Help! Car won't stay on!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 11:49 AM
BoredInNC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michifan12
Hey Guys,

My dad has a 2007 UL ES350 with about 45k miles and lately it's been giving him some trouble. After he turns on the car (foot on the brake and green light lit on start button) the car turns on for a split second and shuts off right away. This will happen numerous times before the car finally turns on for good and he can engage the transmission into drive.

The problem is intermittent so the dealer won't take a look at it, but he's been stranded sitting in a parking lot for up to 30 mins before getting the car to stay on.

I've searched the forums and haven't seen anyone with a similar problem or a TSIB listed so I'm hoping someone here can help!

Thanks in advance!

Wow, I am having the exact same problem as of yesterday evening.
I live in Asheville, North Carolina. It was an unusually hot day yesterday. I guess about 90. I was leaving work and pressed the button, it turned green, the steering wheel started to move, then everything stopped and it went back into the normal off position. I pressed the button about 5 more times before it actually started. I was upset, so I called by closest Lexus dealer which is 2 hours away in Greenville and spoke to someone in service. My car is 500 miles out of warranty...figures.. he said it could be the starter, the battery or the even the computer. I had the starter and the battery checked today and they were fine, even though I do believe in bad spots in a starter. I searched all over the internet and have seen the possibility of a bad starter button or loose wiring to that button. I went home last night and tried to make it fail and it started up every single time. It never gets cold in the garage, so I don't know if this is a heat or cold issue. I am going to monitor it and if it happens again, I am going to record it... Please let me know if you fix your issue.........
Old 04-08-19, 02:43 PM
jack260
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure this is the problem, but it drove me crazy for a long time. My ES350 would do this intermittently until eventually, it was steady. It would start, run smoothly for about 1 second, then shut off. A code reader would show all ignition coils were bad, but in different orders. I solved the problem by unplugging the ignition coils one at a time, and tried to start it. When the bad coil was unplugged, it stayed running and ran on 5 cylinders. (I got lucky in that it was one of the front coils that was bad and I didn't have to remove the intake manifold to access the back 3 coils). It turns out that there's one line to sense a bad coil that is common to ALL coils. If a coil fails properly, it pulls that line down, and the computer compares it to the coil that was instructed to fire to come up with the code. But if it fails by pulling that line down permanently, the computer has no choice but to believe that all the coils are bad. It then shuts the fuel off and kills the engine.