Should I Be Proud Of My ES350??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 10:19 AM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Be Proud Of My ES350??

Here we go....

I usually don't drive my husband's ES350, but once in a while, I get to steal it without his knowledge and go for a spin. I'm actually impressed with the luxurious interior and the panoramic top, although I can't really see it while driving. I learned to admire the wood steering wheel and shift ****....wished my 2IS came with more wood. Anyway, my girlfriend rode with me, and the first thing she noticed was the strange rattling/creaking sound coming from, we believe, the dash area, near nav. My hubby never mentioned this to me and often commented to me about how quiet and smooth his ES ride is, which is unlike my 2IS, which is a bumpy/sporty ride. Anyway, the rattling or creaking annoyed my friend so to relieve the problem, I blasted the stereo. Not a problem solver but sort of worked in the very short run. She wasn't impressed with the ES....when her Mercedes does not have rattling sound, according to her. You know, Mercedes people often make comments like...."it's only an overpriced Toyota". Whatever.

Prior to this, I thought our ES was perfect...no tranny problem, no wind noise, but THIS. What do I do? Actually, not my problem....my hubby's. I'll let him deal with it. Otherwise, it's a great car....despite what Mercedes people say about it. Really love the trunk space. Great for shopping!
Old 12-11-06, 10:27 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

The change in recent temperature kinda affect the shape of the panels. Try pressing the affected panels...wooden ones... and the problem should be gone. Just press them back in where they should be. Works for me.

Originally Posted by Cali_Girl
Here we go....

I usually don't drive my husband's ES350, but once in a while, I get to steal it without his knowledge and go for a spin. I'm actually impressed with the luxurious interior and the panoramic top, although I can't really see it while driving. I learned to admire the wood steering wheel and shift ****....wished my 2IS came with more wood. Anyway, my girlfriend rode with me, and the first thing she noticed was the strange rattling/creaking sound coming from, we believe, the dash area, near nav. My hubby never mentioned this to me and often commented to me about how quiet and smooth his ES ride is, which is unlike my 2IS, which is a bumpy/sporty ride. Anyway, the rattling or creaking annoyed my friend so to relieve the problem, I blasted the stereo. Not a problem solver but sort of worked in the very short run. She wasn't impressed with the ES....when her Mercedes does not have rattling sound, according to her. You know, Mercedes people often make comments like...."it's only an overpriced Toyota". Whatever.

Prior to this, I thought our ES was perfect...no tranny problem, no wind noise, but THIS. What do I do? Actually, not my problem....my hubby's. I'll let him deal with it. Otherwise, it's a great car....despite what Mercedes people say about it. Really love the trunk space. Great for shopping!
Old 12-11-06, 01:46 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cali-Girl,

My wife drove herself and I to the movies two weeks ago in mine and I heard the same rattle. I think you can hear it more from the passenger seat than the drivers. Went to the dealer that afternoon. Turns out there are some windshield "pins" (holders, whatever) with things that stick out the end that rub against the dash and make a creaking noise. There is a TSIB on this issue and there is a correction where they saw off the back of the pins. Solves the problem. Might want to get it checked out.

Peter
Old 12-11-06, 03:05 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

So this is a common problem?

I saw the TSIB that is posted here ... looks like a complicated procedure, which probably best handled by the dealer. Looks like a visit to Lexus in the very near future. I'm crossing my fingers that this won't be the beginning of more problems to come. So far, I've been lucky.

Peter, that was the first time I've heard the rattling/creaking sound. You're right, you have to be in the passenger side to hear it. Who knows how long we had that sound. Both hubby and I drive with the stereo on, so we wouldn't have noticed it until my girlfriend pointed it out to me, with the stereo off of course.
Old 12-11-06, 03:11 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cali...,

you may have already looked but on another forum somebody posted their rattle in that area turned out to be items in the glove box and a panel at the back of the glove box not tightly in place.

When delivered to you new, sometimes extra clips and such are put in the glove box or trunk. Check inside the glove box and see if anything is in there rattling around as you drive.

and maybe your MB owning gal-pal is just teasing you good naturedly.
Old 12-11-06, 03:26 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

I just checked the glove box. Don't see anything that would cause the rattle. No extra clips either. I pressed the panel, definitely something is present. A sound is produced at every site I press. Doesn't sound good. Well, I definitely have no plans on taking the car apart myself. Maybe hubby should try, not me. If all fails, I'm hitting over to the dealer tomorrow.
Old 12-11-06, 05:58 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just checked the glove box. Don't see anything that would cause the rattle. No extra clips either. I pressed the panel, definitely something is present. A sound is produced at every site I press. Doesn't sound good. Well, I definitely have no plans on taking the car apart myself. Maybe hubby should try, not me. If all fails, I'm hitting over to the dealer tomorrow.
Cali...,

I'd give the hubby a break and let the dealer handle it.

