ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-06, 06:19 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
So what tires would you recommend for the stock rims? What quality tires would give us the best ride and which would give us the best handling?

How much of a size change can we safely make without purchasing new rims (obviously keeping the 17s)?
The goal isn't the make the wheel & tire combo larger overall... Remember changes in tire sizing will affect your speedometer and if you have NAV, it may become less accurate. Instead, plus sizing refers to using larger wheels and lower profile tires while still maintaining the same or close to original tire & wheel diameter.

The big tradeoff... Rubber filled with air is more forgiving than aluminum.
Old 10-13-06, 08:18 AM
lvdrumn
Driver School Candidate

So what tires would you recommend for the stock rims? What quality tires would give us the best ride and which would give us the best handling?

How much of a size change can we safely make without purchasing new rims (obviously keeping the 17s)?
For your stock rim size, you won't want to replace good tires just to add 10cm in width. Only if your tires need replacing, and you want to keep the stock OE wheels, would I consider going to a 225/50/17.

Remember, the over diameter of the OE tire size (215/55/17) is 26.3 inches. If you want a different size tire (17", 18" or 19") you have to keep the overall diameter very close to the 26.3 inches.

LvDrumn
Old 10-13-06, 11:35 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I realize we want to keep the diameter as close to stock (26.3") as possible, and I'm not a fan of low profile tires as I'm not willing to trade a comfortable ride for the low profile styling.

I was wondering how wide a tire could be fit onto our stock rims. For example, a 265/45/17 would be a close fit, diameter-wise, but I don't know if it's too wide for our OEM wheels.

This is for when my original tires wear out.
Old 10-13-06, 12:44 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lvdrumn
...I just put 18's on my lexus...Lenso LS5 wheels and Continental Extreme Contacts (225/45/18)...they ride awesome, and the difference is unbelievable....
LvDrumn, I was originally considering going from our stock 215/55/17 to 225/45/18. The more I read about, the more understanding I get about improvement in car handling (with a tradeoff in ride quality). BUT, one things nobody mentioned is the safety and handling in the bad weather. Showing off with a new set of wheels is nice on a sunny day cruising down the perfect straight road. How about handling over the bumps, driving in the rain, and the most important for us here on East Coast - going through a foot of snow and ice? I'm more concerned about snow and ice than other factors. Didn't even realized that a few of my friends at work actually have set of summer and winter wheels for this reason. Wider wheels have a bigger weight distribution over the larger area which creates more hazzard going through a heavy rain and a hard time pulling in the snow even with front wheel drive. What is your take on this? It looks like you are from CA, so you probably don't have much experience with your wheels through a snow. I wish someone on East Coast can answer this question based on their experience with a wheel switch and difference in handling in a bad weather and snow...
Old 10-13-06, 01:02 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Yes, I realize we want to keep the diameter as close to stock (26.3") as possible, and I'm not a fan of low profile tires as I'm not willing to trade a comfortable ride for the low profile styling.

I was wondering how wide a tire could be fit onto our stock rims. For example, a 265/45/17 would be a close fit, diameter-wise, but I don't know if it's too wide for our OEM wheels.

This is for when my original tires wear out.
265 will almost undoubtedly be too wide for the OEM 17" wheel...you're talking an additional almost two inches of tread width; that in itself doesn't mean that a 265 tire has to go on a rim that's two inches wider than the OEM wheel, but you'll definitely need a wheel whose width is properly sized for that tread size...and the OEM wheel won't fit that bill.
Old 10-13-06, 06:55 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by twister
LvDrumn, I was originally considering going from our stock 215/55/17 to 225/45/18. The more I read about, the more understanding I get about improvement in car handling (with a tradeoff in ride quality). BUT, one things nobody mentioned is the safety and handling in the bad weather. Showing off with a new set of wheels is nice on a sunny day cruising down the perfect straight road. How about handling over the bumps, driving in the rain, and the most important for us here on East Coast - going through a foot of snow and ice? I'm more concerned about snow and ice than other factors. Didn't even realized that a few of my friends at work actually have set of summer and winter wheels for this reason. Wider wheels have a bigger weight distribution over the larger area which creates more hazzard going through a heavy rain and a hard time pulling in the snow even with front wheel drive. What is your take on this? It looks like you are from CA, so you probably don't have much experience with your wheels through a snow. I wish someone on East Coast can answer this question based on their experience with a wheel switch and difference in handling in a bad weather and snow...
Good point!!!!

I put plus sized wheels on a V-dub back in the late 80's, not for bling but for corners, combined with coils the car was amazing around turns! Hook a turn and would rail on three wheels!

Anyway the car met it's demise when during a sudden downpour at 45mph on the tollway. It got washed by a semi and hydroplaned on water collected in wheel grooves near the bottom of an overpass, freak thing because we were going so slow... Slid sideways to the left, oversteer right and hit the semi-trailer in the mid marker light, A-piller almost through the head of my passenger, spun around to left and hit the center wall.... Only accident I've ever been in and I've been sideways in 6500lb vehicles with 3500lbs of trailer attached!
Old 09-02-08, 09:11 PM
Druha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Macklin
There is a long thread on this subject on page three - 'Going bigger wheels and wider tires'.

Most agree this car would look great with bigger tires, but no one has stepped up to the plate yet except one guy who bought his with 18's. Pics of that car are there.

Go for it and post some pics!
where's this thread?
Old 09-17-08, 06:58 PM
JRICH
Driver School Candidate

My es on 20's.

Kept it classy, but edgy. Wish the car would allow wider rims though.

JRICH
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket wheels-img_4065.jpg  
Old 09-17-08, 07:00 PM
JRICH
Driver School Candidate

another pic......
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket wheels-img_4068.jpg  
Old 09-17-08, 07:00 PM
Druha
Pole Position

lookin good, very nice.
Old 09-17-08, 07:04 PM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

Very nice! How wide are your rims?
Old 09-18-08, 09:25 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I love it! Sexy and classy looking.
Old 09-19-08, 02:12 PM
Druha
Pole Position

I got used hypersilver IS300 17x7 +50 wheels for C$540 using oem michelin's, and 90% tread Yokohama 225/55/17 Guardex F721 for $515 (swapped, mounted, balanced) Although I wish I had 19s, I'm glad with my wheels for only $1000. Not my first choice of wheels, but no complaints especially for the price.

Look at how close the front brakes are.

Old 09-19-08, 02:19 PM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

Very nice! Makes me miss my IS...
Old 09-19-08, 10:59 PM
JRICH
Driver School Candidate

My rims are 20x8.....I think it would look better with 9 or 10 inch wide wheel. But the car will not accept it. My father has a Merc E class, we have the same size tire but his wheels are wider and the look is nicer.

That being said, I do get compliments on the car. I am thinking about lowering it. I thought there was a thread about this with someone who lowered and es with Camry aftermarket springs/coilovers. Cannot find it anymore?!?

Thanks for the kind words,
JRICH

Quick Reply: Aftermarket wheels