ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My bride saw a 2016

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 03:38 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Default My bride saw a 2016

Well my bride saw a 2016 ES yesterday and now she wants us to go see what the dealers have . She liked the new front end and the changes in the interior. So we'll have to wait a month or two to go to our dealer and look at and test drive the updated model. I've just turned 40K on my 2010 so maybe it's time to start looking at something newer. Seems the toughest thing about retirement is learning to spend instead of trying to save every nickel. If I go for an new ES someone is going to get a really clean 2010
Old 02-05-16, 06:25 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

If you do decide to part with your 2010, send me a PM before you do. I wasn't planning on buying till sometime this summer, but sounds like your ES is a creampuff!

I test drove a 2016 ES recently, I too love the new front end. I'd call it an improvement over the 2013 L Finesse styling.
Old 02-07-16, 12:26 PM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Seems the toughest thing about retirement is learning to spend instead of trying to save every nickel. If I go for an new ES someone is going to get a really clean 2010
I don't seem to have this problem at all since I retired. Just bought the wife a 2016 Highlander and I inherited her 2010 ES350 that she had only put a whole 45K on! It's such a cream puff that she hadn't even taken the protective film off the logo plate of the door sills? Still looks brand new but that will change since it will no longer be garaged. She's already ragging on me to get it washed more often!
Old 02-07-16, 06:04 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by lgb0250
I don't seem to have this problem at all since I retired. Just bought the wife a 2016 Highlander and I inherited her 2010 ES350 that she had only put a whole 45K on! It's such a cream puff that she hadn't even taken the protective film off the logo plate of the door sills? Still looks brand new but that will change since it will no longer be garaged. She's already ragging on me to get it washed more often!
My bride doesn't want another car for her as she won't part with her 89 Volvo with 357K on it. She thinks we should get a new car every 2 years now that we are retired. I don't much care as I have my convertible or truck to play with but she wants a touring car for our long weekend trips. We'll see where it goes . So why don't you park it in the garage. Tell her you'll need to build a bigger garage if you don't have room.
Old 02-09-16, 06:33 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Not sure if it matters to you, but they are now making ESs in the US, but I am still seeing 2016s with J vin numbers. That beign said, I do like the look a lot more than the 13-15s, despite being minor. I saw one in this metallic orangish-brown color, it looked great in the sun with the dark wheels. I bring up the being made in the US thing as I mentioned it to my dad and his immediate response was "I guess next car will be a GS".
Old 02-10-16, 05:30 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Not sure if it matters to you, but they are now making ESs in the US, but I am still seeing 2016s with J vin numbers. That beign said, I do like the look a lot more than the 13-15s, despite being minor. I saw one in this metallic orangish-brown color, it looked great in the sun with the dark wheels. I bring up the being made in the US thing as I mentioned it to my dad and his immediate response was "I guess next car will be a GS".
I don't have a concern on where it's made. That never bother me even though I don't support unions but that's another topic. As for colors I'm pretty basic here with blue's or red's or green's but it depends on how it looks on a particular body style. There are 3-4 colors (which I don't consider a color) that I won't buy and that is Black , White , Gray or Silver. As I mentioned in other posts the ride followed by the style are the keys in the ES. Other then the LS none of the other Lexus bodies ride as well so they are out of the picture. The only downside I have had with the ES is that it is a front wheel drive platform and I would like it either in RWD or AWD which may detract from it's ride. Also note when I say ride I don't mean handling as to improve handling you need to stiffen the ride . So when winter ends and the potential of snow is over (I don't drive the ES in snow) we'll go see what the dealers have.
Old 02-10-16, 05:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't have a concern on where it's made. That never bother me even though I don't support unions but that's another topic. As for colors I'm pretty basic here with blue's or red's or green's but it depends on how it looks on a particular body style. There are 3-4 colors (which I don't consider a color) that I won't buy and that is Black , White , Gray or Silver. As I mentioned in other posts the ride followed by the style are the keys in the ES. Other then the LS none of the other Lexus bodies ride as well so they are out of the picture. The only downside I have had with the ES is that it is a front wheel drive platform and I would like it either in RWD or AWD which may detract from it's ride. Also note when I say ride I don't mean handling as to improve handling you need to stiffen the ride . So when winter ends and the potential of snow is over (I don't drive the ES in snow) we'll go see what the dealers have.
Would you consider a non-Lexus replacement?
Old 02-10-16, 07:42 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Would you consider a non-Lexus replacement?
Yes provided it's styling is to our liking. We also are comfortable with the size of the can and would not like to either go up or down in size. As i mentioned the other keys are smooth quiet ride. What have you got in mind.
Old 02-10-16, 01:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Yes provided it's styling is to our liking. We also are comfortable with the size of the can and would not like to either go up or down in size. As i mentioned the other keys are smooth quiet ride. What have you got in mind.
I was just wondering in general if there were any brands/models that might work. I've found some Audi's (A4 or A6) that are very solid and comfortable cars. They might ride a little firmer than the Lexus but their suspensions are compliant and not harsh. The new A4 coming this spring is said to be slightly larger than the current one but not sure exactly how much. Reliability has improved too.
Old 02-10-16, 06:31 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I was just wondering in general if there were any brands/models that might work. I've found some Audi's (A4 or A6) that are very solid and comfortable cars. They might ride a little firmer than the Lexus but their suspensions are compliant and not harsh. The new A4 coming this spring is said to be slightly larger than the current one but not sure exactly how much. Reliability has improved too.
My kid just got a 2015 A4 and it's not my brand of choice. This is the 3rd one and I do the servicing . Nice kid car but not for the bride and I . Besides they all burn oil and I have not been happy with that design flaw even when the redid the 2.0L in 2009. As for ride they are to harsh for us. Looked at an A6 but the newer ones are using the 2.0L engine and I'm not for that. I'll look at the Jag XE when it comes out but It may be to small for us. Not interested in MB or BMW or GM or Ford. I'm in no rush so we'll look in the spring and maybe something will work for us.
Old 02-13-16, 12:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Other then the LS none of the other Lexus bodies ride as well so they are out of the picture.
I had a 2010 ES same as yours, and you might be surprised to know that when I replaced it with the 2013 GS I actually thought the GS rode better. I was really concerned about the ride because like you I like ride biased cars, not handling biased cars, but the GS became one of my favorite cars out of the cars I've had.

Its firmer than the ES, so at low speeds it feels it, like when pulling out of a driveway or going over a speed bump, but once you're underway it actually feels much more solid and refined, more like the LS actually.

If the GS isn't for you, and you like a RWD layout or AWD and you want a ride biased car I would SERIOUSLY consider the new Hyundai Genesis. I loved the Genesis, its more substantial and refined than the ES, the ride reminds me a lot of the LS, and price wise its comparable to the ES. I like the refreshed 2016 ES too but I would have a hard time buying one over a Genesis.