ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Unlocking all doors with driverside handle??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-13, 10:53 AM
bnb2310
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unlocking all doors with driverside handle??

My 2011 ES 350 has auto locks as to when I touch the door handle, it unlocks the doors. However, the driver's door only unlocks the driver's door, whereas any other doors unlock all of the doors. Is there a way to make the driver's door handle unlock all of the doors?
Old 12-29-13, 12:36 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

under the personalization setting there is the cryptic option of

SMART (Smart access system with push-button start)

DOOR UNLOCK MODE (Entry door unlock mode)
default D-DOOR
Function that makes entry unlock operation available
option All / D-DOOR

i think the dealer needs to set it up using the smart key tool. Mine unlocks all when i open the drivers door by touching the handle, but only unlocks the drivers door when i press the smart key unlock once. When i press the smart key unlock twice it does all doors. That also is customizable i think.
Attached Files

Last edited by nevernu; 12-29-13 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 01:07 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I step 2 feet to the right and just put my hand in the rear door handle to open all of the doors.
Old 12-30-13, 01:35 PM
liquidz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's weird. There are two ways to unlock the car doors: 1) using the proximity sensors and door handles, and 2) remote key fob.

For the first method, my 2009 Lexus ES350 will unlock all doors regardless if it's the driver's door or any of the other three. I don't know if this was standard since I bought my car used. From looking at nevernu's guide, I don't see this feature allowed to be changed....

For the second method, the key fobs has two stages. 1st push unlocks the driver's door only. 2 consecutive pushes unlocks all the doors. This is where nevernu posted a customization guide that allows you to one-push and unlock all doors.
Old 12-30-13, 02:56 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I think both methods are customizable, see bold quoted from attached pdf.

Originally Posted by liquidz
That's weird. There are two ways to unlock the car doors: 1) using the proximity sensors and door handles, and 2) remote key fob.

For the first method, my 2009 Lexus ES350 will unlock all doors regardless if it's the driver's door or any of the other three. I don't know if this was standard since I bought my car used. From looking at nevernu's guide, I don't see this feature allowed to be changed....

DOOR UNLOCK MODE (Entry door unlock mode)
D-DOOR
Function that makes entry unlock operation available
All / D-DOOR

For the second method, the key fobs has two stages. 1st push unlocks the driver's door only. 2 consecutive pushes unlocks all the doors. This is where nevernu posted a customization guide that allows you to one-push and unlock all doors.

UNLOCK/2 OPER (Wireless unlock operated twice)
ON
This function unlocks the driver side door when UNLOCK is pressed once, and unlocks all doors when pressed twice. If set to OFF, pressing UNLOCK once unlocks all doors.
ON / OFF

Old 12-30-13, 02:58 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Default Imho ....

Originally Posted by liquidz

Lexus operating manuals suck! Just my 2 cents!
Old 12-30-13, 03:59 PM
MikePA
Rookie

The manual for my 2010 shows the following can be changed by using the Nav Screen. To find this, all it took was a search of the pdf for 'unlock doors'.

Opening driver's door unlocks all doors
Default: OFF
Customized: ON
Old 12-30-13, 05:06 PM
bnb2310
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, but what is "the pdf"?
Old 12-30-13, 05:40 PM
MikePA
Rookie

pdf = electronic version of the owner's manual available at the Lexus owners website.

EDIT: I attached the section of the manual I found it in.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
08_Customizing_U.pdf (97.1 KB, 2074 views)

Last edited by MikePA; 12-31-13 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-31-13, 04:57 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Lexus operating manuals suck! Just my 2 cents!
How so?

I had two ES350's and always seemed to find answers to what I was looking for. If not it was something obscure and I had to check around a bit. Can you imagine how big that thing would be if every eventuality was included?
Old 01-01-14, 06:07 AM
bnb2310
Driver School Candidate

Default Found it!

After looking at the pdf, I used the Nav screen and changed it, thanks!
Old 01-01-14, 07:13 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Am I assuming those of us without NAV can't change these settings? I'm not sure I'm interested in changing mine (for the all door unlock) but it would be nice to have the option.
Old 01-01-14, 08:54 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you dont have a nav, you have to go through the dealership to have it reprogrammed
Old 01-01-14, 12:37 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bnb2310
My 2011 ES 350 has auto locks as to when I touch the door handle, it unlocks the doors. However, the driver's door only unlocks the driver's door, whereas any other doors unlock all of the doors. Is there a way to make the driver's door handle unlock all of the doors?

Assume it's for safety...so you unlock the drivers door, but the other 3 doors are still locked in case you are in a public place where someone wants to do something nefarious. Just a thought.
Old 01-02-14, 08:02 AM
liquidz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bnb2310
After looking at the pdf, I used the Nav screen and changed it, thanks!
What?! You can change that function so easily on your 2011 Navigation screen? I can't do that on my 2009. Might be the different Navigation model (DVD vs hard drive model)

Do you mind sharing how you changed that option?

Thanks nevernu for clarifying my post. The PDF wasn't very clear or I wasn't reading it carefully.

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Assume it's for safety...so you unlock the drivers door, but the other 3 doors are still locked in case you are in a public place where someone wants to do something nefarious. Just a thought.
Yes, that would be true. But if someone malicious can't enter the car same time you are entering the car, they would be enraged and more harm will come to you

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
if you dont have a nav, you have to go through the dealership to have it reprogrammed
Yes, that would be true. However there are other tools you can get online that allows you to customize your own car settings. Here's the link.

Quick Reply: Unlocking all doors with driverside handle??