ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Transmission Whine

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-06, 07:10 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Whine

About to take my ES in for the 5K service. I want to have them check the transmission whine. The car shifts perfectly, and does not flare and slip. But, it does whine in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Has anyone had their ES in for the whine, and what did the service department do to fix? Should I just have them document it and leave well enough alone? I am afraid if they start working on the tranny, other issues may develop.
Old 11-15-06, 09:24 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
About to take my ES in for the 5K service. I want to have them check the transmission whine. The car shifts perfectly, and does not flare and slip. But, it does whine in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Has anyone had their ES in for the whine, and what did the service department do to fix? Should I just have them document it and leave well enough alone? I am afraid if they start working on the tranny, other issues may develop.
It makes sense for you to bring it to their attention even if it only whines in those gears.

I assume you mean while in those gears as opposed to only when shifting from 2 to 3.

Is it every time it is in those gears or only after cold start for a while and then disappears?
Old 11-15-06, 10:13 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

It actually whines right in line with the RPM. It whines while in gear, not when shifting. The higher the RPM, the higher the pitch of the whine.

I just returned from dropping it off. The tech rode with me, he says that sound is normal, but he will look further. It is also good I documented it. I was given another ES350 loaner that I will drive for the next 24 hours and see if that car has the whine.

I am also interested to see how this loaner car shifts and if it flares. It is a 5/06 build with 4900 miles. AND, I am so lucky, it is moonshell mica!!

They are also going to listen for the cold start knocking tomorrow morning when it is cold.

Stay tuned.....
Old 11-15-06, 10:47 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

It actually whines right in line with the RPM. It whines while in gear, not when shifting. The higher the RPM, the higher the pitch of the whine.

I just returned from dropping it off. The tech rode with me, he says that sound is normal, but he will look further. It is also good I documented it. I was given another ES350 loaner that I will drive for the next 24 hours and see if that car has the whine.

I am also interested to see how this loaner car shifts and if it flares. It is a 5/06 build with 4900 miles. AND, I am so lucky, it is moonshell mica!!

They are also going to listen for the cold start knocking tomorrow morning when it is cold.

Stay tuned.....
As for your trans, it may be on the normal side for you to hear a level of whine; however, I have felt for some time these trans have far more issues than the typical 3 to 4 flare, and actually experienced problems with 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. While mine would actually slip those gears I think it is possible that above average whine in either or both gears is possible if instead of a severe lack of fluid volume which causes a flare/slip there is a lessor restriction that allows just barely adequate fluid to avoid a slip or flare but a noticeable whine instead.

Engine knocking/tapping: I did not realize you were dealing with that to any level of concern at all and believe there will be nothing done about it even if acknowledged but great you have that documented too. Whether cannery works volume or sewing machine volume knocking/tapping you will very likely be told it is normal for an ES350 and one of two excuses for it, either you will be told it's the timing chain(s) or you will be told the other, fuel injection, or the rare and first explanation given me on my former car, a piston but it's clearance is normal.

Good luck with it all.
Old 11-15-06, 10:54 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I will say this, I started my loaner up on a cold engine at the dealership, and it did have the same engine knock that my car has....must be very common.

I'll give updates tomorrow as to what the service department says.
Old 11-15-06, 10:59 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

I will say this, I started my loaner up on a cold engine at the dealership, and it did have the same engine knock that my car has....must be very common.

I'll give updates tomorrow as to what the service department says.

MD,

Yes it is very common, the rarest of the rare is that cold started demonstrator I drove at first dealer, a white color like your current loaner, that puppy was VERY quiet, cold, hot and in between.

From there they go from sewing machine level volume to cannery works volume of knocking/tapping and as explained to me it is the valve clearance, something is not uniform in that department at Lexus/Toyota.

Thanks for plans to keep us posted on the findings.
Old 11-15-06, 02:15 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

My loaner car has the same whine in the tranny. I just drove it a good 40 miles. So, it has the whine and it has the cold engine knock. I guess these are very common characteristics of the ES.
Old 11-15-06, 02:20 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

My loaner car has the same whine in the tranny. I just drove it a good 40 miles. So, it has the whine and it has the cold engine knock. I guess these are very common characteristics of the ES.
A level of whine is, my current is more noticeable than my former to a slight degree and both would be even more so if one or more of the much discussed plugs were out.

The knocking tapping is a characteristic of the ES unfortunately as they seem not able to consistantly produce engines like the demonstrator I drove and some seem to have on here, though if not, it sure would be better if they were all sewing machine level volume at worst and not all over the map with it.
Old 11-16-06, 06:14 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Got my car back from the shop today. Tranmission whine is ruled NORMAL. My loaner had the whine also. Cold start knock when accelerating is ruled NORMAL. My loaner had the knock also.

Dealer did align my trunk, it was off slightly where it meets the quarter panel. They also pulled out my radio and nav system and lined the unit with felt to stop a rattle. Also the rattle in the front right door panel is gone. Work was done very clean, no scratches to the dash, etc. Very impressed with the service experiance.

At least the tranny whine and engine knock are documented. Good to go for another 5K miles.!
Old 11-16-06, 06:50 PM
theredkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my car back from the shop today. Tranmission whine is ruled NORMAL. My loaner had the whine also. Cold start knock when accelerating is ruled NORMAL. My loaner had the knock also.
MD350, so are you worried about this NORMAL characteristics? or you feel the same as ES350Bob that your dealer just lied to you.
Old 11-16-06, 06:54 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

No, not worried. Wanted it checked, but not worried. I love my ES 350.

I just wanted to post my experience so others would know. I love these forums, I think it is a great way for owners to communicate.
Old 11-16-06, 06:56 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by theredkid
MD350, so are you worried about this NORMAL characteristics? or you feel the same as ES350Bob that your dealer just lied to you.

Wouldn't your question be better posed to Gumball or LexBob, ask them if they would view it normal for their cars to knock and tap?

BTW, the dealer did not lie to me about the valves needing repair and I never complained about any transmission whine on either of my vehicles.
Old 11-16-06, 07:08 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Wouldn't your question be better posed to Gumball or LexBob, ask them if they would view it normal for their cars to knock and tap?

BTW, the dealer did not lie to me about the valves needing repair and I never complained about any transmission whine on either of my vehicles.
Bob, I believe he was asking the question to MD350...Not you and not me...
Old 11-16-06, 07:18 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Bob, I believe he was asking the question to MD350...Not you and not me...
I am very aware of what he was asking.

Let's get your opinion on this issue, is it normal for people to hear diesel engine knocking tapping in these cars even though your's does not do this?
Old 11-16-06, 07:45 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

MD350 - I had my vehicle looked at for the trans whine about 2-3 months ago. My tech confirmed it was there after an extensive road test, but we never reached a conclusion on it. At the time he did mention replacing the trans, but was reluctant to do so in case this didn't solve the issue. I didn't pursue it as we had other things to discuss with the trans. I found the whine mainly around 2000-2500rpm in 1-3rd gears. My car didn't do this initially.

Quick Reply: Transmission Whine