Sorry I cannot find the other post on it to refer you to it, it has more detail, but it is either on IS or GS forum under rattles and they post in detail what they did and it was minor stuff.
Old 12-12-06, 04:39 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

No front panel rattle in mine...but it definitely squeeks/creaks when I drive over bumps or perform somewhat-brisk turning maneuvers. I attribute these noises to the fact that Lexus does use quite a bit of plastic in the front panel/display area; I'm sure all that rubbing and flexing between panels does a lot to contribute to all that noise; the fact that I can reproduce the creaking just by pressing down on the edges of the panel prove my point just as much...
Old 12-12-06, 04:46 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toneman
No front panel rattle in mine...but it definitely squeeks/creaks when I drive over bumps or perform somewhat-brisk turning maneuvers. I attribute these noises to the fact that Lexus does use quite a bit of plastic in the front panel/display area; I'm sure all that rubbing and flexing between panels does a lot to contribute to all that noise; the fact that I can reproduce the creaking just by pressing down on the edges of the panel prove my point just as much...
Is there a quick fix from the dealer for this?
Old 12-12-06, 05:12 PM
Rudybobbo
Driver School Candidate

Now in my ES 350, I do hear a slight rattle from the passenger seatbelt holder that is attached just above and just behind the door.Also the moonroof will rattle very slightly. Now when these rattles occur, we are on real bumpy roads. So I 'm not too concerned.I do have my XM radio on all the time. So music will cover up the very slight noise.My wife has a 2004 CRV and the rattle noises in the CRV are horrible.I mean the ES 350 cost me 37 thousand. The CRV cost me 23 thousand.So neither one was real expensive.If I would have paid 60 or so grand, then I'd be really pissed off.
Old 12-14-06, 02:27 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2007es350
Is there a quick fix from the dealer for this?
I'd venture to say that maybe they could adjust the clips so that there is less play between the panels...or perhaps redesign the clips so that they're less "squeeky". I dunno...
Old 12-14-06, 05:57 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Hear yee, Hear yee....I had the same problem. Creaking around the radio and NAV unit. The part flexes as you go over bumps, rest your right knee against the side of the radio/dash etc. I took it to my dealer at my 5K service and left if for the day. The mechanic pulled the unit out and lined it with felt. Did a very clean job, and the creak is gone. I suggest you do the same.

I must say, very impressed with the service department. Fixed it right the first time, and did a clean job to boot!
Old 12-14-06, 11:17 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Yah, I think it's all the plastic that's causing this problem. I don't recall my former ES300 ever creaking. Wind noise --yes, strange sound--no. Luckily, it's just minor.

I have an appt. on Monday to get this creak/rattle taken care of. I explained the problem to the service manager. His work request is to take the affected panel/nav/dash apart. all done under warranty I will definitely ask about the felt.

Guess what....my 2IS seems to have this problem too, but only on bumps. I'll just learn to live with that. After all, I drive with either the stereo on or I'm on the bluetooth chatting away.
Old 12-15-06, 10:46 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Yah, I think it's all the plastic that's causing this problem. I don't recall my former ES300 ever creaking. Wind noise --yes, strange sound--no. Luckily, it's just minor.

I have an appt. on Monday to get this creak/rattle taken care of. I explained the problem to the service manager. His work request is to take the affected panel/nav/dash apart. all done under warranty I will definitely ask about the felt.

Guess what....my 2IS seems to have this problem too, but only on bumps. I'll just learn to live with that. After all, I drive with either the stereo on or I'm on the bluetooth chatting away.
Because the plastic flexes when you go over bumps, this is common in any car. However, I don't think Ford or GM would spend the time like Lexus did to cure it.

When I dropped the car off, the service advisor had a mechanic jump in the car with me and let me drive while he heard the noises. Then, the mechanic explained to me what he was going to do, all before I left in the loaner car. That is what I call service...I suggest you ask your service department to do the same. Almost 2K miles since the repair and still no more creaks. Good luck with it!!
Old 12-15-06, 03:55 PM
MR.FG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I notice a lot of noise when I travel bumpy roads as well, my reference point is my "old" 1992 SC300, which has ALWAYS been more solid than any ES I have ever driven, I will be looking into the fix when I take the car in for service. Other than that, I really like this car.