Gas Pedal Fix for 2007 ES350

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 06:37 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the codes. I went back to the Lexus drivers
site and now it says there is no service history for either
of my cars. Site must be having problems.
Old 02-21-10, 06:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
Thanks for the codes. I went back to the Lexus drivers
site and now it says there is no service history for either
of my cars. Site must be having problems.
I looked at the site just now and it shows the same thing for my car too. As of Friday all of the history was there, so must be a problem with the site.
Old 02-23-10, 11:14 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just learned that one of the things that the ECU reprogramming does is...if you press BOTH the brake and gas pedal very hard the engine will shut down, e.g., shut down.
Old 02-23-10, 11:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jerfitz
I just learned that one of the things that the ECU reprogramming does is...if you press BOTH the brake and gas pedal very hard the engine will shut down, e.g., shut down.
The engine shouldn't shut down.That would be dangerous.I would think the throttle is cutoff when brakes are applied.Throttle override.
Old 02-23-10, 05:45 PM
Elex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by garsarno
Getting all of the recall done next Saturday, 2/27. They will modify the pedal, modify the floor surface in the driver's foot well, install a new override system that will cut the power in case of power and braking, replace the oil hose. The service rep told me that it will take approximately five hours to do. I am the first one at 7:15AM Saturday morning. Will drop off the car Friday night. Declined the loaner / she told me that they would wash the car and fill with gas as a courtesy for the inconvenience. She also said to bring as empty of gas as possible. I will comply.
Well, just for everyone's info, in case you run into what I did today. I took my car in for the oil line and accelerator pedal. After I picked it up and was driving away, I noticed a yellow light come on - that of the low fuel light. I called the service rep back to ask why the fuel had not been topped off and she said that they could do that but I had to ask for it to be done - she asked how much fuel I had and then went on to make a statement about how much of an imposition that would be. She made it sound like they only did this in rare cases.

I continually feel like I am going to end up in some anger management class over this car - I do not understand why promises are not kept. It really makes me wonder what level of service is done when something like this happens.

Yes I have 2 new really cheap all wheather floor mats, a ground off accelerator pedal, and 1 lump behind the pedal. I am also confused about the accelerator override - because I sure can't get mine to work. When I hold the accelerator and the brake, the rpms do not drop, as a matter of fact at one point the car downshifted. ?????

I really wish I wouldn't have bothered.
Old 02-23-10, 05:48 PM
pestleman0
Driver

Originally Posted by Elex
Well, just for everyone's info, in case you run into what I did today. I took my car in for the oil line and accelerator pedal. After I picked it up and was driving away, I noticed a yellow light come on - that of the low fuel light. I called the service rep back to ask why the fuel had not been topped off and she said that they could do that but I had to ask for it to be done - she asked how much fuel I had and then went on to make a statement about how much of an imposition that would be. She made it sound like they only did this in rare cases.

I continually feel like I am going to end up in some anger management class over this car - I do not understand why promises are not kept. It really makes me wonder what level of service is done when something like this happens.

Yes I have 2 new really cheap all wheather floor mats, a ground off accelerator pedal, and 1 lump behind the pedal. I am also confused about the accelerator override - because I sure can't get mine to work. When I hold the accelerator and the brake, the rpms do not drop, as a matter of fact at one point the car downshifted. ?????

I really wish I wouldn't have bothered.
Welcome to first class Lexus service. Don't hold down the brake and accelerator to often or you may break a motor mount.
Old 02-23-10, 06:13 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota/Lexus wants to do the "hack job" to my 07 ES and my wife's brand new 10 Highlander. They will not get their hands on either. They can take their free tank of gas and stick it where the sun don't shine.
Old 02-24-10, 07:03 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

MD350,

What about getting the ECU reprogramming and the new oil line for your ES350?
Old 02-24-10, 08:59 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

MD350,

What about getting the ECU reprogramming and the new oil line for your ES350?
Hi Jerfitz,

Yes, I would go for the ECU reprogramming. As to the new oil line, I was one of the lucky owners whose oil line broke prior to the recall. The car had to be towed and oil was all over my garage and driveway. Not to mention, the car still has a buring smell when hot due to the oil spray. The dealer cleaned it twice, they said to keep driving it as the oil will slowly burn away.

Yes, I am just a little bitter.
Old 02-24-10, 10:24 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Hey Guys & Gals,

Go for it, get the ECU reprogramming especially because I tested mine today by doing the following 3 or 4 times.

From a stopped position I floored the gas pedal and accelerated up to 40-45 MPH as fast as my ES350 can do it. The rev counter was at about 5500 RPMs and still climbing.

I then kept the gas pedal to the floorboard and applied the brakes firmly with my left foot. The car came to a very quick stop! Even after the car stopped I kept the gas pedal to the floorboard while still holding the brakes on and the engine was at an idle RPM speed.

I then released the brake pedal but still kept the gas pedal to the floorboard and, guess what, the engine again started to race which I immediately stopped by taking my foot off the gas pedal.

It appears that the ECU reprogramming makes the car much safer!

Last edited by jerfitz; 02-24-10 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-24-10, 10:26 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

MD350,

By now you've seen my post. Do get it. Sorry about the oil line. I had that in a motorhome once and it took months to get rid of the yucky odor.

JerryF
Old 02-24-10, 11:14 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks..I still have hope the smell will go away. The dealer tells me to keep driving it.

I actually did try to sell the car last weekend, but was offered very low values due to the recent news.

I will take both cars in for the ECU programing, that makes sense.
Old 02-24-10, 02:57 PM
Richard95
Rookie

Hey Guys & Gals,

Go for it, get the ECU reprogramming especially because I tested mine today by doing the following 3 or 4 times.

From a stopped position I floored the gas pedal and accelerated up to 40-45 MPH as fast as my ES350 can do it. The rev counter was at about 5500 RPMs and still climbing.

I then kept the gas pedal to the floorboard and applied the brakes firmly with my left foot. The car came to a very quick stop! Even after the car stopped I kept the gas pedal to the floorboard while still holding the brakes on and the engine was at an idle RPM speed.

I then released the brake pedal but still kept the gas pedal to the floorboard and, guess what, the engine again started to race which I immediately stopped by taking my foot off the gas pedal.

It appears that the ECU reprogramming makes the car much safer!
Thanks for the testing and reporting on it.
Old 02-24-10, 06:56 PM
Elex
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Jerry - Ok, so only full throttle gas and firm applying the brakes works with the override?

I guess when I was trying it yesterday, I didn't have the gas floored nor have the brake pushed down all the way.

I may try this tomorrow, but I just had the rotors turned (for the second time) a few thousand miles ago, so I really don't want to heat them up and have them warp again.

I guess I was expecting that the override would occur anytime the brake was depressed, regardless of how firmly. I guess if I were designing it, that is what I would have had in mind, but I'm probably overcautious.
Old 02-25-10, 08:39 PM
racingt
Rookie

Originally Posted by Elex
Jerry - Ok, so only full throttle gas and firm applying the brakes works with the override?

I guess when I was trying it yesterday, I didn't have the gas floored nor have the brake pushed down all the way.

I may try this tomorrow, but I just had the rotors turned (for the second time) a few thousand miles ago, so I really don't want to heat them up and have them warp again.

I guess I was expecting that the override would occur anytime the brake was depressed, regardless of how firmly. I guess if I were designing it, that is what I would have had in mind, but I'm probably overcautious.
I tried it today with various throttle openings and it worked great. Didn't need to much brake pressure to activate the feature.

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal Fix for 2007 ES350