ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

08 es350 and problems concern

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 12:51 AM
radeonboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed the transmission flare on my ES, but that doesn't bother me since its not too obvious. What really bothers me is the squeaking windshield that squeaks on the slightest bump on the road. Reminds me of a taxi for some reason...

BTW I have a '08 ES

Also, the only changes to the ES for the '08 are the side mirror sizes (shrunk) and they added 2 additional lights to the rear passengers (3 LEDs each)
Old 01-04-08, 04:18 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Dave
No 'newbie' here, this is my 3rd ES and I bought each one brand new, and enjoyed each one more than the last, including my current one. So there!

I'm confused...you have several times insisted your car has none of the issues others had indicated, yet here you imply you actually do have the cold engine start noise but you personally do not view it as a problem.

There is a big difference between not having something at all and having it and implying it does not exist in your vehicle, so I'm curious, maybe you will clarify.
Old 01-04-08, 04:19 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by radeonboy
I've noticed the transmission flare on my ES, but that doesn't bother me since its not too obvious. What really bothers me is the squeaking windshield that squeaks on the slightest bump on the road. Reminds me of a taxi for some reason...

BTW I have a '08 ES

Also, the only changes to the ES for the '08 are the side mirror sizes (shrunk) and they added 2 additional lights to the rear passengers (3 LEDs each)
It seems you could take the 07 TSIB for that area of rattle and ask it be looked at for your 08. Wish you the best with it.
Old 01-04-08, 05:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by NGG
Had my IS 350 in for service today. Guess what my loaner was? The same ES 350 I traded back to the dealer because of all the "lemon" problems. What a POS!It rattled worse than when I had it. Wind noise atrocious. Vibrating steering wheel. The whole car felt loose and inferior. Has not aged well. Glad it was not mine any longer. Really feel for those who still have to put up with this less than stellar Lexus example. Still amazes me that Lexus has not owned up to this failure. Sad. Sad!
I have an '07 ES350 with a build date of 4/06 which I bought the 1st week of May, right after they came out.

In 20 months it's been back to the dealer 3 times. For the 5K complimentary service, a full detailing, which came with the purchase, and just recently for the drivers side all-weather floor mat swap. Hardly earth shaking service visits. I too am one of the lucky owners and am very satisified with the car.

Lexus has sold around 150,000 of the new generation ES350 since it came out in early '06 and I'm sure there are a lot of satisified owners like me. Are they all good - No, are they all bad - No, would I buy another one - Yes.
Old 01-04-08, 11:59 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NGG
Had my IS 350 in for service today. Guess what my loaner was? The same ES 350 I traded back to the dealer because of all the "lemon" problems. What a POS!It rattled worse than when I had it. Wind noise atrocious. Vibrating steering wheel. The whole car felt loose and inferior. Has not aged well. Glad it was not mine any longer. Really feel for those who still have to put up with this less than stellar Lexus example. Still amazes me that Lexus has not owned up to this failure. Sad. Sad!
Well, I have to hand it to your dealer. Instead of placing your car on the used car lot and giving your problem to someone else, they placed it in the loaner fleet. That was the right decision!
Old 01-04-08, 10:51 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
I'm confused...you have several times insisted your car has none of the issues others had indicated, yet here you imply you actually do have the cold engine start noise but you personally do not view it as a problem.

There is a big difference between not having something at all and having it and implying it does not exist in your vehicle, so I'm curious, maybe you will clarify.
My thought is that what some call 'diesel sound' or 'cold weather knock' is only the result of the change from a timing belt to a noticeably louder timing chain. It was put in front of me by my service advisor before I ever drove a 350. I drove a loaner in the cold weather prior to puchasing my 350 last June. I do not consider the fact that metal on metal will be louder than rubber on metal to be an 'issue', more like simple physics. I never hear the noise after about 2 minutes, and it honestly is of no concern to me.
Old 01-05-08, 04:08 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 350Dave
My thought is that what some call 'diesel sound' or 'cold weather knock' is only the result of the change from a timing belt to a noticeably louder timing chain. It was put in front of me by my service advisor before I ever drove a 350. I drove a loaner in the cold weather prior to puchasing my 350 last June. I do not consider the fact that metal on metal will be louder than rubber on metal to be an 'issue', more like simple physics. I never hear the noise after about 2 minutes, and it honestly is of no concern to me.
I'm sure you did not intend to come off sounding less than upfront, but to have repeatedly prior claimed you had none of the issues others had shared and now indicate you have this cold engine noise but you personally do not view it as a problem, is less than upfront.

