ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Failed O2 sensor and improved mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-16, 10:02 PM
rwmnau
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed O2 sensor and improved mileage?

I've got a bit of an odd situation and I'm hoping I can get some validation. I've got a 2007 ES350 with about 72K miles on it - it's been super-reliable so far and I haven't had any issues. About a week ago, my VSC warning came on and the local Autozone read the code as a O2 sensor (bank 2, I think). He said that my mileage wouldn't be great, but that I didn't need to rush to fix it and could have it replaced the next time it's in for service without any risk to the engine.

However, my mileage actually appears to have gotten a bit better since the failure - I've had it about two years and always had just under 24mpg (it's at 23.8 since last reset a while ago), but the current tank (my first fill-up since the VSC appeared) is at 26.2mrg - almost 10% higher than normal. I've only put about 75 miles on the tank, but it's been my normal driving to work, so I'd expect my normal mileage.

Has anybody else had an O2 failure and noticed this? Could it be an indicator that something isn't tuned properly or that my sensor has been failed for a while? FWIW, the VSC code disappears every few days for 20 miles or so and everything looks normal, only to return later in the day - not sure if that means anything either, but worth noting.

Thanks for any input!
Old 07-24-16, 08:20 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been posting here about the same issue that you are having: O2B2 sensor problem. I have my car on jack stands right now and currently in the process of removing that sensor. I got the electrical socket removed but couldn't turn the sensor to get it out. Will attempt this later this week. My mechanic wanted to charge too much money for this job.

My MPG around 6 months ago dropped from 25mpg to 23.5mpg. I had replaced the tires then and thought it was the tires causing the problem. I am still not sure what caused it but the lights are on all over my dashboard and will disappear every now and then. Enjoy your better mileage since you are not badly affected. Not sure what the long term issue is going to be but it might just be inefficiency with fuel/air mixture (not optimal mpg). I have lived with this problem for a few months already.

Originally Posted by rwmnau
I've got a bit of an odd situation and I'm hoping I can get some validation. I've got a 2007 ES350 with about 72K miles on it - it's been super-reliable so far and I haven't had any issues. About a week ago, my VSC warning came on and the local Autozone read the code as a O2 sensor (bank 2, I think). He said that my mileage wouldn't be great, but that I didn't need to rush to fix it and could have it replaced the next time it's in for service without any risk to the engine.

However, my mileage actually appears to have gotten a bit better since the failure - I've had it about two years and always had just under 24mpg (it's at 23.8 since last reset a while ago), but the current tank (my first fill-up since the VSC appeared) is at 26.2mrg - almost 10% higher than normal. I've only put about 75 miles on the tank, but it's been my normal driving to work, so I'd expect my normal mileage.

Has anybody else had an O2 failure and noticed this? Could it be an indicator that something isn't tuned properly or that my sensor has been failed for a while? FWIW, the VSC code disappears every few days for 20 miles or so and everything looks normal, only to return later in the day - not sure if that means anything either, but worth noting.

Thanks for any input!
Old 07-24-16, 08:23 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

One more thing, through the live data, my obd2 code reader shows that my O2B2 voltage drops out of range occasionally. I believe the code was logged when it was out of acceptable range for longer than the specified time. Otherwise, it seems to be functioning properly. So the sensor might still be working for you but it may just fail for seconds at a time.

Thanks for any input!
Old 07-24-16, 08:31 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

One more thing, through the live data, my obd2 code reader shows that my O2B2 voltage drops out of range occasionally. I believe the code was logged when it was out of acceptable range for longer than the specified time. Otherwise, it seems to be functioning properly. So the sensor might still be working for you but it may just fail for seconds at a time. <br /><br />
I've got a bit of an odd situation and I'm hoping I can get some validation. I've got a 2007 ES350 with about 72K miles on it - it's been super-reliable so far and I haven't had any issues. About a week ago, my VSC warning came on and the local Autozone read the code as a O2 sensor (bank 2, I think). He said that my mileage wouldn't be great, but that I didn't need to rush to fix it and could have it replaced the next time it's in for service without any risk to the engine.<br /><br />However, my mileage actually appears to have gotten a bit better since the failure - I've had it about two years and always had just under 24mpg (it's at 23.8 since last reset a while ago), but the current tank (my first fill-up since the VSC appeared) is at 26.2mrg - almost 10% higher than normal. I've only put about 75 miles on the tank, but it's been my normal driving to work, so I'd expect my normal mileage.<br /><br />Has anybody else had an O2 failure and noticed this? Could it be an indicator that something isn't tuned properly or that my sensor has been failed for a while? FWIW, the VSC code disappears every few days for 20 miles or so and everything looks normal, only to return later in the day - not sure if that means anything either, but worth noting.<br /><br />Thanks for any input!