable quick booster or cables, and keep it in the trunk for situations like this. I have cables in mine...
Old 10-30-17, 06:37 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

I drove for over 20 minutes after they charged the battery. Is that long enough? If not, how long?
Old 11-01-17, 02:44 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

You need to run a load test on the battery to ensure it can hold a charge properly. If it's OK, charge it then run a load test on your charging system. At idle and engine warmed up, voltage output should read 13.5 to 14.5 volts. Then turn on headlights to high; fan on high (do not turn on the AC); and wipers on high. Rev engine to 1500 rpm; voltage drop should be no more than half a volt. Alternatively, most auto stores (I know Auto Zone and O'Reillys will do it) will check the battery and charging system at no charge.

20 minutes driving time may not be sufficient to charge a fully drained battery. But, I couldn't say how long it would take; would depend on battery type and charging system output. Now that the battery has drained down that low, you can count on having lost about 20% of its longevity.

May not be a bad idea to invest in a trickle charger if the garage will let you plug it in. But first test the battery and charging system.

Last edited by chuyrobles; 11-01-17 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-01-17, 04:44 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Default Battery issue

I've been talking to my Garage Manager and he suggested the trickle thing too. He indicated that they would need to run
an extension cord. Thinking that Costco might be the place to get it. I'm seriously
thinking that I should go to the dealership and they could test the battery ans the Alternator too. Battery is under
warranty so if it needs replacing, they will do it.
Any suggestions about the specific trickle device? Thanks
Old 11-01-17, 06:29 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexi66
I've been talking to my Garage Manager and he suggested the trickle thing too. He indicated that they would need to run
an extension cord. Thinking that Costco might be the place to get it. I'm seriously
thinking that I should go to the dealership and they could test the battery ans the Alternator too. Battery is under
warranty so if it needs replacing, they will do it.
Any suggestions about the specific trickle device? Thanks
You don't want a trickle device or charger but smart charger similar to the Ctek line of smart chargers. Also get the battery check as well as the alternator . If your battery wouldn't start the car a 20 minute drive won't charge it. The alternators function is not to fully charge the battery but to maintain it's charge as well as providing enough power to keep all of the electrical functions working on the car.
Old 11-03-17, 01:47 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

It can be said that most smart chargers are trickle chargers. A trickle charger is one designed to be left on a battery for a long period of time. Historically, it referred to a low amp output charger.

Battery Tender has a nice line of smart trickle charges. Look at 021-0123. I think I remember seeing a BT model at a local Costco a few months back but I didn't notice which model it was.

Last edited by chuyrobles; 11-03-17 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-07-17, 02:33 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jagtoes
You don't want a trickle device or charger but smart charger similar to the Ctek line of smart chargers. Also get the battery check as well as the alternator . If your battery wouldn't start the car a 20 minute drive won't charge it. The alternators function is not to fully charge the battery but to maintain it's charge as well as providing enough power to keep all of the electrical functions working on the car.
i took it to the dealership since I needed an oil change anyway. They tested it and it holds a charge. They also put it on
their charger for about 20 minutes. I'm on the hunt for a smart charger...maybe at Costco, That said, exactly what's the difference between the trickle charger and the smart charger? TIA
Old 11-07-17, 06:03 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

The internet is a wonderful thing. Look up smart chargers and it will explain the differences.
Old 02-24-18, 10:11 PM
eroncone
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alternator

Originally Posted by Lexi66
i took it to the dealership since I needed an oil change anyway. They tested it and it holds a charge. They also put it on
their charger for about 20 minutes. I'm on the hunt for a smart charger...maybe at Costco, That said, exactly what's the difference between the trickle charger and the smart charger? TIA
So did the dealership test your alternator?

How are things 3 months later?
Old 02-25-18, 02:05 AM
JetCat
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have become a big fan of the new "Smart Chargers" that have been out for a while now .... in my case I own many cars and several do not get driven that much ... my LS400 is one of them. I will share a video here from MercedesSource which is where I first learned of the CTEK Smart Chargers. I can hook-up my CTEK charger and walk away and not worry at all that I will over charge my battery ... if I happen to start my car and I hear that it kinda sounds a little weak ... no problem; I just hook-up the CTEK and let it "do it's thing" ( which typically can take a few hours ) .... I swear I have come to love this thing. It is so cool ! ( the model I have is a CTEK 7002 )

I have charged many batteries for friends / family with my CTEK and I have found that it can take as long as 12 hours to do a charge the first time with it ... of course it really depends upon the condition of the battery to begin with. I have had very weak batteries come back to life again by using the "recondition mode". Essentially if a battery is really old, the CTEK will charge it and buy you some time so you can go get a new replacement ... and even then I will hit a new battery with the CTEK and see how it looks ... sometimes these brand new batteries sit on a shelf for a while, you know? The CTEK analyzes the battery so you can tell if there if any weakness ... and again, when using this charger you never have to worry about over charging .... it is great : )

I should mention that as an experiment I tried charging a battery that had been dead and sitting my my back yard for over a year. The CTEK did manage to get that old battery up to about 8.5 volts .... but no further ... and at that point the red indicator light came on which told me that battery was beyond repair ( I tried using the " Recondition Mode " ) .... on the other hand, I have treated several batteries that were very weak that I was able to get going again ..... so what I do these days is to just do a maintenance charge every so often just to keep things running smooth ... even with my daily driver .... --- hope this helps --- : )

Old 02-25-18, 09:42 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AGM Batteries can solve most if not all battery "woes"

After having multiple issues with replacement batteries, I researched (to the point of "beating a dead horse to death) this issue. My 09 V6 Camry has the same engine and takes the same size 24F battery as the ES350. I found that conventional battery technology has not kept pace with electrical demands of modern cars. AGM batteries have been in use for military and marine operations for over 30 years.

"Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM)-Learn what differentiate AGM from other lead acid battery types

AGM technology became popular in the early 1980s as a sealed lead acid battery for military aircraft, vehicles and UPS to reduce weight and improve reliability. The sulfuric acid is absorbed by a very fine fiberglass mat, making the battery spill-proof. This enables shipment without hazardous material restrictions. The plates can be made flat to resemble a standard flooded lead acid pack in a rectangular case; they can also be wound into a cylindrical cell.

AGM has very low internal resistance, is capable to deliver high currents on demand and offers a relatively long service life, even when deep cycled. AGM is maintenance free, provides good electrical reliability and is lighter than the flooded lead acid type. While regular lead acid batteries need a topping charge every six months to prevent the buildup of sulfation, AGM batteries are less prone to sulfation and can sit in storage for longer before a charge becomes necessary. The battery stands up well to low temperatures and has a low self-discharge."

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._glass_mat_agm

Not everyone sells them in size 24F so go on line to get the best deals ... usually Pep Boys or Advanced Auto. I paid $50 more a 24F AGM than a 24F Wal-Mart conventional with a three year replacement warranty.

Not that my soap opera matters, but here is a chronicle of my repeated battery failure experiences from 2015 to 2018
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...arranty-2.html

While the OP's battery is still under warranty, I am posting this message here in case someone wants to significantly reduce the chance of ever being stranded and could benefit from my experience and research !!!

Last edited by Paul3637; 02-25-18 at 10:00 AM.