As to the timing chain explanation....if true, it would do it each time the car was started cold and in park, not just drive. There is always "metal on metal" with a timing chain from the very instant you start the car and they themselves make no sound you would hear inside the car. Ask a mechanic, I'd not rely on a service advisor, they are not required to have any mechanical skills to intake cars.
Old 01-05-08, 06:49 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I agree, why would the sound not occur if you rev the engine in park.

And I am quite surprised, too, that your car has the knock. I, too, have read numerious threads that your car does not have these issues.

Having the knock and not thinking it is a problem AND owning a car that does not knock are to different scenarios.

Dave, 800 customer service told me that they have had factory reps test drive cars with complaints of the knock. They have stated it is a normal characteristic of the engine, but also suggested to warm the engine up on cold starts before driving.

They admitted that no one knows what kind of damage this is doing to the engine (if any), but I will be "taken car of" for any kind of failure due to the knock, even after 70K miles.

So, if Lexus customer service is telling me this, it is not a small issue nor is it common on many makes/models that do not have this 3.5L engine. The operator knew exactly what my complaint was, because so many people have been calling about it.

Last edited by MD350; 01-05-08 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-05-08, 03:13 PM
2 for 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's hope they put the promise to take care of it after 70K miles in writing.
Old 01-06-08, 06:00 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I have an '07 ES350 with a build date of 4/06 which I bought the 1st week of May, right after they came out.

In 20 months it's been back to the dealer 3 times. For the 5K complimentary service, a full detailing, which came with the purchase, and just recently for the drivers side all-weather floor mat swap. Hardly earth shaking service visits. I too am one of the lucky owners and am very satisified with the car.

Lexus has sold around 150,000 of the new generation ES350 since it came out in early '06 and I'm sure there are a lot of satisified owners like me. Are they all good - No, are they all bad - No, would I buy another one - Yes.
I think rather than feel he was saying none exist where some are happy, what NGG was gearing toward was the integrity issue of selling these to unsuspecting buyers, without any disclosure at all, and in some cases where they were deceived about issues only being in the early builds, how many times have people reported that here?

In Australia this model would have been yanked from the market unless and until the transmission issue were resolved, no ifs ands or buts about it, off the market, likely yanked off the market for just the engine knocking until it's source and consequences were totally resolved.

There are too many possible issues with this car for it not be seen as a failure, mostly because many issues are left unresolved as wind noise and engine noise, with some effort made on the transmissions. That is what will cause the ES to be downgraded to below average even by Consumer Reports which I feel has cut it some major slack because they stopped just short of downgrading it though knowing it shares the Camry transmission, then add wind noise, engine issues and rattles of the kind that downgraded the GS and you can see where it is headed.
Old 01-06-08, 06:11 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2 for 1
Let's hope they put the promise to take care of it after 70K miles in writing.
They would not go that far to put it in writing. But, mine will be long gone before 70K miles.
Old 01-06-08, 06:28 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MD350
They would not go that far to put it in writing. But, mine will be long gone before 70K miles.
I asked they put in writing that hearing a knocking/tappping noise inside the car is normal for these after being told it was normal in stating he heard nothing abnormal by the Lexus Field tech....they refused, and retrospectively that's a no brainer...they would not want people knowing hearing that noise inside the car several times a day represents the car..
Old 01-06-08, 05:48 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When we first got the car last year and I took it in for the "noise", was told it was the fuel injection. They wrote this in the work order and I have a copy. After not running the car since Wednesday, I started it up tonight and WOW, what a noise. Lasted for the five minute ride (and I will not drive it sedately that cold either). If it is going to blow up, let it do it under warranty (have 10,000 miles on it since 10/06).